Marijuana legalization discussion - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Marijuana legalization discussion

Should marijuana be legal in all 50 states on state and federal levels?
To me, this is a double edged sword issue and can think of both pros and cons of legalization.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:39 AM

I don't think so. I have no issue with it being researched and if medicinal advantages are truly proven then allow it with regulations similar to other RX drugs. But to just legalize it across the board to everyone I believe is opening Pandora's box. It has been illegal to use since it's beginning in the USA. Nothing has changed about the substance. The only thing that has changed is it's acceptance by society. It's acceptance does not justify it's legalization. There are several things in this country we have legalized simply because we accepted it and look where that has gotten us.
blueblitz09 and blueblitz09 like this.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
I don't think so. I have no issue with it being researched and if medicinal advantages are truly proven then allow it with regulations similar to other RX drugs. But to just legalize it across the board to everyone I believe is opening Pandora's box. It has been illegal to use since it's beginning in the USA. Nothing has changed about the substance. The only thing that has changed is it's acceptance by society. It's acceptance does not justify it's legalization. There are several things in this country we have legalized simply because we accepted it and look where that has gotten us.
It gets legalized for recreational use to keep people dumb and keep politicians in power.
This isn't grass we are talking about from the 70s. Its more potent to mind control humans.
It also has created a man bun culture of people that don't want to work and smoke pot all day long and be lazy.
Medicinal yes. And not because "my finger hurts so please give me a med card".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:20 AM

Garage
I think that is should be legalized across the all of the states. It is better for you than drinking and does not make you feel as "out of control" as drunkenness does. So I've heard Yes, it is still bad for your health. Does it have uses for medical reasons? Science suggests it does. The gov. could also make millions and millions from the tax off of it. Millions that could go to infrastructure, military, health care. Or a big one....social security. Whether the gov. would actually use the tax money for good is another debate. This may or may not be a reason to legalize it in some peoples eyes but you would also save money and use resources to catch real criminals besides petty weed charges. I would rather a drug task force not have to ever worry about catching a pot dealer. I would rather that group to focus their efforts on the opioid crisis. Just my two cents.
Elk, Elk, Scrumdown and 1 others like this.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:39 AM

Garage
In the long run legalization isn't going to hurt the economy and truly the argument of alcohol being so readily available everywhere now.. legalizing pot isn't going to make it an epidemic . I agree with applying resources of DEA to other issues than pot. pot really is no worse than alcohol and they made that legal. The unhealthy aspect of pot is actually not as bad as alcohol and cost of production is lower so the government profit would be higher. Maybe it's a helping hand to getting the healthcare the US needs. It's going legal here in Canada later this summer. There must be a business model that supports it or they wouldn't be doing it. I'd be curious as to what the numbers from the 9 states that allow pot are ....for sales and tax intake since it's been legal there ??

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:56 AM
KCW

Garage
there is a big problem still with all the states that have legalized pot

they used restricted growing and heavy taxing as part of the reasoning to legalize it

the problem is, this is not like trying to distill ethanol in your garage without poisoning yourself

anyone, anywhere in the US could grow all the pot they need for their own use, in their own garden or makeshift green house, literally for free.

The price would go near zero. There would no black market. And there would be no tax 'benefit' to rationalize it.

That is where it will all end up eventually - as long as legal outlets are charging $400 per ounce for something that literally grows like a weed, there will still be a black market.

Sooner or later someone will sue the government, and argue that if its legal, then its LEGAL, and you cannot stop people from growing flowers, tomatoes and pot for their own use.
Elk, Elk, blueblitz09 and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:43 AM

Garage
It's a long way to figure the ins and outs to it but it's better to legalize it and control it than the issues the black market product can present .. a lot of beer drinkers or liquor drinkers aren't going to make there own so there will always be a market even for the few that will grow there own .. there will be a market as year round consumption most can't grow enough to cover personal use if the right controls/limits are in place.

Pot has evolved a lot over the years for sure.. but growing it properly and well is a science just like making alcohol.

If the laws follow alcohol and consumption locations and intoxication limits are set ..society as whole will adapt and have the same issues it already has..just not as strict regulation and penalties for use.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
It has been illegal to use since it's beginning in the USA. Nothing has changed about the substance.
That is not true. It was only made illegal somewhere in the 1930s. Harry J. Anslinger was a huge proponent in making pot illegal. And he did so to improve his finances and no other reason. With ties to logging & paper companies as well DuPont. It was good for his wallet to make it illegal.
Read more here
Elk, Elk, Mrdub and 3 others like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
there is a big problem still with all the states that have legalized pot

they used restricted growing and heavy taxing as part of the reasoning to legalize it

the problem is, this is not like trying to distill ethanol in your garage without poisoning yourself

anyone, anywhere in the US could grow all the pot they need for their own use, in their own garden or makeshift green house, literally for free.

The price would go near zero. There would no black market. And there would be no tax 'benefit' to rationalize it.

That is where it will all end up eventually - as long as legal outlets are charging $400 per ounce for something that literally grows like a weed, there will still be a black market.

Sooner or later someone will sue the government, and argue that if its legal, then its LEGAL, and you cannot stop people from growing flowers, tomatoes and pot for their own use.
This is a valid point and I have never thought about this. I still do not think this would ever happen. Economies do not work this way naturally. The only way I think this would happen is if the gov. put an extreme tax on the product, then you would get more people growing for own consumption and less tax revenue. This is called the Laffer curve. The gov, would never do that and people would not be forced to grow their own. Why don't people make their own beer? You can buy the materials to make it at the grocery store. The reason is that it won't be nearly as good and practically not any cheaper. Same with pot. Growing pot is a hell of a lot harder than just planting it and watering it. You can watch series on Netflix on what it takes to grow weed. You can grow tobacco and role cigs. Why don't people do that? Because it takes time and energy. Two things that Americans are not willing to sacrifice when you can just simply buy the item/product.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:18 AM

Garage
There will always be a black market for most items sold. Some people just refuse to pay retail or try really heard to not paying any taxes. Even sales tax.
Summer and Summer like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode