Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Road Star 1700 Factory Seat Question

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Knutselsmurf 
#1 ·
I just got this recently & bike came with Mustang Daytripper. I loved this seat which I coincedentally had on my Shadow 750. But on the RS, I'd like a 2 piece seat & hopefully really comfortable as I put some hours on it when I can. My question is how comfortable is the factory seat? Mine didn't come with it since I bought it used but I can find them cheap online. It sounds like from reviews that the factory seat sits higher and a lil further back on the frame than Mustangs or Renegades. Anyone have feedback on the comfort of the factory seat for long rides? I really don't want to drop $500-650 for a new seat set. (I attached pic of the Daytripper for reference)

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If it's the same seat as is on the older 1600 (I have a 2003 Roadstar) the factory seat is not too bad. It definitely looks higher and a lot of people say the Mustangs and Corbins push you forward so I think a lot people would agree that you will be higher and further back. In my case, I am quite short and prefer closer and lower. If you are interested in a trade - let me know as I am using a corbin seat but still interested in getting a little lower. My stock seats are in fine to excellent condition and boxed up in storage. PM me if you want to talk about it.

#3 ·
Thanks for info Annie. The Daytripper definitely sits lower than stock I"m sure. I'm 5'11" (with boots on ;) and I'm able to keep both feet flat on ground with some room to spare. Have you checked out the Saddleman Renegade? Reviews and pics look like that thing moves you forward 2-3" and lowers you about 2". I can tell you that the Daytripper drops you some but I can't see it pushing you forward. Frankly, if I'm really getting on the throttle I'm sliding back along the seat bc there is not that much rear butt support compared to other seats. Not a deal breaker for me by any means so I'll hang on to it for while to see. However, I'll research parts to see if yours will fit my 2007 and PM you. Thanks!

#4 ·
I absolutely hated the stock seat. It was really uncomfortable to me for even a short ride. There are a lot of different opinions on which aftermarket seat is best but it really comes down to what fits you and your wallet. Most of the people I have heard that didn't mind the stock seat were women for some reason. Maybe they have better natural rear end padding. :D

#5 ·
"I absolutely hated the stock seat. It was really uncomfortable to me for even a short ride. There are a lot of different opinions on which aftermarket seat is best but it really comes down to what fits you and your wallet. Most of the people I have heard that didn't mind the stock seat were women for some reason. Maybe they have better natural rear end padding."

Yes, you are so right. Seat comfort is all perspective. My thoughts was I liked the look of the stock seat and can find them around $50-100 online. I figured at that price, if I hated it I could turn around and get most money back. The ED Seat for $550 or Mustang Touring for $650 is just too rich for my blood.

#6 ·
I swapped mine for the Pacific Coast Stars comfort seat. With the core its only $125.00 and I love it. Having said that you do not have the stockers to send back. I would check into them and see what they say. They offer a 30 day money back trial also, its almost a win win.

#7 ·
#11 ·
Just a follow up. I ordered the stock style comfort seat from pacific coast star on June 3rd
and to date haven't received a thing from them other than my original P.O.. No seat no correspondence nada. I'm going to wait until 8/3 and if I still haven't received anything I'm going to cancel the order. I figure 60 days is more than enough time to fill an order or communicate to the customer some kind of expected ship date.

#12 ·
Sorry to hear that. Have you called them? I have made four or so orders from them and always get the orders within a week and I am on the east coast. The last order I made had a set grips on it the day after I ordered I got a call on my cell from PCS the grip was back ordered he told me I could wait or he could give me a similar part that cost about 30 dollars more for the same price. I have always had good luck with them. I would call them before you give up on them. Its hard for them to fix a mistake if they are unaware of it.

#13 ·
I called today and they said they were getting close to making my seat. Sorry 60 days and they're getting close to making my seat didn't cut it so I cancelled my order.
Ordered the ED big touring seat instead and it should ship out to me in a couple of days.
Now I will have to put my 2 pc mustang seat up for sale.

#16 ·
If you don't want to pay a lot of money you can modify the stock seat. The trouble wit the stock seat the shape. Its round shape misses the fixed point of your bike, You keep surging to that good posture. Hanging on your handlebar you slide underneath and finally you sit on your back instead on your but.
With refurbishing the foam you can relocate your position and become a good posture. Al last a new custom and unique upholstery and your done.

This is of course no stock seat, but an example of his work
Here in Holland it will cost you €160, including new foam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.