What's the coldest temperature you have ridden in? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
View Poll Results: What's the coldest temperature you have ridden in?
0 - 5 degrees Fahrenheit 1 4.76%
6 - 10 degrees Fahrenheit 2 9.52%
11 - 15 degrees Fahrenheit 1 4.76%
16 - 20 degrees Fahrenheit 4 19.05%
21 - 25 degrees Fahrenheit 4 19.05%
26 - 30 degrees Fahrenheit 5 23.81%
31- 35 degrees Fahrenheit 2 9.52%
36 - 40 degrees Fahrenheit 0 0%
Other 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What's the coldest temperature you have ridden in?

With winter slowly leaving us and some good riding weather just around the corner here is a quick question.

What is the coldest temperature you have ridden in. Not just down the driveway and back. Let's say at least a 30 mile ride or 30 minutes. The coldest I've ridden in was this year at 16 degrees Fahrenheit on my 45 minute commute. How about you.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 PM

30 miles round trip to work. 23 degrees 2 weeks ago and wasn't feeling 100% but decided to do it anyway. By the time I got home I was chilled to the bone and could not get warm although I was wearing a lot of warm winter gear.
The next day, I had a sore throat, congestion and a real bad cold.
Haven't ridden since and want to fully recover before I try it again. If it is sunny and 35 degrees out, I will go for it.
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The worst ride this winter was last week. It was 40 and raining. I was bundled up like the 16 degree day with rain suit on this time. Don't know if it was the humidity or what but felt very much colder. I don't like the cold or rain, mix the two and it's one miserable ride to me. Road_slug, hope you finally warmed up and feeling better.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
The worst ride this winter was last week. It was 40 and raining. I was bundled up like the 16 degree day with rain suit on this time. Don't know if it was the humidity or what but felt very much colder. I don't like the cold or rain, mix the two and it's one miserable ride to me. Road_slug, hope you finally warmed up and feeling better.
Yep between the rain, cold and dampness then add some direct wind, you are going to be cold.
Yeah I had the chills that night and knew I was getting sick. It has been 8 days and finally feeling human again. The first 5 days sucked and slept like crap. Thanks for asking.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:44 AM

Garage
I've gone riding in 1c weather the issue was not going it was coming home. -5c (27f) . The one thing I find help is I always wear my full face in the cold ( less than 10c ). Above 10c I only wear my beanie but sometimes use a face mask.

Mark

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 02:01 PM

Garage
I used to ride my GSX1100 to work in the winter in NJ (the year I didn't have a car). Temps averaged around 28 -30 degrees most days in the early mornings (not counting wind chill factor).

I would put on long johns and two pairs of jeans. A shirt and then a sweatshirt under my jacket and scarf covering my chin and nose. I remember getting to work and having trouble getting my knees to bend as I tried to get off the bike.

I didn't have any purpose-made "cycle gear" in those days, just a 3/4 helmet and a leather jacket.

Now I live in FL.

-Mike
2014 V-Star 1300 Deluxe, Bag guards and trim rails, Custom Dynamic LED tail/turn, Signal Dynamics BackOff module, Pathblazer headlight strobe, Yamaha Passing Lamps, E.D. Pass seat. Memphis Shades lowers, O2 sensor by-pass.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:55 PM

In the late 80s my main bike was a KZ750 E3 which I rode year round to work from 'The Cape' to Boston (70 miles one way) and IIRC (and my head isn't FOS) temps would reach down into the single digits (Fahrenheit). There's a guy I'd see who also commuted long distance and just the hopes of seeing his bike, which I lusted after, made the ride easier... he had the original Suzuki Katana (designed by Target Design of Germany)... stylistically ground breaking even almost ten years after it went into production and far prettier than the later models wearing the Katana badge.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, I'm not the only one who has had a brain freeze moment when it comes to riding on insanely cold days. But I made that decision years ago when I became a daily commuter, wouldn't change it for anything. Got to have some bad to enjoy the good.
Diogenes415 and Diogenes415 like this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:05 AM

You didn't get a low enough temperature. I'd just got back from Korea in 87, my only transportation was my 883 Sportster over there, but I didn't have to ride far. I was stationed at Ft. Riley KS. I went out to start my car early, but it wouldn't turn over, the oil was too thick. I was 40 miles from the fort, my 883 was parked on the porch and sheltered from the the cold. The temperature was -20 Fahrenheit. I got to work on time, with frostbite on my right foot. On the way home I stopped by the parts store and buy a oil heater dipstick and stuck it in the engine. As a side note, when I got home one of my pipes had burst, and I had about 1/2 an acre of lake in my backyard.

Doc
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
You didn't get a low enough temperature. I'd just got back from Korea in 87, my only transportation was my 883 Sportster over there, but I didn't have to ride far. I was stationed at Ft. Riley KS. I went out to start my car early, but it wouldn't turn over, the oil was too thick. I was 40 miles from the fort, my 883 was parked on the porch and sheltered from the the cold. The temperature was -20 Fahrenheit. I got to work on time, with frostbite on my right foot. On the way home I stopped by the parts store and buy a oil heater dipstick and stuck it in the engine. As a side note, when I got home one of my pipes had burst, and I had about 1/2 an acre of lake in my backyard.

Doc
I think that is the coldest by far. What is it with wind chill as your riding? 200 below zero?!
No wonder your foot froze!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode