Clutch clunk slip? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Clutch clunk slip?

Hello guy's! Just picked a 2004 yamaha road star 1700. I paid less then a 1000$. Got it from a buddy... it has some issues (I believe it's related to the clutch)
Bike starts up and runs great.
The only issue is when you put it in gear and try to take off (the clutch slips) and you hear a clunking sound as you try to accelerate. Once you get up to speed it clunking stops. If you try to accelerate again the clutch slips and the clunk returns.... now my buddy claims he did the clutch a few months ago but is pretty sure he did it wrong.
The clunk bothers me ( you can hear it and feel it) make me think there is more then just clutch issues. Any advice.
2004 yamaha road star 1700

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Anyone?

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:38 AM
KCW

Garage
he definitely messed up something, it obviously should not be clunking. If it was just a matter of adjustment it would be slipping or clunking when you shift, but not all the time on the throttle.

Dont keep riding till you get it fixed. Mechanical parts are pumped full of noise at the machine shop. Once all the noise leaks out they stop working.

Seriously though, things banging and clunking are doing damage. Sorry to be the bear of bad news.
misfitted and misfitted like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:44 AM

If it were mine I would either dig into the case and look at the clutch or tow it to a shop and pay someone to look at it. Sure would not ride it without knowing for sure.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:14 AM
KCW

Garage
it may not be the clutch. It could be one of the splines in the drive train, or the drive belt could be jumping teeth....
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

To me it sounds like a gear stripped (like a gear is skipping teeth) you can fill to bike catching and such.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys here is a update with a video.... I found somethings out I didn't know....
When the bike is off. If you put it in gear and press the clutch - the clutch doesn't fully disengage (you have the rock the bike a few times before it fully releases).
If you have the bike in gear with the clutch in and try to start it - the bike will attempt to take off.... the clunking sound is also present when you roll the bike around (just not as bad)
My buddy keeps saying something about a Bellville washer he forgot to install.... anyone heard of such a thing?

Here the video https://youtu.be/bAs7P7ffoIo

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Also my buddy said the is the same thing it did last the the clutch went out.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:07 PM
KCW

Garage
The clutch is in the oil, and after the bike has sat for a while (as little as 4 hours) the clutch plates can hydro-lock just from the surface tension of the oil.

Its normal when you get on the bike in the morning or after work, if you pull the clutch in while in gear you cannot move the bike, and if you start it, it will lurch. If you start it in neutral then shift down to first with the clutch in, it will also lurch. Always hold the brakes on when you first kick the bike into gear while its running. Once the surface tension has pulled free it should not keep doing this. Another way of saying this, its like licking a suction cup and sticking it to a window, it really sticks. Whether the clutch lever is in or out, if its stuck its stuck till you jar it loose.

Its also normal for a bike to be harder to push in gear with the clutch pulled in, than in neutral. You are spinning the whole transmission when the bike is in gear, and the clutch does have a bit of oil drag, and its spinning pretty fast with you just pushing the bike in first gear. When you have to move the bike its easier to always put it in neutral.

having said all that, the clunking is still not normal, you got something in there that needs attention. It could be something simple, so there is no point getting worried till you find out what it is.

Last edited by KCW; 06-12-2017 at 10:09 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
The clutch is in the oil, and after the bike has sat for a while (as little as 4 hours) the clutch plates can hydro-lock just from the surface tension of the oil.

Its normal when you get on the bike in the morning or after work, if you pull the clutch in while in gear you cannot move the bike, and if you start it, it will lurch. If you start it in neutral then shift down to first with the clutch in, it will also lurch. Always hold the brakes on when you first kick the bike into gear while its running. Once the surface tension has pulled free it should not keep doing this. Another way of saying this, its like licking a suction cup and sticking it to a window, it really sticks. Whether the clutch lever is in or out, if its stuck its stuck till you jar it loose.

Its also normal for a bike to be harder to push in gear with the clutch pulled in, than in neutral. You are spinning the whole transmission when the bike is in gear, and the clutch does have a bit of oil drag, and its spinning pretty fast with you just pushing the bike in first gear. When you have to move the bike its easier to always put it in neutral.

having said all that, the clunking is still not normal, you got something in there that needs attention. It could be something simple, so there is no point getting worried till you find out what it is.
Awsome good info? I'm gonna try and pull it down tommarow and see if I can find anything. I'm just hoping I don't need some kinda crazy transmission rebuild that's gonna cost a thousand dollars. Have you ever heard of a clutch going bad and causing such noise? My buddy swears it's all clutch related. Thanks again bud!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode