Video editing and computers - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Video editing and computers

I have a question about video editing software and what computer you video guru's use. The reason I'm asking is that my old laptop has met an unfortunate demise and my desktop is terminally ill.

So my first question is which software do you guys use to produce those great video's you post? And the second one is what are the specs of the computer you use this software on. I have a limited budget so I have to decide between laptop or desktop.

Help this budding oscar winner in his search

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 02:52 PM

Nowadays just about anything will get you by.

If you have Windows 7 or 8, Windows Moviemaker is a free download (part of Windows Essentials). I'm not sure about pre Win7.

If you're on a Mac, iMovie will usually do the trick but I recommend SmartConverter at a minimum to "preconvert" the video (iMovie has a lot of formats but always seems to be missing the one I need). I've always also had a copy of Toast Titanium which I use to archive and grab AVCHD video from my cameras and to burn DVD and BluRay player compatible discs.

I like free and spending no money on this stuff is a great way to jump in. That way you know what you need rather than just guess at it. The one thing I would say was a necessity for me once I got a foot hold in was a media drive to archive my music, photos, and video. The space disappears quick when you introduce video into the mix. You've got your archive, your working files, your editing files, and your finished product. A ten minute video can easily scatter 10 GB or more around your drive using raw video and highest resolutions. I've got almost 2 TERABYTES just converting VHS to digital and another 600 GB from raw miniDV files. AVCHD is much more forgiving but is still massive using the highest quality settings.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 02:05 AM

If you're tempted by 'free' programs be careful. I tried a 'free' version of Video Pad Video Editor and it hijacked my internet browser, changing all my preferences. This happened even after I'd checked all the boxes to say I didn't want any extra's installed. When I tried to change my preferences back, it just kept hijacking everything again, sending my searches through its chosen websites.
My son who's an IT fundi eventually got rid of all the malware for me, but not without quite an effort.

Cruza
2008 Star 950
Mustang rider seat (Vintage Wide)
Mustang pillion pad (Vintage Wide) with wide back rest
Mini Cobra sissy bar (square)
Custom brushed stainless sissy-bar brackets to move sissy bar further back and match Mustang pillion seat.
Cobra luggage rack
Previous:
2007 Star 650 Classic, Candy Apple Red
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2-2zeY-ueE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruza View Post
If you're tempted by 'free' programs be careful.
That's an even better reason to start with MovieMaker for Windows or iMovie for Mac. At least those to are made by the same companies that created their respective OSes.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got it for the software but what about the hardware? Some say to go with a desktop only as the laptop won't do a good job, others say it doesn't matter. Like I said my budget is limited and I can't afford both at the moment.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 04:39 PM

I have a 2007 Intel 2.4 MHz Core 2 Duo with Radeon 2600 Pro graphics. The $250 Intel i3 laptop at Walmart is more powerful.

Video like speed and bandwidth, with bandwidth being the first consideration. Any modern 64 bit system will do for basic editing like adding a title and splitting clips. Special effects are still possible, but will take longer to process. Back in the day it was not surprising to get only a few frames a DAY. Now you can process faster on the desktop than what a render farm use to do. If you can run Windows 7 or 8 just try MovieMaker and see how well it works for you. You might be surprised at how well it fits your needs. And, it's free from Microsoft. If you have a Mac, of course, change that to iMovie.

I have an i7 Toshiba laptop with discreet graphics at the house that my son bought to game with. It was $1000 over a year ago and it is very nice at editing video.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 08:13 PM

I've been using linux for years. Fast and easy to use operating system that uses less resources than the other two money giants, and no virus and malware worries, and lots of open source software. There are several great video programs available, so if you don't like one, try the next. Go check out ubuntu

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Go with desktop. U can get a lot more for ur money than with a laptop. U will probably want at least a terabyte hard drive. As was said, video files eat up space big time. An hour of my gopro camera feed is about 100 gigabits of space. Plus u can usually get more ram and a bigger processor on a desktop. I have a 3.2ghz amd processor and 8gb of ram and 3 terabytes of hard drive. U will probably want at least 4gb of ram since video editing takes up a lot of memory and a lot of programs will not even run unless u have at least 2gb free.

I use magix movie edit pro. Cost about $40 and has just about everything I can think of doing to my videos. But the instructions were useless and it took me a while to figure out how to use it. U can check out my videos to see of the things u can do with it. U can burn straight to dvd or upload directly to YouTube.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode