Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? - Page 12 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:12 PM

I am about 150' from the 5 Fwy and the two loudest things I here are loud motorcycles and jake brakes. The motorcycles are louder.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:35 PM

Garage
Loud bikes are REALLY annoying and I prefer my bikes quiet.

However, they are absolutely safer and there is no debating that. When in a car you can always hear that obnoxious sound when a bike is in your blind spot, etc.

Same reason emergency vehicles have sirens - so you can hear them coming.

07 Vstar 650
post #113 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:58 PM
KCW

Garage
someone found my comments offensive, so i deleted them as well

Last edited by KCW; 07-21-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 AM

Garage
I deleted the last few post as they were getting too negative against a fellow forum member. Bevo had chimed in about respectful toward other forum members. If you cannot state your opinion without commenting negatively about another forum members comments, them don't post. Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #115 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:36 PM

Noisy pipes

Good day, everyone!

I'm in FULL agreement about courtesy to fellow members. It's their IDEAS or OPINIONS that HAVE to be open to criticism, otherwise, we have no basis for intelligent discourse.

I thought I had restricted my criticism to these elements, but if I offended anyone by disparaging their character, I'll apologize. Did anyone complain? Specifically about my comment "about them"?

Here's the problem with shutting down my comments about LOUD PIPES.

1. FIRST AND FOREMOST: As was stated by the moderator, the ENTIRE Forum is based on the premise that members "...must agree to treat others with basic courtesy at all times." Much like civilization's longest standing "golden rule": do unto others...etc.

By definition, LOUD PIPES violate this principle, are NOT courteous and are therefore contrary to the stated principles of the site.

SOME people DO like listening to their OWN loud pipes. However, VERY FEW people, if any (especially NON-bikers, who are, 92% of the population, (https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ange-for-2018/) like listening to the sound of anyone ELSE'S loud pipes.

2. Forum rules refer to "races, nationality, creed, religion, etc". I'm pretty sure I made no such reference.
Forum rules refer to "personal attacks", using "terms such as “stupid, idiot, moron etc.” I don't think I made such a comment about ANY forum member...but if I did, I apologize.

3. I'm not sure who posed the original question, but if we want to find out what anybody and everybody thinks of loud pipes, let's use SurveyMonkey or Zoho Survey and ask some key, measurable questions, like...

a) do you like loud pipes

b) do you think the 92% of North Americans who do not own motorcycles are more likely to agree with you... or disagree with you

c) do you think loud pipes are more likely to create a good impression, or a bad impression of motorcyclists in the car-driving public

d) why do you like loud pipes... 1. you like the sound, 2. you think they make you easier to "detect" by car-drivers therefore make you safer, 3. you like to "raise hell" and get attention wherever you drive

e) if it were proven to you that loud pipes do NOT reduce accidents, would you be likely to own quieter pipes

f) whose scientific data would you believe, if any, when it came to publishing information about any safety or social factors related to loud pipes vs quiet pipes and what the pros and cons of each might be

I've been riding for over 55 years.
I'm a certified instructor of the Canada Safety Council's 'Gearing Up' Motorcycle Safety Training program which is an affiliate of the US Motorcycle Safety Foundation, the largest trainer for safe motorcycling on the continent.
I'm a past president of Canada's most esteemed Motorcycle Racing Club, member of the Canadian Motorcycle Association and active member of the Motorcycle and Moped Industry Council.
In short, I know whereof I speak. And here are the two things my vast and varied motorcycle experience has taught me:

1. Loud pipes do not save lives
2. Loud pipes create bad will and poor public relations between the 8 out of 100 people who DO ride and the 92 who don't.

Loud pipes are a ZERO SUM GAME.

Anyone who believes they have the right to inflict the sound THEY love on the ears of virtually everybody else within miles who DOESN'T is no less inconsiderate and misguided than the person who thinks he has the right to set off fireworks or play ZZ Top at concert-level volume, in their back yard, anytime night or day, without regard for the right to peace and quiet of their neighbours.

If you DO have loud pipes, think about it. That's all I ask.
camperbc and stratsurvivor like this.

Better to HAVE a gun and not need it than to NEED a gun and not have it.
(Slogan-Calgary revolver club)
Applies to everything, if you think about it!
post #116 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

posts were removed that were disparaging directly against bikers, fellow members and visitors of this site who own 'loud' pipes, not just the pipes themselves. end of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
the ENTIRE Forum is based on the premise that members "...must agree to treat others with basic courtesy at all times." Much like civilization's longest standing "golden rule": do unto others...etc. By definition, LOUD PIPES violate this principle, are NOT courteous and are therefore contrary to the stated principles of the site.

nobody is revving their pipes on this site. all i hear is the hum of my CPU fan.

there was a poll. by motorcycle.com. it's the title of this thread and located on the first page. here's the results of 2500 voters - 35% like 'loud' pipes as opposed to 65%:
https://www.poll-maker.com/results11...02649-46#tab-2

as for the 92% of Americans who don't own a bike, for accuracy sake, that number is actually referring to 8% of American households that have a registered motorcycle. the number of individualswho own a bike is actually closer to about 3% according to the DOT(https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ownership.aspx). in Texas, that number is less than 2%.

for the more than 98% of Texans who do not own a motorcycle, i have no idea how many of them do or don't like 'loud' pipes. there is no poll or survey that i know of that shows any kind of consensus at which point the decibel level of motorcycle exhaust becomes 'loud' or "obnoxious" and at what distance. straight pipes a mile away from everyone surely isn't being "obnoxious" to anyone. stick your head right up to the end of a Goldwing exhaust and that would probably be "discourteous" to most. your stock exhaust could be 'loud' and annoying to someone with a Prius. there are plenty of people who don't like seeing motorcycles on the road at all. should you quit riding to appease them? but here's a few thousand Austinites that line up for miles on the side of the road every year to watch and listen to what is arguably the world's largest motorcycle parade during ROT rally (a video i made a few years ago, you can skip to the 3:07 and/or 3:27 marks to see the crowds lined up along the streets). so apparently some of the non-motorcycle riding public don't mind 'loud' pipes that much. don't ever recall seeing a single protestor:

lesblank and Minister like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #117 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
there was a poll. by motorcycle.com. it's the title of this thread and located on the first page. here's the results of 2500 voters - 35% like 'loud' pipes as opposed to 65%:
https://www.poll-maker.com/results11...02649-46#tab-2
Oh yes! The scientific survey with 2 questions, both with pre-crafted, unrelated "reasons" for the responses:

1. I LIKE loud pipes.........why?....... "I want people to hear me before they see me". (what happened to "I like the sound......"riding a dragon"....and all that other stuff?

2. I DISLIKE loud pipes........why?...... "because I can make more HORSEPOWER without being obnoxiously loud". (what, no option for "I like NOT pissing off my neighbours"....or, "I can negotiate dangerous driving situations using skill instead of noise"?)

It was a little lame, wasn't it?
Maybe it would get more "interesting" if they would just add a 3rd question:
Would you like ALL motorcycles to have straight pipes? i.e. no mufflers?

Quote:
there are plenty of people who don't like seeing motorcycles on the road at all. should you quit riding to appease them?
No, I agree. But we could all consider obeying laws against unnecessary noise if it made MOST people happier.

Quote:
but here's a few thousand Austinites that line up for miles on the side of the road every year to watch and listen to what is arguably the world's largest motorcycle parade during ROT rally (a video i made a few years ago, you can skip to the 3:07 and/or 3:27 marks to see the crowds lined up along the streets). so apparently some of the non-motorcycle riding public don't mind 'loud' pipes that much.
I'm pretty sure that showing up at a parade with motorcycles in it doesn't prove I like loud pipes.

Oh, and "world's largest motorcycle parade"?
I'm so sorry to hear you've never been to Daytona for Speedweek, bevo. You gotta get there someday. The crowd that attends is a little over half the population of Austin.

post #118 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

don't think a lot of people would willingly go to an event like a parade if they didn't want to hear it. showing up and cheering on the sidelines is pretty much saying you don't mind the noise.

can't find any information on Daytona's parade. no mention of one on their website or in a Google search. and the ROT rally has been known for having the largest, even if unofficially (i said "arguably"), for a long time.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #119 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
don't think a lot of people would willingly go to an event like a parade if they didn't want to hear it. showing up and cheering on the sidelines is pretty much saying you don't mind the noise.

can't find any information on Daytona's parade. no mention of one on their website or in a Google search. and the ROT rally has been known for having the largest, even if unofficially (i said "arguably"), for a long time.
Hey, bevo, I'll meet you half-way: I'll agree that if you're at the parade...you probably don't MIND the noise. I'm just saying it doesn't prove you PREFER noisy! How's that for a compromise? LOL

You're right about Daytona. I tried like hell to find an "official" parade schedule like they "used to have"........back in the day. They MAY very well have cancelled it years ago, simply on the basis that on any given day, there are soooo many bikes tootling up and down Main St. and Hwy A1A that they constitute a non-stop, ipso facto parade, and therefore no "official" parade is required. (See
)

Regarding ROT, I was indeed surprised to see what accolades they got on this site: https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/7-...rallies-in-us/
Right up there with the best. Good onya.

Have a good evening, bud. Hope riding weather is as superb THERE this week as it it here.
Cheers,
Scotty

post #120 of 123 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:22 AM

Garage
I was down in daytona once for the 500> Also for bikeweek. Being from the north it was 60* and like summer. The first night we slept with the balcony door open. All you heard was bikes all night long. That was about the craziest i have ever seen. That was in about 1985.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode