New shed for bikes... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

New shed for bikes...

I am about to start building some new digs for the bikes, in the form of a 16'x20' shed in the side yard; it was originally going to be 20'x30' but we thought that would perhaps be more than necessary. (well that, plus we just sank 16K into our Africa trip a couple months ago) So, I'm curious as to what you folks have for storage space for your rides... do you just leave them out in the elements? Or fortunate enough to have a garage to stick 'em in? Or a separate shed? Or perhaps the ultimate home for your wheels... a man-cave-slash-bike-shed?

Reason I ask is because I am hoping to go with the latter. (though I shudder at the term "man cave"!) Our present storage shed is a mere 8'x12', so unfortunately the toys must stay out in the elements (although with quality bike covers) all summer. We had big plans to start building the new shed last summer, but I need help to do so, (I am unable to do much physical work myself due to a permanent spinal injury) and no helpers could be found on our little island. But we need to have a proper home for the bikes this year... no more putting it off, so the Missus and I will have the summer to putter away at building the new shed.

I am hoping that 16'x20' will be large enough for the two bikes and garden tractor, a nice little workshop area, and still have room for a small couch, beer fridge, big-screen TV/audio system, etc, to make it into a comfy little, well... you know... that cave thing we talked about... This photo shows the size/style of building we want. (pic borrowed from Internet) So, do you think this would be big enough for this purpose, or should we maybe stick to our original plan of 20'x30'?

Any pointers/suggestions, construction tips would be very much appreciated! Would love to see pictures of where you keep your bikes. Once we get going on the shed I will post some pics of our progress

Glen

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA

Last edited by camperbc; 07-14-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:12 PM

Garage
I would go bigger. I have my bike stored in a single car garage with the snow blower, lawn mower, a small workbench and a rolling toolbox. Also a bin for a cord of firewood and some shelving units. Ladders and other tools hanging on the walls and a couple of adirondack chairs. Not much room left.

You have 2 bikes and want a man cave too so I would go bigger. My single car garage is about 14 X 22 and there's just enough space to get the lawn mower past the bike so I can cut the grass.
camperbc and camperbc like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKnight View Post
I would go bigger. I have my bike stored in a single car garage with the snow blower, lawn mower, a small workbench and a rolling toolbox. Also a bin for a cord of firewood and some shelving units. Ladders and other tools hanging on the walls and a couple of adirondack chairs. Not much room left.

You have 2 bikes and want a man cave too so I would go bigger. My single car garage is about 14 X 22 and there's just enough space to get the lawn mower past the bike so I can cut the grass.
OK, but it's worth noting that I won't have a snowblower, lawn mower, rolling toolbox, firewood storage, ladders, nor Adirondack chairs. Just the two bikes, a small workbench, garden tractor, couch and fridge. (nothing big like a foosball table, bar, stripper pole, etc) Everything else will be shelved on the wall, including TV, audio equipment, my photography, mementos, etc. At 16x20 it's a bit larger (by 12 sq/ft) than your garage. Plus there is about 200 more sq/ft of storage space in the loft (10'x20')

Thanks for your input BKnight; much appreciated!

Glen

"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
clock/thermometer set
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:05 AM
KCW

Garage
dont want to change the subject, but just to interject: are you going to build it yourself, from lumber, have someone else build it, or get some form of kit?

I put up a garden shed several years ago, and I could buy one pre assembled, buy a kit from home depot or Lowes, and for what those would have cost me I was able to build one from lumber twice as big for the same cost, built with FAR better materials, and put together much better. It took me a month of weekends and long evenings, but it was well worth it.

The deciding factor for me is 200 sq feet or less is a utility shed and not a "building". So mine is 12 x 16". Putting up a garage would require more permits and inspections and rules.

I can get my bike in there for the winter, but during riding season the bike is stored in the garage (driveway access).

One other thing I learned from do-it-yourself: If the roof angle is 20° or less things will stay on the roof without sliding off (including your self). IF the roof angle is 30° or more then NOTHING will stay on the roof without being nailed or tied down, the plywood, the shingles, your tools, nails... you have to have cross supports as you work, and you have to hold everything in place.

The difference means doing the whole roof from rafters to finished shingles in about a day, to taking about a week.

Last edited by KCW; 05-14-2017 at 01:00 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 12:59 PM
KCW

Garage
Total cost about $1200 eight years ago.
Other than raking the roof too steep (long story) the only other mistake I made:

the outside walls are panels that have a fake board line cut into them. They sorta look like the siding on my house. Since the lines ran the length of the panels I figured they would seal better if I put them vertical. Every edge lines up with a 2x4 that way. Problem is the plywood they are made of had more grain levels running the long way, and by putting them vertical they tended to bow/warp a bit. If I had put the the other (right) way they would not have warped, but I dont know how I would have sealed the edges?

photos from start to finish:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1295.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	70193   Click image for larger version

Name:	GS1024.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	70201  

Last edited by KCW; 05-14-2017 at 03:48 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Total cost about $1200 eight years ago.

photos from start to finish:
Looks great, KCW!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:52 AM

Garage
No stripper pole camperbc? But that wouldn't take up much room...

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaMassGirl View Post
No stripper pole camperbc? But that wouldn't take up much room...

OK, but you will have to come to Fogo Island for a visit, and show us how to use it.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
clock/thermometer set
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:11 PM

Garage
Hahahaha.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 06:38 PM

camperbc - I like what you've selected. I use a CycleShell cover for my bike [950 Tourer] that is custom made in Colorado. You mentioned that you want a nice little workshop area which to me says go bigger. You'll need space to maneuver two bikes plus have your tools readily accessible and I wouldn't cheat myself on the workshop area, especially if you're doing anything in the non-riding season. You don't mention what bikes you have but I believe you'll do better with a little more space for a decent workshop. That's my dime....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode