Heads Up, Unlimited EVERYTHING, $35, NO CONTRACT - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Heads Up, Unlimited EVERYTHING, $35, NO CONTRACT

I have NOT been in contract on a cell phone for years now. I dont understand why people do, UNLESS of course they have no debt OR simply think its worth the annual cost because its something they enjoy, thats is ok, we all have our thing.

For others, here you go, being I do not have contracts I can switch phone companies on a whim. After over 2 years of unlimited Straight Talk at $50 a month. I just Swtiched to an AT&T owned company.

Here is the deal, I just copied it from a post I made on Facebook to save time ...

Free Nokia Windows 8.1 Phone (with rebate), Unlimited Text, Talk, Internet Only $35 a month INCLUDING all taxes and fees (with autodraft)
NO contract, no shipping charges, no activation fees.
AT&T service through AT&T owned Cricket. http://www.cricketwireless.com

I havent been in contract with any phone company for almost 3 years now, cant understand why people do.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:37 AM

Dude I agree with the point of hating being chained to a contract and the high price. Problem I have is where I live unless you have Verizon service you phone may as well be a paperweight.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

you usually get what you pay for. companies like those piggyback on the service of other carriers. in this case, probably AT&T. you may not be getting nationwide coverage, or spotty coverage anywhere outside a metropolitan area. you may be getting slow speeds, dropped calls, no customer service should you need it, usually paying the high retail price of a phone, etc. in this case, i'm guessing that nokia phone is your only option unless you want to pay a few hundred dollars out of pocket for something better. if it works for you, great. but these are the reasons most of us are on phone contracts.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
you usually get what you pay for. companies like those piggyback on the service of other carriers. in this case, probably AT&T. you may not be getting nationwide coverage, or spotty coverage anywhere outside a metropolitan area. you may be getting slow speeds, dropped calls, no customer service should you need it, usually paying the high retail price of a phone, etc. in this case, i'm guessing that nokia phone is your only option unless you want to pay a few hundred dollars out of pocket for something better. if it works for you, great. but these are the reasons most of us are on phone contracts.
Your incorrect and why I posted, most people are under contracts because they do not know any better or want a GROSSLY overpriced phone to be paid back over a 2 year contract, too many people are under the impression based on heresy and non factual comments that your comments and other impressions above are true, they are not .

My original post above IS FOR ATT service, ATT owns Cricket. The only reason people get contract service is simply misinformation as well as not educating themselves as to what they are buying.

Cell Phone Contracts are SUPER HIGH MARK UP items for the cell companies, its really that simple, NO benefit to the buyer except that you are stuck with the same provider no matter how much they screw you.

NON contract users, get better service, why? Its REALLY simple, if your unhappy, you can switch companies on a whim, no contract, means you can switch every 30 days if you wanted, CAN YOU DO THAT WITH A CONTRACT COMPANY?

Many of the phones an uninformed consumer gets with a contract, are WAY overpriced, super high markup devices and help the makers of those phones come up with profits of Billions of dollars, kind of funny, think about it, people think Harleys are expensive, sounds like your cell phone is way overpriced, my Windows 8.1 phone is way better and ATT/Cricket gave it to me for free, with free activation, free shipping, $35 unlimited everything, NO ADDED ON TAXES, SERVICE FEES, FCC LINE CHARGES, ECT, ECT, ECT ,.,, $35.00 A MONTH AND IF I DIDNT LIKE IT, I CAN GO TO ANY OTHER COMPANY NEXT MONTH, CAN YOU DO THAT WITH A CONTRACT? NOPE

As far as the comment on the phone, it sounds like you didnt even go to the site. Nokia as the only option? Look at the site, but, what if it was? That would be like saying "Iphone the only option" would that be a bad thing? Nokia is way better and more fun then iphones, again, people need to research instead of listen to marketing.

Most people do not know, Microsoft OWNS Nokia phones division and may even be simply named Windows phone in the future. Way better then iphone, I know, I USE BOTH every day, for me the iphone is a stoggy blah phone that does its job, that is it.
I have a company supplied IPHONE and My own personal Nokia smart phone, the Nokia is way smarter, I can even talk to it and it understands what I say over the iphone.
Hmmm ... cost people $600 bucks for a iphone .. ha ... tell me what company is ripping you off. Apple or Microsoft, answer, Apple

All this is ok, if someone wants to pay a monthly fee of 100 to 200% higher then I pay for the same and better service, with a great phone.
Its a personal choice. If they are happy doing that and being locked in a contract that is great but there are many who rather pay $35 a month with NO fees or taxes and get a free great phone that they will enjoy more then an iphone OR they can even pay a bit more if they want something more expensive, just like any cell phone company.

This post is intended for the people who rather not be locked into a contract and get a way better rate and this reply to your post is to correct the misinformation for those people.

BTW, as time goes on and by the end of this decade, contract phones will not exist and/or be in the minority. The public is catching on QUICKLY, Walmart and TMobile helped move this into the spotlight. Cell contract customers are falling by the hundreds of thousands every quarter of the year.
ALL a contract phone plan is, is a two year loan agreement, so they can sell you a GROSSLY marked up phone, nothing more.

Next, mark my words on this, will come TV, people think they have to pay to watch TV when its free and if they wish can pay $25 a month right now for everything. I know, been doing it for years and the cable/sat companies are feeling it. Ill explain someday. BTW, all these savings, pays for my new RK. Hmmm ... which would I rather have, contract phone and cable/Sat TV or a new Road King ... *LOL*
The answer is simple when I can have them all but at hundreds less a month for the TV and Phone.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Last edited by alarmguy; 11-07-2014 at 07:36 AM.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 07:26 AM

I think its safe to say there is probably some truth in both of your posts.
Bevo as far as the customer service comment, I think Verizon wrote the book on horrible service. Just about every time I walk into a Verizon store I leave mad or disgusted and see other customers the same way. I hate to go in there. Last time I literally had to walk a few laps around the store so I could calm down and keep from decking the sales person I was dealing with. But yet a mobile phone store is the busiest retail business one can enter these days. Go figure!
Alarmguy, while some people do pay rediculious prices for phones I have never paid over $100 for one and the only reason I paid that was because I wanted that particular phone. They always have phone free or right at free with a contract. Some folks pay those astronomical prices for phones because they want to say they did. Why else would someone stand in line for days to purchase a newly released phone?

All that being said you made a good and valid point. One I have been considering for several months now. When my current contract is up next summer I do plan on shopping elsewhere and see what's available. No where else would I spend that much money on a toy/luxury that we, as a society, have convinced ourselves we cannot live without.
But that doesn't mean other people have to see it the same way and I'm not knocking anyone that doesn't.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Floorboard extensions
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
Alarmguy, while some people do pay rediculious prices for phones I have never paid over $100 for one and the only reason I paid that was because I wanted that particular phone. They always have phone free or right at free with a contract. Some folks pay those astronomical prices for phones because they want to say they did. Why else would someone stand in line for days to purchase a newly released phone?

All that being said you made a good and valid point. One I have been considering for several months now. When my current contract is up next summer I do plan on shopping elsewhere and see what's available. No where else would I spend that much money on a toy/luxury that we, as a society, have convinced ourselves we cannot live without.
But that doesn't mean other people have to see it the same way and I'm not knocking anyone that doesn't.
If you could provide information as the the $100.00 phone you got and at what rate I could explain further for others. But i can guess the $100 phone you have, cost about $700 in added cost over the 24 month contract where you had to pay much higher monthly rates vs not having a contract.

What I am saying is, you did pay hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars for that phone, you signed a contract with the cell phone company to purchase a phone and service from them for 24 months at a GROSSLY inflated monthly cell phone rate and if you broke that contract you would be legally bound to pay.

The other option would have been to simply buy your own phone without a 2 year contract/2 year year loan and then buy the monthly service from any cell phone company without a contract.

BTW I am not knocking anyone who chooses a contract phone, many people can not afford to do it any other way, more so in the past, when without a contract you had to pay a large upfront cost for the phone.
I know MANY people who had to settle for contracts and just could not do it any other way.

No longer are these smart phone expensive if one shops around and almost any one should be able to afford to purchase the phone upfront and if they can, will not get ripped off to the tune of hundreds and hundreds of dollars a year and please, dont let me get started on the phone insurance rip off. Many of these people pay extra for insurance to insurance the grossly overpriced phone they bought, only to find out, once they need the insurance, they have to pay a $100 to $150 deductable to replace the phone! GOOD GOD! *L*

Dont take any of my posts as mean or nasty. I really to just try to help people, Im in some of the richest homes in the state, down to the poorest, I try to help people, I hate to see people who are barely making ends meet, get ripped off.

One last thing Summer, where you say "spend that much money on a toy/luxury" I got to tell you, I got one hell of a NICE Windows 8.1 free phone that I MUCH prefer to my company supplied IPHONE. SO to me, I do own that Luxury phone and I got it for free. If you really want to get crazy, you can spend another $100 and really get the top of the line Windows Phone *LOL*

BTW, I also work with Verizon and AT&T cell/alarm system radio units on a daily basis in the security systems we install and service.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Last edited by alarmguy; 11-07-2014 at 08:08 AM.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Banned

I'm not seeing any better deal than I have with ATT.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
I'm not seeing any better deal than I have with ATT.
How much is your monthly total bill?
By your post you are saying you are paying $35 to $40 a month to ATT for unlimited everything and that is great. Most people arent.
I pay a total of $35 a month to ATT like you and "not seeing a better deal" is because it is ATT. That $35.00 includes ALL taxes and fees.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Last edited by alarmguy; 11-07-2014 at 08:13 AM.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:22 AM

Playing the devil's advocate .. any contracts for those security systems??

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:40 AM

Alarmguy, you are beginning to sound like a ad for cricket wireless. You keep using the term "unlimited everything". Well where did you find that. According to what I read on the cricket website, if you have the $35 plan what you have is far from unlimited everything in my opinion. You get no international texting and a mere 1GB of data. Their most exp. plan at $55 a month only gives you 10GB of data. That's still not "unlimited". So either you are mistaken as to what you actually purchased or they screwed you just like they have everyone else according to your examples.
Yes cell phone plans are overpriced as you say. But I will have to disagree with you in the fact that if I am buying into a contract for X amount for 24 months, if I take their deal for lets just say $49 on a phone verses $350 for the full retail price of the same phone to use on the same contract, how did I get screwed on the price of the phone?
Yes you make some valid and true points but based on what I have read this morning I don't believe all are as true as you are trying to portray them.
Everyone has their own opinion and that what makes the world go round. Have a great day.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Floorboard extensions
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode