What event/movie started your 2-wheeled passion? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What event/movie started your 2-wheeled passion?

I grew up on the border of The Bronx. I was about 8 yrs old when I heard & saw my first bike. It was a 62 HD Padhead. I only remember this because I was at my local pizza parlor, and had gotten a slice & a coke. I was sitting on the curb enjoying a slice of heaven and this guy on his HD & his buddy roll up. I have loved all bikes since!

The attached picture is the movie I saw in the early 80s that made me realize that bike are about freedom.

Now my question for all is ... What event, scenario, or movie made you catch the 2-wheeled bug?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Started-my-passion2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	77858  

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:08 AM

As a kid I lived next to an Esso gas station in New Haven CT which was one of four at a major intersection. This was the late 60s and it was common to see chopper gangs pass through and hang out. On warm summer nights I'd sit at my bedroom window and watch these gypsies roll in and have impromptu parties... I'd dream of what it would be like to cruise the roads at night sitting on nothing but a rumbling motor and two wheels. The scene in 'The Wild One' where Johnny and Kathie were riding under a moonlit sky really struck a chord with me. Later after seeing Goose's Kaw 1000 in Mad Max it was the bike I lusted after for a long time.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 02-12-2018 at 07:43 AM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 08:01 AM
KCW

Garage
When I was 14 one of my friends got a new Honda XL75 for christmas

and I had the only concrete driveway on our block that he could ride it on. That was the first time I rode a motorcycle.

But it was already in my genes. My maternal grandfather had a HD back in the 1920s. My father had a 1936 BMW R3 in Germany in 1946.

My favorite MC movie is "On Any Given Sunday" .... and here comes Malcolm, making it all look easy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 08:32 PM

Garage
I was raised in a side car, at least that's the story. My dad had a 1960 BMW ex German police bike with a sidecar. He bought it while stationed in Germany serving in the army in 1965. I can remember going for rides all over the place. I tried to find a better picture but this is all I could find. This picture was in the 80s I think. That's my dad and cousin in picture. So I guess the event was my dad.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:00 PM

Garage
i got hold of an old mini bike minus an engine when i was around 9 or 10 my dad helped me put an old briggs on it, i remember having to wrap the rope onto a spool to start it. i used pick up my little sister at school on it, that was some of the best time's of my life, i never stopped chasing that feeling

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 02-12-2018 at 09:04 PM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:59 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
... This picture was in the 80s I think. That's my dad and cousin in picture.
just from the cars in the photo I would guess that was in the 1960s,

but we did not have color photos like that in the '60s, that looks more like 1970s's photos with the rounded edges.

sometimes there is a date from the processing on the back of the photo.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Last edited by KCW; 02-13-2018 at 09:35 AM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:09 AM

The photo looks like it was taken with a 110 camera, a very low quality film format introduced in the early 70s. It looks like it could be mid to late 70s but then lesblank would know better than any of us.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 02-13-2018 at 10:14 AM.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
The photo looks like it was taken with a 110 camera, a very low quality film format introduced in the early 70s. It looks like it could be mid to late 70s but then lesblank would know better than any of us.
I'm guessing on the time frame. I moved off to college in 1972 and it was after that. No date on back of picture. Hey, I have a hard time recalling what I did last week, much less 30 plus years ago. ��

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 AM

Garage
I remember the first bike I ever got was a yamaha 50cc and I got it for Christmas. I still remember the first time I got on it I flipped over the handlebars because I forgot where the brake was and hit a rock lol. Rode for about 2 years before I got a yamaha 80cc. I was in third grade when I was racing one of my buddies in the woods and hit some leaves and slid my bike into a tree and cut off half of my pinkie finger. That didn't stop me, and I've been riding ever since.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 05:21 PM

Garage
When I was nine we went to visit my cousins at their cottage. They'd just got two Honda Mini Trails and their cottage was on a private road so we had lots of places to ride them. Once they let me try it I was hooked and they had a helluva time getting me off it. The next summer my parents got me a brand new 74 Honda Z50 - blue with chrome fenders. I quickly outgrew that (plus my little brother got big enough to ride it and I didn't want to share...lol) so I decided an XR75 would be the next dream bike. My friend and I saved up, collected bottles, did odd jobs - literally drove our parents crazy until that summer of 77 when Dad took the Z50 to the Honda dealer for 'service' and came home with a brand new red XR75. There were four of us that had them that summer, and one guy had an XL75 (he wanted a headlight). I rode the crap out of that little bike and had the time of my life that summer and the next. The neighbors must've hated our little motorcycle gang...lol. I guess I've been hooked ever since.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode