950 overdrive pulley mod - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

950 overdrive pulley mod

So, I bought a 31 tooth pulley from a Stryker owner and installed it this weekend when I did the valve lash adjustment. Very glad I did. It still has plenty of torque in the low range and the taller gear has made the top end more enjoyable. Speedometer difference dropped from 5-7mph to 2-3mph. Running 55 in 4th now feels like 65 did in 5th. The difference isn't all that dramatic, but it's a big enough difference to put a big dumb grin on my face. On a side note, I took a corner in the rain a little too hot the other day because the bike sounded and felt like it was going slower. I kept it from going down, but it will take time to get used to the difference in the speed to sensation ratio.
It bolted right up. Belt fit perfectly and there was just enough clearance with the speedo sensor. Would love to go up one more tooth, but that would require a modification to the speedo sensor and possibly a different length belt. Ride safe!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer

Last edited by NC_Steve; 07-25-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 PM

I plan to do this as my next mod to my 1300 but very rare to get hold of in the uk , buying new maybe the only option
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

I got mine here on the forum. It was well worth it. I heard a strange creaking squeak from the belt this morning. I believe it's just adjusted to tight. The last time I set it per the manual it seemed tight and again this time. Will loosen it up some this evening.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 05:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Steve View Post
I got mine here on the forum. It was well worth it. I heard a strange creaking squeak from the belt this morning. I believe it's just adjusted to tight. The last time I set it per the manual it seemed tight and again this time. Will loosen it up some this evening.

loosen it quick before you smoke the transmission countershaft bearing, i hear there a bear to change on a 950

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I brought it straight home and parked it until I can get to it in the morning. I really don't understand it. The manual says to adjust it to 3-5mm on it tightest spot which equals one hash on the belt cover at 10lbs of pressure. I even bought the tension tool. However, every time I adjust it to those tolerances, it ends up being to tight and I wind up re-adjusting it.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 04:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Steve View Post
I brought it straight home and parked it until I can get to it in the morning. I really don't understand it. The manual says to adjust it to 3-5mm on it tightest spot which equals one hash on the belt cover at 10lbs of pressure. I even bought the tension tool. However, every time I adjust it to those tolerances, it ends up being to tight and I wind up re-adjusting it.

a lot 950 tourers had pulleys that are misaligned from the factory more than a few smoked the countershaft bearing because of it, running the belt looser than the factory spec will save the bearing, it's the side thrust from misaligned pulleys the causes bearing failure loosing the belt will unload it some. you may have to change the belt a little sooner but it sure beats splitting cases anyday

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
a lot 950 tourers had pulleys that are misaligned from the factory more than a few smoked the countershaft bearing because of it, running the belt looser than the factory spec will save the bearing, it's the side thrust from misaligned pulleys the causes bearing failure loosing the belt will unload it some. you may have to change the belt a little sooner but it sure beats splitting cases anyday

Thanks Pauli466! That's exactly what I was starting to think was going on. Regardless of how well the rear axle is adjusted the belt rides to the outside on the front pulley and rubs the lip. If I adjust the belt to snug it causes it to make noise. I wonder if any adjustment could be made to how the engine is mounted in the frame to adjust the geometry?

2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 06:11 PM

Garage
you can remove the front pulley and put a shim behind it to bring it out to get it in line, if the belt was to inside then you would shave some material off on the back side of the pulley to get it in line, other than that you would need to shift the whole engine one way or the other by shaving the mounting bosses on the cases. but for now loosen the belt to be safe

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'm a little confused. Putting a whim behind the pulley wouldn't change the angle that it's sitting at so wouldn't the belt just continue to run out? At least for a ways? I have no problem at all putting a 1/16" (or so) shim behind the pulley, but would that be enough?

2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 06:42 AM

Garage
your thinking the engine is twisted in the frame? , if that's the case the rear wheel can be adjusted to compensate, doesn't the rear wheel have draw bolts on each side?. a 1/16 shim seems a bit extreme, you only want to go the very minimum to line it up, don't look for perfection, even .5 to 1mm shim would most likely get it close enough to stop the side load on the bearing, and cocking the wheel very slightly, won't affect handling. just remember to try small adjustments, if you go to far it can and will cause problems. if you can lay a straight edge across both pulleys to confirm how much misalignment exists using your eyes on something like that can be very misleading

Last edited by pauli466; 07-28-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode