950 overdrive pulley mod - Page 3 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 07:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron58 View Post
On all V Star belt driven bikes, the front engine drive pulley is more out than the rear wheel drive pulley, that is why both drive and rear wheel pulleys are much wider than the belt to allow for this variance. This is a rough pic below. It may appear when the wheel is properly aligned that the belt is rubbing up against the outside of the rear pulley. But if the wheel is aligned right, it won't actually be touching.

Many other belt driven bikes don't have wide pulleys like the Star bikes so the belt has no choice but to sit in the middle.
i don't think the front pulley is like the pic, i think it has a lip just like the rear

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Steve View Post
Hey Pauli466 I wanted to let you know that I took another crack at the front pulley today. I made some shims out some metal tape I had on hand. Each on was a little less than 1/32" thick. (Guessing). Anyway, it took 2 shims and the rubbing is gone. I put the new larger pulley back on and was able to center the belt on the rear pulley just fine. Took her out for a spin and re-checked it. No rubbing and the belt is still running down the center of the rear pulley. Thanks for the help! Ride safe!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
check the pulley often for awhile to make sure there's no looseness or the shims could get shaved down by the pulley, the perfect shim would be a splined washer so it locks on the shaft just like the pulley and can't spin separately
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevd1967 View Post
Well ive done the same swap on my xv950 bolt , its like riding a different bike its miles and miles better , no fitting problems at all well worth hunting a pully out
are you just purchasing new pulleys or are you trading with someone?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 10:58 AM

Got this one 2nd hand off the stryker forum
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

lucky. i put up a couple posts over there but couldn't get any traders

on a steel horse I ride

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:47 PM

Garage
So I would like to know more info on this year makes models I own a 2011 v star 950 and Iím looking into this mod I do a lot of highway riding

Here is picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24E90B4C-983D-40AE-972D-036BDA848200_1559258385789.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	84258  

Last edited by bevo1981; 05-30-2019 at 10:04 PM.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

got this mod done a week ago. replaced my 30 tooth stock pulley with a 31 tooth stryker pulley. sadly, i had to take my bike to a shop (first time in 7 years) to do it because my pulley nut had seized and would not come off with conventional tools. i purchased a 30" breaker bar and was bending it well past the 100 ft/lbs of torque that should be used to tighten the nut. purchased a 150 ft/lb impact wrench that did nothing so i took that back. the shop had to use air tools to get it off. so to all of you that had no trouble with this, i hate you all.

i've only got a few days testing so far but might as well post my observations. my main concern before doing this was that i would lose some acceleration in the lower gears. up to 3rd gear i can't tell any difference between my stock pulley and the stryker pully. between 3rd and 4th gear, it does feel a little bit longer in each gear but i really can't tell any loss in acceleration and i am HEAVY on the throttle in the city. on the highway i'm changing into 5th gear when the needle hits 60mph. it does seem to accelerate a bit more smoothly in the high gear and i guess there is some decrease in vibration due to slightly lower RPMs, but it is slight.

i tested the accuracy of the speedo with a free GPS speedo app on my phone. at 45mph on the needle the app reads 41-42mph. at 75mph on the needle the app reads 70mph. i'm running a 180/70r16 rear tire versus the stock 170/70-16. most people claim about a 10% difference between noted speed on any recent production cruiser stock setup versus actual speed given by either radars or GPS apps. i've been running a 180 tire pretty much the entire time i've had my bike and i've always noticed about half of that difference when passing road-side speed guns. never did any actual testing like i did now, but based on this i can't say that the stryker 31 tooth pulley gives me any more noticeable accuracy in speedo readings versus the stock pulley. if it does, it's a small percentage.

overall, i'm glad i've got the 31 tooth stryker pully on here. not a big difference, but it somehow makes the engine feel a little bigger and gives the perception of a little more torque in the lower gears even if it is in my head. and any decrease in highway speed vibration is appreciated even if it is minimal.
lesblank likes this.

on a steel horse I ride

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:28 PM

Garage
Bevo, glad your bike is back up and running. Does seem like here lately your simple projects turns into challenges. Sounds like it's going to work out well for you. Now that you are back on the road join the monthly mileage challenge.
bevo1981 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
got this mod done a week ago. replaced my 30 tooth stock pulley with a 31 tooth stryker pulley. sadly, i had to take my bike to a shop (first time in 7 years) to do it because my pulley nut had seized and would not come off with conventional tools. i purchased a 30" breaker bar and was bending it well past the 100 ft/lbs of torque that should be used to tighten the nut. purchased a 150 ft/lb impact wrench that did nothing so i took that back. the shop had to use air tools to get it off. so to all of you that had no trouble with this, i hate you all.

i've only got a few days testing so far but might as well post my observations. my main concern before doing this was that i would lose some acceleration in the lower gears. up to 3rd gear i can't tell any difference between my stock pulley and the stryker pully. between 3rd and 4th gear, it does feel a little bit longer in each gear but i really can't tell any loss in acceleration and i am HEAVY on the throttle in the city. on the highway i'm changing into 5th gear when the needle hits 60mph. it does seem to accelerate a bit more smoothly in the high gear and i guess there is some decrease in vibration due to slightly lower RPMs, but it is slight.

i tested the accuracy of the speedo with a free GPS speedo app on my phone. at 45mph on the needle the app reads 41-42mph. at 75mph on the needle the app reads 70mph. i'm running a 180/70r16 rear tire versus the stock 170/70-16. most people claim about a 10% difference between noted speed on any recent production cruiser stock setup versus actual speed given by either radars or GPS apps. i've been running a 180 tire pretty much the entire time i've had my bike and i've always noticed about half of that difference when passing road-side speed guns. never did any actual testing like i did now, but based on this i can't say that the stryker 31 tooth pulley gives me any more noticeable accuracy in speedo readings versus the stock pulley. if it does, it's a small percentage.

overall, i'm glad i've got the 31 tooth stryker pully on here. not a big difference, but it somehow makes the engine feel a little bigger and gives the perception of a little more torque in the lower gears even if it is in my head. and any decrease in highway speed vibration is appreciated even if it is minimal.
Where did you get your Stryker pulley?
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE0MT View Post
Where did you get your Stryker pulley?
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oem...c/transmission

on a steel horse I ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode