V Star 950 Dive Belt - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

V Star 950 Dive Belt

Hey, I'm looking for a good deal on a drive belt to fit a 2012 950 tourer. If you have or know of a good deal on one please let me know.
Peace,
Steve

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:11 AM

Dang...sounds like this is possibly a result of your previous thread. What happened, if you don't mind sharing?

Bart
'12 950 VStar Tourer
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Actually the belt was already worn. I think I ran it to tight previously. Also, there seems to be some others who've had to replace between 20-30k. I have every intention of going back with the new pulley.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

I also found that if I set my axel with equal measurements on each side the belt doesn't run true. For me, it works better to set the tension and spin the wheel until i find the sweet spot where the belt runs center of the pulley. Not sure if this in a problem for anyone else. I bought the bike new, but it would seem that the engine is sitting slightly angled in the chassis?

2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:56 AM

Thanks @NC_Steve. I was very interested in the results you were seeing with the new pulley but I think you are working above my mechanical ability and I hate to mess with a system that's working, even though I have wished for just a bit lower rpm's at 75-80 mph.

Bart
'12 950 VStar Tourer
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

No worries. I'll keep you updated. I realized my belt was wearing on the side closest to the bike so I figured it was the perfect time to try the mod. If it did mess up my belt I wouldn't be out anything because the belt is already starting to need replaced.
The pulley has the same offset and belt geometry as your stock one. It just has one more tooth. The Stryker and raider guys are using our (and the 1300) pulley for more low end power.
My belt problem appears to be with how my engine sets in the frame. Regardless of how well I have the rear axle adjusted, the belt rubs the outside lip of the front pulley. (Away from the bike.) it's always done it and when I have the belt adjusted to tight it makes a creaking noise. I haven't figured out a way to adjust the angle of the front pulley and I wonder if anyone else has the same situation? Anyway, that's my story! Hope it helps.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode