RE: Walmart shooting - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

RE: Walmart shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Earlier this morning, about 630am, a disgruntled employee with Walmart walked in to the one in Southaven, Ms. He opened fire killing two employees, Southaven police responded as well as my old department, the Desoto County Sheriff’s department.
Suspect was shot and airlifted to the Med in Memphis, Southaven Officer was also shot, but the round hit him in his vest. Officer has been released from the hospital.
Prayers for all of my former colleagues, families of those killed and the community. I’ve been in that store thousands of times and did security over the holidays there. Such a tragic event!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't feel that "Chaplain's Corner" was the place to write my reply to Keith's post about the Mississippi Walmart shooting, so I am sticking it here. And I am honestly hoping that my reply does not start any infighting, as this is most certainly not my intention. But I think that we can all agree that this latest shooting is tragic, and unfortunately a sign of the times. I was just reading that the USA averages about one mass shooting per day. (355 mass shootings/year) My God. Sure, I get that it's part of your Constitution and all, and that many of my fellow forum members are gun owners, but Holy Cow, I'm not sure how it is that so many people just don't seem to see the connection between the number of gun owners and the number of gun crimes. I also just learned that a person is 6 times more likely to be killed from gun violence in the USA than in Canada. (now, before someone says that it's because the USA has 10x the population of Canada, let me say that these figures are per capita... the number of gun homicides per million people) This should speak volumes. Jeez, if you were twice as likely to be shot and killed in the USA than in Canada... well, that would be quite alarming for sure. But six times?!?

And to hopefully clarify, I have nothing against owning guns... I have owned them for most of my adult life. In fact, every person I know here in this province of Newfoundland is a gun owner. So, it definitely begs the question... why is it so much more dangerous/deadly in the States than it is here in Canada? I really don't consider Canadians and Americans to be much different from each other. Almost everyone owns guns in both of our countries. The only real difference I am seeing is that we don't carry ours around with us, unless we are out hunting, or shooting at targets. Whatever is going on with all of this dreadful gun violence these days, I sincerely hope that something changes very soon. There are far too many people getting needlessly killed.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

(this chart is several years old, but you get the idea)
YammyV, lesblank and KCW like this.

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA

Last edited by camperbc; 07-30-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:01 PM
KCW

Garage
this chart puts it in a different perspective

the only countries worse than the USA are poverty crime ridden 3rd world nations

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	84902  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:24 PM

Garage
I am a second amendment guy. With that said there is a problem in the US with effectively dealing with people with mental health issues. In my city there was a big state run mental hospital that was full years ago...today most of the space has been converted to other state offices. My question is where did these people go? Out in public? Shameful... An instance happened in the school my wife works at where a girl with known anger issues smashed a 6th grades boy's face into his desk as he sat there waiting on class to start. The Administrator responsible for this child being placed as an inclusion student in this class stated they wanted the girl to have the 6th grade experience....WHAT??? How about the boy who was just sitting there minding his own business? Is this his 6th grade experience? We have got our priorities all wrong. I also feel that social media has played a part in making empathy less present in peoples lives. I feel we need to really get a grip on how things like bullying, drug usage by the parents and the kids, mental health issue identification and treatment, food additives and electronic shoot em up games and social media affect our young people. They are our future and we need to address this issue quickly. Taking guns away is in my opinion just a band aid...There are people who are currently in jail that live by the motto where there is a will...there is a way. What I mean by that is people in prisons die everyday at the hands of their fellow inmates in a drug free..weapon free environment. It is not my desire to spark a political battle but I honestly feel that the knee jerk reaction is most always wrong.

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:30 PM

Garage
Something else to consider is that we are a generation & a half into people taking pills to cure everything!
You have pink pills to make you happy or have less anxiety.
You have blue pills to keep a Male's southern friend standing at salute.
Just to mention a few. AND let not get started opium epidemic the USA is having.

I think here in America it's more a mental health issue with violence.

The other thing is there a problem with people's lack of respect for life.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!

Last edited by Scrumdown; 07-30-2019 at 01:32 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:00 PM

Garage
Guns don't kill people; the government does.

"I just wanna ride my guitar and play my bike!"

2000 V Star 650 Classic

Cobra Drag Pipes
BOSS MC425BA Speakers

Not all who wonder are lost.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMaz2112 View Post
Oh boy.

Glen

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMaz2112 View Post

SSSSHHHHH!

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
I didn't feel that "Chaplain's Corner" was the place to write my reply to Keith's post about the Mississippi Walmart shooting, so I am sticking it here. And I am honestly hoping that my reply does not start any infighting, as this is most certainly not my intention. But I think that we can all agree that this latest shooting is tragic, and unfortunately a sign of the times. I was just reading that the USA averages about one mass shooting per day. (355 mass shootings/year) My God. Sure, I get that it's part of your Constitution and all, and that many of my fellow forum members are gun owners, but Holy Cow, I'm not sure how it is that so many people just don't seem to see the connection between the number of gun owners and the number of gun crimes. I also just learned that a person is 6 times more likely to be killed from gun violence in the USA than in Canada. (now, before someone says that it's because the USA has 10x the population of Canada, let me say that these figures are per capita... the number of gun homicides per million people) This should speak volumes. Jeez, if you were twice as likely to be shot and killed in the USA than in Canada... well, that would be quite alarming for sure. But six times?!?

And to hopefully clarify, I have nothing against owning guns... I have owned them for most of my adult life. In fact, every person I know here in this province of Newfoundland is a gun owner. So, it definitely begs the question... why is it so much more dangerous/deadly in the States than it is here in Canada? I really don't consider Canadians and Americans to be much different from each other. Almost everyone owns guns in both of our countries. The only real difference I am seeing is that we don't carry ours around with us, unless we are out hunting, or shooting at targets. Whatever is going on with all of this dreadful gun violence these days, I sincerely hope that something changes very soon. There are far too many people getting needlessly killed.

Glen

(this chart is several years old, but you get the idea)
I believe in the second amendment right. The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. The last time i was at a shooting range was yesterday with my wife and daughter.

I thought about this hard and i believe that if more people believed in the philosophy of a "chaplain's corner". that would help. The answer is god. Morals in this world are lacking now. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. Lack of respect down the line.

I saw a Deputy Sheriff on the way home from up north today and thanked her for keeping us safe. She thanked me and that was not a response i had expected.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:01 PM

I believe a lot of it has to do with discipline at a young age. A lot of parents do not say no to their kids. Hell I got swats on my first day of kindergarten.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:16 PM
KCW

Garage
the two graphs make the problem clear

on both of them the USA is in the middle of nations in terms of gun deaths

do the people of this country want to be more like Australia, Germany, Sweden, Canada

or go the way of Honduras, Venezuela, El Salvador, Columbia....

because right now the tread is increasing towards the latter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode