What is a fair price - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By cokerb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

What is a fair price

A friend has a 2008 Road Star. Bike is stock except for windshield and driver backrest. Has 185 miles on it. Clutch plates were stuck but freed up when I rode it. Had a bad skip and black substance running front somewhere onto pipes. Owner thinks a valve is stuck. I offered him 3000 as is a few weeks back and he said he thought it was worth more. Saw him today and asked if he had the plugs he wanted me to put in it. He said, "Why don't you buy the bike and fix it. If you decide you don't want it I will give you your money back plus whatever you have spent fixing it"
First Question-------- What is a fair price. I was think 3800.00
Second Question----what might be causing the black substance and what could it be a sign of.
Third Question-----What else do I need to look for
I understand the friendship risk. I would not even pay for the bike until I decided whether or not I wanted it. We would just agree on a price. Also money in not an issue with the owner. This is one of 6 bikes he has because he likes them. They all just sit is his garage and are never ridden unless I or someone else rides them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:29 PM
KCW

Garage
thats a tough one.

To get the best price on a MC it has to be running and licensed so buyers can take it for a ride, make sure its all solid, have a good maintenance record... that is the best situation for a seller.

The price goes down from there: if the bike was left somewhere with no records or title (estate sale or abandoned)

if the bike is not running (dead battery...)

if the bike is known to have a problem

and worse case, it has been tinkered with, partly taken apart... basket case.

You are close to the high end. If the owner took it to a shop and a mechanic could say for sure whats wrong, then he could put a solid price on it, have it fixed at his expense, and then sell it for top dollar. The cost of fixing it gets passed on to the buyer (you).

If you would rather fix it yourself, then its a matter of opinion of what its worth, and there is some risk, that he might sell it too cheap, or you might pay too much.

The best thing I can think of, since you know each other, look the bike up on one of the used bike price websites (or on a few), agree to what the bike would be worth if it was in good running condition, and then if you think you can fix it yourself, you do the work, split the difference on the cost (parts and your time), so you save some money by not paying a mechanic, and in effect he pays you half of what it would cost him to pay a mechanic.

I think with only 185 miles on the odo the owner is looking at it like a brand new bike, but price is primarily based on its age, and then condition.

Its possible you two may not be able to agree on a price that will make you both happy, because if he is willing to let it sit in a garage unridden, then why sell it?

I dont know about where you live, but here in upstate NY a LOT of people buy new bikes, ride them a few hundred miles a year, and after 7 to 10 years they still have the original tires and less than 10,000 miles, and you can get them for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a new bike. And they still have 90,000 miles of useful life on them.
cokerb and cokerb like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:21 AM

Garage
What happened? Did you by the bike?

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

I did not buy the bike. Was looking around and found a 08 Stratoliner in excellent condition with 17000 miles for 4500.00. Bought it instead. Just got the Road Star out of the shop a week ago today. Had to flush the fuel system, replace the fuel regulator and then the fuel pump at a total cost of about 1800 dollars. Have put about 200 miles on the bike and it seems to be running great. Now I am going to sell it for the friend.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:33 PM

Garage
So when the road star switch to fuel injection in 2004, it needed a fuel pump and is no longer gravity fed?

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
So when the road star switch to fuel injection in 2004, it needed a fuel pump and is no longer gravity fed?
The Road Star (non Warrior) went to fuel injection in '08. Previous versions did utilize a fuel pump as well on the carburetor equipped bikes. There have been several that have removed the fuel pump after making a needle and seat change.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 09:08 AM
KCW

Garage
I didn't know the early Road Star bikes only had one carb. Now I'm liking them even better.

Its getting very hard for me to decide what bike to get next for long distance touring: Road Star, V star 1300, Royal Star, FJR1300 .... ?

I think I will have to set up a GoFundMe page so I can buy all of them, and garage to keep them in...

If anyone donates $1000 or more to my "cause" I will let you ride one of my motorcycles for 1 day. How does that sound?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 01:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I think I will have to set up a GoFundMe page so I can buy all of them, and garage to keep them in...

If anyone donates $1000 or more to my "cause" I will let you ride one of my motorcycles for 1 day. How does that sound?
Wow! Where do I sign? lol

I've already decided that my next one will be a Roadie. Love the long stroke design and the classic cruiser style.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Sold the bike for 3500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KCW and KCW like this.

2008 Stratoliner
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 05:12 PM
KCW

Garage
any roadstar with less than 1000 miles on the odo, that just got the once over from a professional shop - $3500 is a great price.

Ive been looking at craigslist here in upstate NY. There are about a dozen Roadstars for sale from $3k to $5k, with mileage from a few thousand to 30k miles.

Royal stars.. only a few for sale

Vstar 1300 are more common

And I notice there are no FJR1300 bikes listed at all. I wonder if that means they are not very popular bikes, or that people who buy them do not sell them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode