Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

jetting and air intake after Cobra slip ons

10K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Lumberjack 
#1 ·
So I have been sitting on my new 1100 classic all winter. It finally got above freezing here so I took it for a rip. The sound is fantastic but she is running lean and backfiring a little. I went to order the jet kit and the supplier recommender hyper drive or at least better air filter as well. Any recommendations would be appreciated. i dont really want to buy a hyper drive i am not a big believer in them as far as improving performance but would love others input thanks.

#2 ·
Modifying your intake wont help if it's running lean, that's just someone trying to sell you crap. Rejet to whatever is recommended for your setup.

If you want more power, then consider modifying your intake with pods, and rejet for that

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
It's your air induction system. Basically recycles air back into the system, makes your bike run "cleaner". Some states, such as California, require this for emissions.

The pump is located behind your left side cover, pipes run from there into each head. The knowledge base has a lot of info on it, and there's also a sticky here for the removal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#19 ·
To answer all the people saying slip ons don't require a rejet: I bought a 650 second hand with Cobra slip on, slash cuts.

It would cough, wheeze and sneeze back all the time. I went with a single .020" shim under each needle, and then a tiny bump up from 90 to 92.5 on the mains, and it works like a charm from 25% to 100% throttle (ok, I don't ever go 100% but I noticed it would still cough/wheeze at say 60mph, but after the rejet/shims, no problemo!)

So it really varies by application I think. You may need a rejet.

Also, air filters? To help with a lean issue? Your exahust is already allowing more air to flow through/flow easier, why would someone recommend adding an EVEN more free flowing intake? That just leans it out more!

(From what I recall, the GAK air kit asks for 127.5 mains on a 650, so it must be something bigger on the 1100, especially with an exhaust)

Look into rejetting/adjusting the needles!

PS Adrian: Nice to see someone else from the nation's capital! :D I will be looking to remove my AIS in the spring, I really need to look into how it's done properly haha (haven't done it yet, but I am glad I am saving 45acp brass!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.