Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes?

Quote:
'Loud pipes save lives' and 'the louder it is the faster it is' are all phrases youve probably heard before, but for a lot of people particularly the non-riding public loud exhausts prove to be obnoxious. Which camp do you find yourself in?
Read more about the Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 03:26 PM

what with budget cuts there are fewer police to enforce noise violations.
Elk likes this.
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 04:32 PM

I like silent pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 04:38 PM

Garage
I recently put a set of Cobra slip-ons on my 1100 and while it's a little louder than I prefer, I have to admit that I do feel safer in multi lane traffic. Nice to know I can just burp the throttle if I'm not sure that car next to me knows I'm there. They may not always see me, but they can definitely hear me now.

On the down side, they can be quite loud, to the point of being very obnoxious if I come onto it. I try to idle quietly around my neighborhood though. My wife didn't hear me pull into the driveway the other night so I guess they're not too bad if used for good and not evil.

So I suppose I'm kinda on the fence.

Do they save lives?

Debateable.

Does it sound better?

Oh, hell yeah.
Elk, Elk, graybeard and 3 others like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 08:00 PM

Garage
my road burners were too loud even with the so called baffle in them, i put sink drain baskets in and now they sound better, they can get kinda loud at full throttle but i don't really do that in the city. without those drain cups it was like the noise was bouncing around in my helmet, who would want a bike that is so loud that you need ear plugs to be comfortable when riding more than a 1/2 hour. anyone that says they don't mind a loud bike blasting by their house when they are relaxing is lying that would be annoying to anything with ears. are loud pipes safer i would have to say yes at least up on the interstate i believe they are
graybeard likes this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 07-16-2017 at 08:03 PM.
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 08:16 PM
KCW

Garage
If you take the premise that loud pipes are safer than a quiet machine
then the logical conclusion is that all motor vehicles should be operated with no exhaust:

motorcycles, cars, trucks, buses... because its not just motorcycles that are getting into accidents.

35,000 people died in vehicle accidents in the US last year, and a couple hundred thousand were serious injured, and their vehicles destroyed.

If you need to alert someone to your presence blow your horn. If your horn is not loud enough get a better one.
If you want everyone to know you are there all the time, blow your horn all the time.

yeah... it sounds stupid when you take it to the logical conclusion. It is stupid.

what most riders with loud pipes actually want, is for everyone else to have quiet mufflers on their vehicles, and to get the hell out of their way.

why dont we split the difference: take the stock mufflers off your bike, and put a horn on the exhaust pipes, so the horn blows all the time when the bike is running. If you have 4 cylinders you can tune each horn to play a Emaj7 chord in harmony. The harder you are cranking the engine, the louder that Emaj7 will wail!
Elk, Elk, ceanderson and 7 others like this.

Last edited by KCW; 07-16-2017 at 08:29 PM.
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 08:28 PM

Garage
I've got stock pipes on my 2012 Roadliner. They are a little quite. On my 2012 Stratoliner, I've got the D&D Slip-On muffler. I do prefer this muffler. It's a little louder but not too loud, like my son's 2009 Honda VTX1300R with Vane& Hines pipes.

As far as getting someone's attention, that is coming into my lane, these bikes have two loud horns, and they get others' attention when I lay it on them.

Last edited by Towersx; 07-17-2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: correcting text
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Garage
I believe there was a study done that found that loud pipes really don't do much for you safety wise. Because they are typically low, bass-y sound, you can't easily tell the direction it's coming from. You may hear it, but you don't really know directionally where it is coming from which could actually do the opposite for your safety (say someone thinks you're on their left and you are on their right).

Personally, my pipes are fairly loud and I actually wish they were quieter. Stopped at a red light I feel bad, like I would if I had a loud stereo...except I can't turn my bike "down" like a stereo, heh. I ride with a friend pretty often and until I get some kind of communicator/intercom like a SENA, I have to just shout like crazy at stops and hope he hears me (which he usually can't).

2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
Boise, ID
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 08:47 AM
KCW

Garage
Thats funny Weise. I few times bikes with loud pipes have stopped right next to me at a red light, and I cannot hear my own (stock 650) engine running.

I either have to take off using muscle memory to slip the clutch without stalling the bike, rev it up a bit... or wait a few seconds for them to take off so I can hear my own engine.
WeiseGuy, WeiseGuy and graybeard like this.
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 08:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Thats funny Weise. I few times bikes with loud pipes have stopped right next to me at a red light, and I cannot hear my own (stock 650) engine running.

I either have to take off using muscle memory to slip the clutch without stalling the bike, rev it up a bit... or wait a few seconds for them to take off so I can hear my own engine.
Previous owner definitely changed out the pipes, haha. I think they are some kind of Vance & Hines pipes.

2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
Boise, ID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode