Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? - Page 10 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:55 AM

When I purchased my Warrior, the previous owner had installed Samson Ripsaws with no baffles. Insanely and obnoxiously loud. I installed 10" Samson baffles and they helped some. Still loud but not as bad. I'm currently looking for something a little less obnoxious.
With that said, one of the first things that I did was install a better horn. Horns seem to do a much better job of getting a persons attention than exhaust. I've always believed that situational awareness and ability/skill are your best friends when on a motorcycle, not loud exhaust.
Like the saying goes; "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do".
bevo1981 and CanadianMohawk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 AM
KCW

Garage
A loud exhaust has the same lethal fault as a loud horn

if you are in someones blind spot, or they dont see you, and you make a loud noise, if they cant see you they wont know where its coming from, and may run you over anyway.

If a person has poor hearing in one ear, they cannot tell what direction sound is coming from.

When discussions about putting car tires on motorcycles comes up, one of the points frequently made is no one has yet been able to point to a motorcycle accident and show it was caused by having a car tire on the bike instead of a motorcycle tire

but Im pretty sure there have been many motorcycle riders in serious or fatal accidents, inspite of having loud exhaust. Its not the same logical argument, but if someone cant see you, or they cant hear you, its up to you to get out of their path and stay alive.
bevo1981 likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 04-18-2019 at 05:55 PM.
post #93 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
because they like the loud sound. just admit it. nothing wrong with it.

as someone mentioned earlier, it's difficult to determine the direction of a loud sound when you're driving.
I like my stock pipes just fine.

"Nothing wrong with loud pipes" -- true, usually, but it kinda depends on how loud, where and when it is.

I don't necessarily believe the loud pipes save lives story either -- BUT -- you wouldn't catch me in traffic on a silent electric bike or a bicycle either.

" ... it's difficult to determine the direction of a loud sound ... " Very true. I occasionally find myself sitting at a stop light when I hear a siren approaching and I frequently cannot tell which way it is coming from. Then I'm frantically looking for the lights to know whether or not I need to move or not move.

My stock 950 pipes are not loud, but my riding buddy tells me when we are on the road he can hear me increase throttle over the wind and his suzuki 1400 intruder, so they aren't too quiet, either.
KCW and CanadianMohawk like this.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:24 AM

Garage
I am a very strange fellow, I am large and easy to spot, and have been for most of my youth, I work hard to not be noticed to the point of being able to sneak up on people. I enjoy the loudness the rusty pipes on my truck has developed, but I feel almost as much of a jackass as I consider those who "Carolina squat" their trucks. (If you don't know about that, it's stupid and I would not trust them behind me when I'm riding)

Safety First, Comfort Second, Speed Always.
Consider, your decisions often affect others more than you.
post #95 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:25 PM

Loud verses OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD

First of all, I love the sound of a V-Twin engine! I want to hear it with my helmet on, but I don't want it to hurt my ears without one or make babies cry in houses I pass by. I want to choke guys who ride by on a motorcycle so loud that sitting in an outside cafe you have to wait until they pass to finish your conversation.

I made my own pipes and worked hard on making my own baffles so the pipes wouldn't be too loud. They are still louder than some riders might like, but one persons version of Loud may be fine to them while another considers that volume too much. If people are telling you your pipes are too loud they probably are, but so far I've never had anyone complain about mine or even comment on the volume.

Do loud pipes save lives? The question falsely assumes that even if they do that makes them acceptable. If driving with a train horn blasting on your car saved lives it wouldn't justify ramping up your personal safety probability at the expense of the peace/quiet of everyone you pass.
Scrumdown likes this.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signatu...pic35141_6.gif

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode