• 3 Post By GreenMtnHunter
  • 3 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Say whut?

I have arthritis in my right knee and I visited a doctor's office earlier this week to inquire about hyaluronic acid injections.

The PA asked several questions. I am a touch hard of hearing and she spoke quickly.

At one point, I was convinced she asked me if I had 'morning sickness'. Turns out she said 'morning stiffness'. She wondered what the hell I was laughing at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:43 PM

"Whut". There ,I said it.

Packer Jim
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:50 PM

Garage
Yup, I tell my students, " I know that what I heard is not what you said, so pardon my laugh; this might take a minute...."

I'm about half-deaf...50% of what I "hear' is outrageous and incredibly funny - the other 50% makes no sense, which means I must have correctly heard you...

My wife keeps telling me to get an appointment for hearing aids.
Are you kidding? For what they charge, I could buy another fine gun...which is probably how I end up so deaf...but it could also be the headphones our parents made us wear in the 70's

Whut?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	84812  

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtnHunter View Post
Yup, I tell my students, " I know that what I heard is not what you said, so pardon my laugh; this might take a minute...."

I'm about half-deaf...50% of what I "hear' is outrageous and incredibly funny - the other 50% makes no sense, which means I must have correctly heard you...

My wife keeps telling me to get an appointment for hearing aids.
Are you kidding? For what they charge, I could buy another fine gun...which is probably how I end up so deaf...but it could also be the headphones our parents made us wear in the 70's

Whut?
Can never underestimate the value of a fine gun! Might not be able to hear you but i can sure shoot ya.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:32 AM
KCW

Garage
if you find yourself saying What? several times a day

or you cant be sure what someone said, and you let it go, then its time to see an audiologist

I lost most ( 60dB) of my hearing in my left ear when I was 30. It was caused by a viral ear injection, nothing can be done to repair it. At the time the ENT Dr told me I could get a hearing aid but it would not help much. Since my right ear was still normal it wasnt too much of an issue, unless someone was sitting to my left and whispering sweet nothings...

Two years ago i realized at 60 my right ear was losing its high frequency response. I have an equalizer with 16 bands for my stereo, and I could adjust it to compensate for the loss in both ears while wearing headphones. It made music sound right again, and balanced in both ears. I wanted to be able to hear like that all the time.. so I got my hearing tested.

Hearing aid technology has improved incredibly in the last 30 years. Not only can I hear normally in my right ear now, my 60 dB loss in my left ear is greatly compensated for.

Now I can tell which direction sounds are coming from. I can hear birds, my keys clinking, water running in the sink.. but most importantly I can hear the high frequency components of speech, like K, T, S chic, P sounds - when you cant hear them many different words sound the same.

The thing that really inspired me to get them is my young grandson has a very high pitch voice, I had difficulty understanding almost everything he said.

Not a problem anymore.

The hearing aids I got were $4k for the set. Blue cross insurance paid half that - guaranteed for 3 years, and no cost for seeing the audiologist if there is an issue.

Should have done this about 10 years sooner.

PS 0ne great benefit - they are adjustable +/- 12 dB

So I cant turn them up all the way and hear things other people cannot hear

and in a noisy place... its like having a MUTE button for the world - not completely off, but very nice and quiet.

the other benefit: A can listen to TV over bluetooth, with the TV speakers off, and I can talk on the phone the same way, the sound is right in my ear - hands free.

Last edited by KCW; 07-18-2019 at 11:37 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:58 PM

Garage
"Blue cross insurance paid half that -"

We had BC/BS, then our CFO decided we needed to join the "affordable" health care act and dumped our insurance for a bogus "health equity" company that is supposed to service "New England", but anything that happens outside of our immediate area will not be covered, even an ER visit...try doing that with kids in college... You know the deal is bad when the CFO (and anyone else who can) is on his/her spouses actual Health Care from another employer.... They charge us about 10g's in premiums every year to manage whatever we can afford to stuff away for our 10g deductible...I have heard that once you get past that 10 grand, things get covered....80%...something like that.
I could have NOT bought my motorcycles...then I'd be able to hear yours roar past my house ;-)

I play Powerball once in a while....

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:25 AM
KCW

Garage
^ thats rough

an excellent health care plan is an excellent incentive when recruiting new employees

and a crappy health care plan is an excellent incentive to look for a new job

the company I work for is small, but they are paying about $15k a year for my health insurance, and I only have to pay in about $100 a month for employee & spouse

Edit: I should add, 2 years ago I had pneumonia, really sick for a few days before I went to the doctors office - was within hours of dying (my pulse was racing).

Only had to spend a day and night in the hospital - they literally saved my life. With no insurance the bill would have been $15,000.

Sometimes having insurance is a matter of life and death.
lesblank and blackadder like this.

Last edited by KCW; 07-19-2019 at 08:36 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 PM
KCW

Garage
today I took a short ride on my MC, and I was expecting an important phone call,

so I left my glasses home so I could wear my hearing aids, and hear my phone if it rang thru the blew2th

holy crap my stock 650 is LOUD WHEN I CAN HEAR IT CORRECTLY!
GreenMtnHunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode