Hurricane Harvey casualty - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hurricane Harvey casualty

This is for you gear heads out there. My son's best friend has a 72 Oldsmobile 442 with a 455. The car sat under 4 foot of water for over a month after Hurricane Harvey. Motor had just been installed with less than 500 miles run time. Make a long story short I'm redoing the drive train. His house was flooded also with no insurance. The engine was totally under water for that month. Attached are a few pictures on cylinders that the exhaust valve must have been open and water got in. When I pulled the heads I wanted to cry. He didn't have insurance so he's paying me what he can to get it running. Going to take total motor, tranny, rear end, gas tank, power steering pump, basically everything. He's doing the interior. Drained 18 quarts on water out of engine before oil started to come out. Remember oil floats on water. Today got engine and tranny pulled and engine down to short block. If anyone get bored and wants to help just let me know. 😀😀

Maybe hard to tell but that's mold growing on intake.

camperbc likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 07:07 PM

Garage
Doesn't look too bad actually.. but I would definitely do a refresh hone on the cylinders..new rings and bottom bearings for sure.. Better safe than sorry

Sucks to deal with that kind of issue but better to fix it than to have to scrap it. Looks like a very nice car. Good luck with the rebuild !!!

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdub View Post
Doesn't look too bad actually.. but I would definitely do a refresh hone on the cylinders..new rings and bottom bearings for sure.. Better safe than sorry

Sucks to deal with that kind of issue but better to fix it than to have to scrap it. Looks like a very nice car. Good luck with the rebuild !!!
Yes, a hone will do it. So I'm doing what I call a soft rebuild, rings and bearings. Something I noticed after posting earlier is two pistons are in 180 out. Look at #1 and #3 in picture. The valve relief is 180 off. This was a crate engine from a "big" time national builder. He paid $13,500 for this motor. I'm finding a few more issues for this being a built motor. Owner gave me permission to call builder, might be able to get some bebuild compensation, don't ever know if you don't ask. Picture was after I cleaned some to see what I was dealing with. Actually cleaned up pretty good.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rocker hitting valve cover.

Rocker interference with push rod.

The more I tear about the more issues I'm finding. This was not a "professional " built motor. Going to be a interesting phone call to builder tomorrow.
camperbc likes this.

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here is the video the builder took of the motor i am working on.

camperbc likes this.

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:35 AM

Garage
Were those parts put on/in the motor on a Friday or a Monday?
lesblank and lesblank like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 AM

Garage
Iím with Mrdub, seems to be a nice car. Shame this all happened to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's a quick update. The engine short block is now done. Tranny rebuilt and installed. Intake and rockers went on today. The owner is having to do this on a budget so things are slowly going back together. So far under 2k total. The good part it gives me a project to work on rainy days like today.

camperbc likes this.

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:45 PM

Garage
Looking good. Did you get anything from the builder? Looks to me like they made some serious mistakes and that should be covered under warranty in spite of the bath it took.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
Looking good. Did you get anything from the builder? Looks to me like they made some serious mistakes and that should be covered under warranty in spite of the bath it took.
Builder said the warranty was void due to water and that I opened it up. He stated it was running good when he did his test run. He was extremely defensive when I questioned the issues I found. Just kept saying all was good on test run. When asked about pistons being installed upside down he said nothing. Asked him twice and it was total silence. Asked about rockers hitting valve cover, he said the owner wanted those valve covers and there was plenty of clearance. When asked why then did he use two valve cover gaskets on each side, there was that silence again. The last moment of silence was when I asked him if he slept good at night putting out finished product like this. That's when he hung up. The good thing, Just a little more money and time this will turn out to be a great running big block torque monster.
camperbc and blackadder like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode