First Concert. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

First Concert.

Mine was 1974 Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Queen opened up for Mott The Hoople (All the young dudes). I believe it was Queens first U.S. show. What was yours?
Diogenes415 and Scrumdown like this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:20 AM
KCW

Garage
The first concert I coughed up money and went to because I wanted to, was to see John Denver in 1979 with my future wife. It was about the peak of his popularity and they put on an excellent show.

But the first concert I went to, I took my little brother to see Kiss in 1975, because he wanted to go and was too young to just drop him off at the door.

Have to mention: I was 12 in 1969 and a boy scout. We were camping in the summer of '69 and we were aware there was some big concert being held 'somewhere' in NY. We were out on a hike and we heard loud rock music in the distance, and thought "Hey maybe its that Woodstock thing....!"

No.. we were about 300 miles away - we never found out where the music was coming from - but that was as close as I got to going to Woodstock. We were aware of it, but really had no idea what it was all about till we saw the movie several years later. If you really want to go back, I did see the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show live, thanks to my older sister who HAD TO watch it. I was 7.

Last edited by KCW; 07-20-2018 at 06:26 AM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:37 AM

1979, Parliament-Funkadelic at the Cape Cod Civic Center to promote the Motor Booty Affair album.
Scrumdown and Yamaha Pat like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:58 PM

Garage
First concert was some event to raise food for some starving people in Africa being held at the UN. Cost of entry canned goods. So me and several of the Scout troop members I was friends with hopped on a train into The City, Grand Central specifcally. And walked over to the UN. Gave them the food and saw ... Randy Newman, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, and a couple others. That was late 1985 & I was 12. Now, the first arena concert was Jethro Tull at the Brenden Burn Arena in the Meadowlands in 1989; Had just turned 16. Had my license and the crew made me drive as I was the youngest. One of the crew was given an 82 Mercury Colony Park. We fit 12 in that wagon. What an awesome memory! Hadn't thought of that one in ages.

Best concert ... HANDS DOWN! Pink Floyd, June 4, 1994 Veterns Stadium in Philadelphia.
KCW and Diogenes415 like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Garage
Never been to one, and don't plan on going to one either. On the other hand, I would jump at the chance to see Ron White or Rodney Carrington live.

I don't have to have fast, I just have to have fun!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblitz09 View Post
Never been to one, and don't plan on going to one either...
Granted music concerts aren't for everyone but if you like a musical artist then there's no better way to experience what they have to offer than at their concert. After seeing Primus several years ago I vowed to never again go to a concert, not because of the artist but because of a 'crowds in a confined space' issue. But a few weeks ago I just had to go to Electric Forest (I feel a kinship with Wally, the man who hosted the fest) to see Bassnectar (yes, he's a DJ and although I'm an old school musician, I can appreciate what the good DJs can do... sampling/looping and electronic music has been around since the 60s, at least)... I felt so out of place but man was that an awesome experience!! It reminded me, in a way, of what Burning Man used to be back in the 90s before the initial driving spirit of it was lost.
Scrumdown likes this.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 07-20-2018 at 03:39 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 04:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
After seeing Primus several years ago I vowed to never again go to a concert, not because of the artist but because of a 'crowds in a confined space' issue.
I stopped going to Jimmy Buffett concerts because the crowd has changed AND not for the better.
Diogenes415 likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 04:16 PM

Garage
Three Dog Night in 1973 in Houston.
Diogenes415 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 05:18 PM

Garage
The first concert I ever went to was Stompin' Tom Connors (a Canadian icon). I think I was maybe 10 and my father took me. As he played he stomped on a piece of plywood and I still remember him knocking the sawdust off it a few times during the concert.

In 89' I went to Toronto to see the Stones on their Steel Wheels tour, then the next night caught Tom Petty on his Full Moon Fever Tour. That was what you had to do back then to see one of the big groups play. Since then the Stones, Skynyrd, AC/DC, Frampton, Boo Hoo (U2) and a lot of other huge bands have played right here in Moncton. But I think my favorite was Stevie Ray Vaughn, just a year before he died.

I'm a huge Bob Seger fan but he never played around here back in his heyday in the late 70s and I was too young to go out of town back then. He did come to a nearby city a couple of years ago but ticket prices are just stupid these days (over $100) plus hotel, etc, and he can't hit those notes anymore so we didn't bother.

Mellencamp is playing here in September and my wife wants to go. Tickets are (only!) $60 so we might go to that.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:07 PM
KCW

Garage
one of the things I really miss - when I was a young teenager in the 70s, there were neighborhood bands, and they played everywhere:
Dances, graduation parties, proms, free concerts in the park, talent shows and battle of the bands concerts...

From the time I was about 10 till I was 20, it was a big part of my life, later going to bars to see local bands playing cover music.

Now you dont see that so much. There are beatles tribute bands and some bars and restaurants have live music, but its mostly older guys, in their 50s and 60s on stage. I have not seen a band at a wedding or a party in....geeze like 40 years!

Are there no teenagers left that can play a guitar?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode