Just got a roadie. Trying to get on the road. I'm thinking carbs. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Marcos Ramirez
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider
  • 4 Post By afaycasaym

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Just got a roadie. Trying to get on the road. I'm thinking carbs.

Ok. Sorry this will be long, but you need the whole story.

So I didn't have enough money to buy a nice perfect r*, but I got one that had been sitting for two years for a great deal. He's was in south Carolina, I'm in north. Average temps are extremely close, he might be slightly higher elevation, but can't be by much. (This is for later)
So when I got it I started tearing it down. When I opened the carbs they were green and really bad inside. See pics. So I got all the goodies to rebuild her minus the actual carb housing and other parts that survived. Cleaned the whole system. Was really sad that such a beauty was allowed to get this bad. But he always thought he'd get back on one day.
So I did the rebuild. I'm not a mechanic but I got skills. I got that thing beautiful. Used needles and pipe cleaners, soaking and replacing until everything was free flowing again.

New the reason I mentioned our locations, is this. THIS SUCKER WILL NOT RUN RIGHT! The best I can describe. When I start it cold, the choke has to be OFF. If I choke it, it sounds like I'm choking it. If I let off is smooth. The rmps dip when iadd choke, and increase when I close it. Any throttle, coughs and sputters. Enough throttle, dies.
The jets are oem, ordered from Yamaha dealer. As I mentioned we're low lying in Carolina. The only exhaust mod was the stage 1 holes drilled in cone. Not enough for rejet. I adjusted the float, accelerator pump, pms. Still. The slightest throttle, puhpuhpuh. If I let it warm up for 10 min ir so, throttle is more whup whup puhpuhpuh. If I place my hand over Airbox opening it gets smoother but too close it dies, but still won't accept throttle. There was only one jet I didn't remove because it was acting like it would break. It is at an angle and I didn't like it. But I shot my air compressor through it and it seemed ok.
So in synopsis. The choke acts like it's reversed. It starts and idles ok, but the slightest gas kills it. All the jets are replaced or were accepting air through it. The diaphragm is good. The accelerator pump is good and it sprays good. Float sry best I can. I'm at lower elevation. Only stage 1 mod. Oh and New plugs.

Is there anyone who has any ideas? I'm dying here seeing this in my garage and not being able to ride. This weather is perfect and I'm going down the road in a cage. Smh

If I can add pictures I'll do so.If not maybe I'll add them to my profile.
Thanks y'all.
bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:17 PM

Garage
Just bumping this up for ya. I'm no expert but from what everyone says syncing the carbs can solve a lot a problems. Possible air leak somewhere - cracked intake boots? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.
bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:46 PM

Garage
ROADSTARS do NOT have Carbs to sync .. there's only one Carb ... ??????????????????
Seriously ? do you evnen know what kind of motorcycle you own LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:06 PM

Garage
do a compression test to see if any valves/rings are leaking, i always do a quick compression test first because if that isn't right all tinkering in the world won't make it run, i'v made engines run without carburetors on them with just spraying cleaner into the intake as long as there is compression and spark it should run a few seconds actually run not sputter and cough. i know the choke on mine isn't a choke at all it opens a small separate orifice to allow more fuel into the carb, no butterfly. and the main jet lets the fuel into an (emulsion tube) which then feeds into another tube called the (jet nozzle) which has the (jet needle) sticking down through it. the jet nozzle is one part people forget to remove and clean also the pilot air bleeds hardly ever get mentioned and need cleaning also, iv seen bugs get into pilot air bleeds often

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 06-17-2017 at 04:22 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie2 View Post
ROADSTARS do NOT have Carbs to sync .. there's only one Carb ... ??????????????????
Seriously ? do you evnen know what kind of motorcycle you own LOL
It appears the OP is new to the Yamaha Star line and may not correctly know his model...BFD. That's no reason to put a guy on Blast coming here for help because he's mistaken about his model. He may have incorrectly been told the model he purchased. I've seen plenty of people and dealers incorrectly list bikes. There are forums that seem to dig this kind of Sh*t, but this isn't one of them. At least based on the short time I've been around here.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:52 AM

Garage
northern rider who mentioned syncing isn't the owner of the roadie Marcos is, so saying northern rider doesn't know his bike is wrong he owns an 1100 which he probably knows a lot about, people need to start looking closer to who is posting which thread. marcos does say he tore down the ( CARBS ) on his new roadie, i don't get why he said that when roadies only use one carb but nowhere in that thread does he mention syncing

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 06-19-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode