I just don't get it? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By jbasile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I just don't get it?

Saturday was a fine day for riding. I could hear bikes all morning long on rt66. After yard work I had to go a riding my self. Went up rt66 in too town and the local Bar had about 30/60?? HD's all around at 2:00pm. I find it hard to under stand beer drinkers or is it HD rider? Who would wont to set around and drink with the sun shinning so bright.??

PS. I don't drink beer but if you come to my house you can choose between 4 different beers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 03:28 PM

Garage
in ct most HD riders are weekend warriors during the week i see mostly metrics and sport bikes. i ride my 650 when ever the weather permits as long as it isn't pouring or snowing i'm out there riding but i do lay it up from the middle of jan to the middle of march for winter upkeep and such. when i go to events i rarely see high numbers on harley odometers but i'v seen more than few metrics that have clocked over.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 02-28-2016 at 03:31 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 03:55 PM

Why do you care ? Just ride. Enjoy.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 04:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbasile View Post
i care because i'd like to see what milage can be attained before i go buying a motorcycle. would you buy a bike that can't seem to break 50,000 without doing major work to it. id like to get a harley but i know i couldn't afford the upkeep. i don't look at milage to see how much the rider rides the bike, i do it to see how good the engines are, and when i see high milage i sometimes ask if they got that milage without doing major work to it. it's best way to find the better built bikes. how many miles you got on that orange ride there?

Last edited by pauli466; 02-28-2016 at 04:22 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 05:14 PM

Only 30, xxx K on my Ultra. No issues so far. A lot of folks conveniently refer back to the AMF era when in harley-bash mode. Those days are gone. They build a much better bike today.

2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:02 PM

Garage
i agree my brother in law rides his ultra glide from ct to sturgis every year for the last 4 years with no problems. he installed a see through cover so he can keep an eye on the cam chain tensioner. he might change it to the gear to gear set up on the next belt change. he puts serious miles on it with no problems so far. He's nearing 40,000 but his maintenance costs are steep. the belt change was like 1000$ and the next one might need pulleys jacking the cost to 2500$ the maintenance cost is what keep me getting one, as he's still working and i'm retired the cost would break me. but i'm looking at 950 touring models now, the one thing on a 950 i don't like is low ground clearance.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:05 PM

See thru cover for the cam chain tensioner. Great idea. Thats the one thing on those bikes. They (cam chains)tend to get tight so they say. I was told to inspect it at 50K. I thought the belt interval was 60k and yes, thats not looking like a fun job at all. I'll probably attack it at around 40K just for good measure. Was much easier on the Vics with their right side drive. The HD really isnt a bad bike at all. Not real fast of course, but very comfy, nice ergos, fit and finish, handling ....... surprisingly nimble for what it is. Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do on your next motorcycle. I love all motorcycles !!

2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbasile View Post
Agreed. Enjoy

Harleys will last forever just like any bike if you take care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode