V-Star 1100 Jets/carbs/intake - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

V-Star 1100 Jets/carbs/intake

So there is a lot of info out there on the web but I'm missing some info about the actual parts I'm looking for. So, Ive removed the stock pipes, installed the Cobra Slash-Down Hot Rod Speedster Exhaust pipes. So this winter I also bought and intend to install a new air intake, Baron Big Air Kit...so naturally its time to re-jet the carbs...lets go! But wait there's a problem I need help with...So with the exhaust I need to re-jet, with the air intake installation I need to re jet...What jets do I actually install? So each modification calls for a different jet install, and they're quite different.

Baron kit recommended for the B.A.K. comes with:
- 4 main jets 107.5,110, 112.5, 115
- 2 pilot jets 22.5
- 2 needles and clips and cap screws

Cobra suggests this kit:
- 6 main jets 2 each: 165, 170, 175
- no pilot jets
- 2 washers & needles
- some e clips and drill bit and screw

Very different understandably. I know I don't want to buy the kits, so do I do this: replace Main jets individually, "165, 170, 175" as stated from Cobra (which size to try for front and which for rear?). Then replace pilot jets 22.5. And do the needles to to be replaced, adjusted or left alone? Need washers or?

Is this a good plan, or is there a better way to attack this. I'm pretty good with my mechanic skillz and tools, this modification doesn't intimidate me except for the lack of knowing which parts are needed to get this right. I have watched a few videos and read a lot of posts, called a few shops but haven't found what I am looking for. I have removed the Mikuni carbs from the bike, got 'em on my bench. Haven't started opening 'em up cuz was wanting parts to complete this first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:09 PM

Garage
I've always used the Vstar Wiki recommendations with only having to tweek on the PMS sometimes.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting

Here's a screenshot that about half way down the linked page.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:12 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/tuning read this.dont buy a kit.20 pilots 150 mains. keep the mikuni needles, you can get jets for $5.00 each.you have to read the whole tuning and jetting section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:38 PM

Garage
I don't know why anyone would go to all the trouble to do what you are doing. Do you not like the V-Star 1100? Why does it need to be "improved"? Why not just buy a bigger bike? Is a modified 1100 cc V-Star better than a 1300 cc V-Star? If your bike had a 2000 cc engine.....would you try to improve it? I just don't understand the reasoning behind all this. Lots of people buy cars and trucks but very few do any modifications to "improve" their performance unless it's for racing. I could see someone replacing broken parts with parts that would improve performance but not improving something that already works great. OK...from one comment, trying to ride at 70 mph in 5 th gear was not possible. Any bike with 250 cc engine can do that.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Very cool, I am gonna have to review these posts today and hopefully get rolling on this ASAP. I pulled the carbs last weekend thinking that was the hard part, but unfortunately its been trying to figure out which jets to install and all. Thanks for the help, Ill write again when Ive figure out a plan and update ya. Cheers!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabluz View Post
I don't know why anyone would go to all the trouble to do what you are doing. Do you not like the V-Star 1100? Why does it need to be "improved"? Why not just buy a bigger bike? Is a modified 1100 cc V-Star better than a 1300 cc V-Star? If your bike had a 2000 cc engine.....would you try to improve it? I just don't understand the reasoning behind all this. Lots of people buy cars and trucks but very few do any modifications to "improve" their performance unless it's for racing. I could see someone replacing broken parts with parts that would improve performance but not improving something that already works great. OK...from one comment, trying to ride at 70 mph in 5 th gear was not possible. Any bike with 250 cc engine can do that.
plenty of people change the exhaust and intakes on their cars for normal street use. Buying a bigger bike isn't always an option. We aren't all made of money. It costs quite a bit more to buy a bigger bike than to buy an exhaust and better air intake to go with it. Reason for buying the exhaust could be because they like the sound better. Or perhaps they want a few more HP out of the bike they already have. And why not if doing so makes what you already have that much more powerful?
Boots likes this.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Well the exhaust was the first modification...it was really quiet and when I was riding with others on bikes at times I couldn't hear myself...so could cars hear me if they couldn't see me? Then of course is to re-jet with a new exhaust. If im re-jetting with a new exhaust lets do an air intake modification and get some horse power out it as well. And why else...its fun. Im getting a good sounding bike, higher horse power, learning, and having fun. And to answer your question if I had a 2000cc bike would I do this? Of course!
CanadianMohawk likes this.

Last edited by disdoom; 04-23-2019 at 09:45 PM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

So Looking at the chart (attached w/ thumnail below) from https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting this is what I come up with but is still very unclear. I installed the B.A.K from Barron and they suggest 22.5 for pilot jets, but the chart says no change or 17.5-20.0, not sure how to read that for intake. So I assume POD is referring to exhaust...what is POD? So my Cobra Slash-Down Hot Rod Speedster Exhaust pipes are 2 to 2 not slip ons...so for main jets 150. Am I reading this right? Also do both carburators get the same main jet size, unlike stock? Anyone know?

The hardest part of this is figuring what parts. So my Cobra exhaust came with referral of an jet kit that I was wrong about and is no longer available so I'm not sure what jets they recommend. Ive the carbs on my bench apart and hoping to find jets tomorrow.
150 main jets 22.5 pilot jets add a washer/spacer/shim ...I think that is whats left my parts list to get. I understand this is trial and error of sorts, so here goes...hoping to find these jets tomorrow, and get the bike up. Between two jobs its hard to find time, but the road is calling with this nice weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (10).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	83974  

Last edited by disdoom; 04-24-2019 at 09:50 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:19 PM

Garage
Pod kits eliminate the intake box placing individual air filter (pod) onto each carb.

Your BAK still uses the stock air box with the air restrictions if it's this one.

You are only adding better breathing before the air box with the BAK. If it was me I would follow know working jetting recommendations that are recommended.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Sure but what about the re jetting that needs to be done from the exhaust that I out on...dont you have to due both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode