Front wheel wobble - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Kel

Question Front wheel wobble

2007 Roadstar 1700

I've noticed in the past few weeks that my front wheel is starting to wobble on deceleration. At first I didn't notice it, and thought it was just engine vibration, but I decided to loosen my grip just a bit to see if it reacted. It did, and very quickly, it started to wobble left and right at first in slight movements, then got progressively more violent as I slowed down. Reaffirming positive control stabilized the bike, but I am worried that it will only get worse. It only happens when I'm decelerating, and from about 30mph down to about fifteen. I have since checked my tire pressure, which is good, and I also looked for signs of uneven wear, there was none. As this is my first Roadstar, is this common? If not (I would hope it isn't), what are some possible causes and fixes? Thanks all!

Kel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM

Front wheel wobble

I would check the wheel bearings.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Thanks,
Todd
2011 Yamaha V-Star Custom 650 ( XVS650AB )

Southern Cruisers Chapter 017 (Southwest Al.)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 AM

Hey Kel,
I've owned 5 RoadStars, some with the mileage pushed up pretty high, and I can feel confident saying that what you are experiencing is not typical steering behavior for a "maintained" RoadStar. I've also owned my fair share of late model Harley FLH's, and this problem is fairly typical with those bikes, even when new.

The HD tech's are directed to look for the obvious cause(s) first. This process will encompass, along with a thorough visual inspection, checking for: loose or missing hardware, unusual tire wear, low or high tire pressure, bent rim, proper spoke tension, out of balance wheel, wheel bearing issues, head bearing issue, nothing bent, broken...etc. The tech will do this for both the front, and the rear of the motorcycle. As odd as this may sound, loose/worn swing-arm bearings can cause a number of strange handling symptoms also.

If you don't want your favorite Yamaha shop to begin this process at $85.00hr, it is definitely worth giving it a try on your own. This will actually get you more familiar with your new ride and, who knows, you may discover the problem and have the unique satisfaction of repairing the bike on your own. Let us know how you make out.
R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 PM

Change the front tire!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Kel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smink View Post
Change the front tire!
Haha, tire is good I got my rear tire changed the other day and had them check out my front end, my steering bushing is loose. just waiting for a free weekend to tighten it up. thanks all for the advice!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 04:37 AM

Low pressure can also cause front wobble. I run 40 psi no worries.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smink View Post
Change the front tire!
... if it shows even minute cupping or uneven wear pattern.

......... agree with the 40psi

.......... now you MUST CHECK FRONT WHEEL ALIGNMENT & HEAD BEARING PRELOAD;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...&v=uhKxRlxK-uQ

............ now confirm rear wheel is in alignment with the front.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forums have a huge menu of opinion, read any cycle repair manual, fork alignment and bearing preload is paramount.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 12:57 PM

Steering head brgs are
Loose. Tighten them up a little. The deacceleraton wobble will go away.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel View Post
2007 Roadstar 1700

I've noticed in the past few weeks that my front wheel is starting to wobble on deceleration. At first I didn't notice it, and thought it was just engine vibration, but I decided to loosen my grip just a bit to see if it reacted. It did, and very quickly, it started to wobble left and right at first in slight movements, then got progressively more violent as I slowed down. Reaffirming positive control stabilized the bike, but I am worried that it will only get worse. It only happens when I'm decelerating, and from about 30mph down to about fifteen. I have since checked my tire pressure, which is good, and I also looked for signs of uneven wear, there was none. As this is my first Roadstar, is this common? If not (I would hope it isn't), what are some possible causes and fixes? Thanks all!

Kel
Raise the front wheel off of the ground & check the steering head bearings.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 AM

I had a problem with my 2002 Roadstar, while I was getting this problem fixed the technician noticed while the bike was on the jack, that the handlebars would go to either side on them self, he advised me that this wasn't supposed to be happening, the handlebars are suppose to stay where there at, this was picked up by him after he had gone for a test ride for the other problem, he said that the wheel bearing would need to be checked out and also the where the handlebars and the front forks are connected....we'll be doing this come next spring, not a good feeling these speed wobbles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode