Out of commission. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Out of commission.

From the "you never know where life's going to take you" files.

I've had a great first year on my bike (04 650 Classic). After the MSF Course and license in the spring, I've been riding several times during the week after work and almost every weekend. My last ride was 160 miles on 9/8 with about 60 interstate and the rest on two lanes around a state park and lake.

Things kind of changed on 9/11. I had a syncope episode at work. Went down hard, concussed with about 8 staples to the back of my head. I've never had anything like this before, had no symptoms or signs. I (pretty common issue) was diagnosed about 15 years ago with a Right Bundle Branch block (an electrical heart problem). I've not had any issues or problems until Wednesday 9/11.
You can have one branch blocked, but when the other one goes and the SA to AV node stutters, you've got problems. I was told the blow to my head probably restarted me. As a PSA, I recommend an annual EKG. You never know.

Paramedics, Hospital and Cardiac Doc's were great, I now am the proud owner of a Boston Scientific, L311 Pacemaker with a Latitude communicator. I'm not allowed to lift my left arm above my head for a few weeks ( to keep the wires from coming loose), and I can't lift anything over 10 pounds for a month. And no bike riding for a while.
My family is just glad I didn't syncope while riding or driving. That could have been bad.
By the way, I'm 56, 5'11 about 198-not overweight, no smoke, rarely drink, and walk a ton as I follow my college boys as they play golf.
I'm going to be fine, but no motorcycles for a while.

Since I got a bike, I feel much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:24 PM

Garage
Thank god it wasn't worse but it is bad enough. I hope to have a full recovery and you know what the bike will wait for you to get better. Take care Deek
Keith Post, tbzg and JonMaz2112 like this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:38 PM

Garage
Thankfully you are able to post this. Hopefully you will have a fast and full recovery. Just because you are not riding right now does not mean you can't hang around and post.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzg View Post
From the "you never know where life's going to take you" files.

I've had a great first year on my bike (04 650 Classic). After the MSF Course and license in the spring, I've been riding several times during the week after work and almost every weekend. My last ride was 160 miles on 9/8 with about 60 interstate and the rest on two lanes around a state park and lake.

Things kind of changed on 9/11. I had a syncope episode at work. Went down hard, concussed with about 8 staples to the back of my head. I've never had anything like this before, had no symptoms or signs. I (pretty common issue) was diagnosed about 15 years ago with a Right Bundle Branch block (an electrical heart problem). I've not had any issues or problems until Wednesday 9/11.
You can have one branch blocked, but when the other one goes and the SA to AV node stutters, you've got problems. I was told the blow to my head probably restarted me. As a PSA, I recommend an annual EKG. You never know.

Paramedics, Hospital and Cardiac Doc's were great, I now am the proud owner of a Boston Scientific, L311 Pacemaker with a Latitude communicator. I'm not allowed to lift my left arm above my head for a few weeks ( to keep the wires from coming loose), and I can't lift anything over 10 pounds for a month. And no bike riding for a while.
My family is just glad I didn't syncope while riding or driving. That could have been bad.
By the way, I'm 56, 5'11 about 198-not overweight, no smoke, rarely drink, and walk a ton as I follow my college boys as they play golf.
I'm going to be fine, but no motorcycles for a while.
Holy crap...so sorry to hear this news. Glad you are on this side of the grass and hope you will be on 2 Wheels really soon. God bless.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:22 PM

Garage
This is both shitty & good news.
Good you're still alive.
Shitty you can't ride for a while.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:33 PM

Scary stuff! Very glad the prognosis is ultimately positive, and that after a period to heal and adjust you should be back in the saddle again (literally and figuratively). Here’s hoping your recovery is brief as possible and smooth as can be!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:26 PM
KCW

Garage
I use to get cluster migraine headaches that would leave me incapacitated for several hours, but nothing where I lost consciousness with no warning. Hasnt happened in over 12 years.

Im grateful to be living in this generation, because there have been a few things over the last 62 years that would have ended my life if I had been living in the previous 300,000 years of human existence.

I hate to play right into my stereotype... but... if you are not going to be riding your bike for a while have someone pick up a can of Seafoam from Walmart tomorrow and put about 4 ounces in your motorbike gas tank. It will keep the gas from breaking down if the bike sits for more than a month... up to a couple years. This is exactly the kind of situation where you ride the bike in the garage one day and are not aware you will not be riding it for months or longer.

If I remember right you are in Kentucky. If you are feeling depressed or just want someone to talk to or to hang out with, Im sure there are members of this forum in your area who would be happy to ride over and spend some time with you in person.

Last edited by KCW; 09-21-2019 at 08:29 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 05:20 AM

Garage
I join the others in wishing you a speedy recovery and healing. Glad also you weren’t out riding when this happened. Please keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 10:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzg View Post
I (pretty common issue) was diagnosed about 15 years ago with a Right Bundle Branch block (an electrical heart problem). I've not had any issues or problems until Wednesday 9/11.
You can have one branch blocked, but when the other one goes and the SA to AV node stutters, you've got problems. I was told the blow to my head probably restarted me.
Wow, excellent results considering how many things could have gone wrong especially that knock on the head and not to mention how many situations that could have been deadly. So happy to hear you will get fixed soon and riding is still on the table.

What are the chances of a repeat episode since the initial problem remains in place? Or is that incorrect? Is that what is getting fixed? I got lost in the medical terms.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 01:09 PM

Garage
Glad to hear you are doing well. When life throws you off brush yourself off, recover, and go back at it. Your steel horse isn't going anywhere and will be ready when you are ready. Until then, take the time to take care of yourself. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Keith Post and Scrumdown like this.

Current Bikes:
2018 Indian Chief Classic
2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse

Past Bikes:
2017 Indian Scout
2006 Yamaha Roadliner
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode