Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Electrical gremlin attack!

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Smink 
#1 ·
"Signal fuse 10A" suddenly after filling up popped the fuse. Had no gages or idiot lights (neutral). Tried another 10amp and everything worked (fuel gage, neutral light) UNTIL I switched turn signal!

Any suggestions where I start looking????

#4 ·
A fuse will blow from one of two reasons. One: you have a direct short to ground in that circuit. Two: you have added extra electrical accessories to that circuit and are pulling more amps than the fuse can handle. A bad bulb should not blow a fuse unless the glass is broken and the element is shorting to ground.

#5 ·
Do you have a copy of the service manual? If you google "roadstar service manual" the first item will be a 12 MB pdf of your service manual. Chapter 7 covers electrical fairly in depth.

It looks like the circuit flows fuse->relay->switch->lights->ground. The service manual will give you the complete circuit. The plugs for reading the circuit look like they are both in the headlamp assembly.

If the problem is only when activating one side and not the other, a likely area would be a loose/broken or chaffed wire grounded out. Otherwise the switch or the relay could be shorted to ground. There's not much to the circuit if you take a moment or two to peruse chapter 7.

#7 ·
Well, I have a fuel gage showing 1/4 and tank is full.

Everything else works except when I activate left blinker, fuse blows.

Right blinker works fine. ~~ means the blinker relay is OK, correct?

How would the fuel sending unit be causing left blinker to blow the 10amp fuse?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.