Riding gear - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Riding gear

My 85 year old father-in-law was admitted to a rehab facility due to Parkinson's and dimentia last night. My wife had stayed with him and wanted me to take her a change of clothes. The facility is about 50 miles away so thru her items need in a bag, stapped to bike and took off. Nice hot ride, 96 with 107 heat index. But this is not the reason for post. I'm walking down the hall with bag and helmet in hand and hear someone say, what kind of bike do you have. I look over and there's a guy in a wheel chair with one arm and one leg missing. So I tell him and a conversation started. Find out he had a Hayabusa and in a bad wreck. As we are taking he asked if I always wear gear. I had my helmet, mesh jacket with armor, kelvar jeans and boots. I told him yes except the jeans and that I have mesh pants with armor I use during week over my work slacks. He started to tell me about his wreck. He was doing over 120+ with helmet, shorts, T-shirt and sandals. A car going about 60 came into his lane and ran him into the concrete barrier. He ended up between the bike and the wall with the car pushing and pinning him. The wall ate him up so bad he lost his arm and leg. He looked at me with tears in his eyes and said that if he had the gear on that I used that he would still be whole. I've known people who had taken spills before but never like this. Didn't realize my father-in-law's room was the next room down and my wife had heard the whole story. So when I get in the room with her she gives me a big hug and said she will never guestion the cost of my gear again. I know everyone has a choice and I choose to gear up, Hope y'all do. When I post on new members threads to ride safe, I really mean it. The next few days might not be on site much as family responsiblies are going to take a lot of my time.
bevo1981, Keith Post, Elk and 4 others like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 06-03-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:37 PM
KCW

Garage
wow! I understand the guy was very emotional after this happened to him, and he is probably still being medicated and sedated.

The way you described the accident, with him being pinned to the wall at 60mph or more, I don't think anything would have saved his arm and leg.

Riding gear is excellent if you end up sliding down the asphalt at highway speeds, but it wont save you if you hit something, or are pancaked between a vehicle and something else. Everything has its limits.

The most important thing is to avoid accidents at all costs - riders wearing full gear die in accidents every year.

I had my Ford Fusion up to 100 mph on the thruway last summer for about 2 miles - the highway was empty and I wanted to see how quickly it would break 100. After I took my foot off the gas it took nearly a mile for the Fusion to coast back down to 70mph. I would never ride my bike that fast, not on the roads... maybe on a track after about 10 warm up laps.

I certainly would not disagree with the guy, its human nature to try and go back and figure out what you could have done differently to prevent the terrible thing that happened to you, but at 120mph we are like a 200 lb water balloon.

Im temped to say he is lucky to be alive, but that does not sound right. What a terrible thing for anyone to go through.
Keith Post and Bman950 like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:40 PM
KCW

Garage
Les, also want to say that is sad news about your father. Lost my mom to dementia 10 years ago. Its difficult for the person with the disease, and its difficult for everyone involved.
Keith Post and lesblank like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Les, also want to say that is sad news about your father. Lost my mom to dementia 10 years ago. Its difficult for the person with the disease, and its difficult for everyone involved.
Thanks, we knew this time would come. He's been at home up till now. It's getting too much for us to handle and we are having to make difficult decisions. You are right, the guy is lucky to be alive. He said most of his injuries were due to wall acting like sand paper to his body, not only skin but bone. That's why he lost the arm and leg, not enough there to fix.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:02 PM
KCW

Garage
Les, don't want to spin off into a conversation about your dads illness. Im sure you have excellent doctors and people advising you.

The most important things I learned (quickly) were, first: don't ask your dad questions. Don't ask him any questions. Its perfectly natural to want to ask how are you feeling? did you eat lunch yet? Remember that time we went on that trip?.... But its very frustrating for the person with memory loss, it makes them very upset and sometimes angry when they cant remember, and when they cant remember important things it makes you upset and depressed too. At first its hard to spend time with anyone without asking questions, it takes a while to get use to just spending time together, and enjoying whatever you are doing in the moment.

The other thing I would suggest is that for some people, music makes a real connection a level that remains, when other things have been lost.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

thanks for sharing. we'll be thinking of you and your family.
Keith Post and Elk like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:08 AM

Garage
Here in Quebec on a french speaking motorcycle forum, when somebody wants to buy a bike, just about everybody tells them to not buy a cruiser under 1300 cc or a sport/touring bike with less than 600 cc. They say that if you buy something smaller, you end up buying something larger after a few months. I can't see the reasoning behind this except that almost everybody rides over the speed limit. Sure, I can see where 2 large people, lots of baggage and a trailer would need a strong motor but is it really necessary to have 1500 cc or more so that you can go faster than 110 mph? Most of the accidents I see on U Tube are high speed accidents or guys doing wheelies.
Elk likes this.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 06:56 AM

Garage
Thank you for sharing this with us les. We’ll all have you and your family in our thoughts. Such a sad story about the biker, I hope he heals well physically, emotionally it’ll take quite a while. Please keep us updated on your Father in law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:28 PM

Les,
I pray your family will have the strength to handle your situation and the peace to make it through. God bless you all. Thanks for sharing the story also, and I hope it will help someone make a good decision to ride safe in all aspects.
Keith Post likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:40 PM

Garage
Les ....
From what the guy told you about his accident. Going 120 and then being pinned between a car & the jersey barrier. He is lucky to be alive! Very lucky!

Lots of positive energy & good ju-ju sent to you and yours to deal with the situation as best as you all can.
Keith Post likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!

Last edited by Scrumdown; 06-05-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode