headache after riding... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

headache after riding...

So at the advise of some of my Forum buddies here I ventured out on a 150 mile run today, and I have to say that it was interesting to see the number of Harleys have issues of some sort but the Road Star preformed great.

The gas mileage was OK 135 on the odometer and no gas light. The bike has power that string shots you forward no matter your gear choice.

My only issue is with the head buffering I figure that since I'm missing the wind defector lowers is it just me or have others dealt with this? The headache is minimum but present just the same. (I use a full face helmet do you guys think it would be worst if I went with a 3/4 helmet or half? Simply looking for input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 PM

headache after riding...

I have a 950 vstar and I had to put lowers on my bike when I did all the wind issues went away. I still feel some wind down around my feet but nothing around my head. I wear a full face in winter months and 3/4 in summer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 PM

headache after riding...

I also have a 950 and am planning to put lowers on it. Anything over 55 mph and my vision gets blurry from my head shaking around.

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 PM

headache after riding...

That's exactly what mine did, the lowers improved it 100 %. My wife couldn't even ride because of the wind but now all is well.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 06:54 AM

Garage
A few questions for you. Is your exhaust stock or is it loud? How much sound/air is getting under your helmet? I borrowed a buddies fullface to try it out and after only a few kilometers had to take it off as the wind and road noise was very loud to the point of being intolerable. Do you or have you worn ear plugs to see if it makes a difference? I had an issue with buffeting also but never to the point of giving me a headache. I ride with a half helmet and ear plugs and have no issues.

Just points to ponder.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
A few questions for you. Is your exhaust stock or is it loud? How much sound/air is getting under your helmet? I borrowed a buddies fullface to try it out and after only a few kilometers had to take it off as the wind and road noise was very loud to the point of being intolerable. Do you or have you worn ear plugs to see if it makes a difference? I had an issue with buffeting also but never to the point of giving me a headache. I ride with a half helmet and ear plugs and have no issues.

Just points to ponder.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.
The exhaust is not stock but did come on the bike so the band is unknown. The noise I won't say is because of the elements cause on the zx10 I have I uee the same helmet and have ridden the same ride w/o any issues. As for ear plugs I had head phones in one ear.
The lowers are on the things to get list for sure. Just like the highway bar are a must.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 PM

Check out Memphis Shades Lowers, simple to install, low cost, nice quality. look good and worked for me on the 1300 Tourer with 19 inch Yamaha windshield = no buffeting.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy View Post
Check out Memphis Shades Lowers, simple to install, low cost, nice quality. look good and no buffeting.
+1. Memphis Shades: Very effective product

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM

My 2 cents. I added a set to my 650 Classic and they did a great job. But in the Summer they restricted the air to my motor and I could feel the extra heat up around my legs and actully caused me to be uncomfortable on the bike.

Others have said they use the lowers in the cooler months and either remove them, or turn them back to allow more air in the Summer. Can anyone else verify this happening to them or was it my particular situation?

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Token
Silver/Blue Guy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Callred; 02-05-2013 at 12:54 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Afternoon Update with the wind buffering. The Wife and I began our ride to without helmets and I have to the initial impression was that The problem solve just don't wear a helmet. But that won't never happen because in Florida you need one just in case. So we stop by Wal-Mart and grabbed two FUEL DOT and I opt'd for Goggles

I feel better but the lowers are the next item I purchase. The Memphis look short plus I've heard of a forum member with a custom made version that is just as great when attempting to combat the buffering of the wind. If nothing else the chrome Yamaha Lowers will be the ticket.

I have to say Thanks for the heads up about the heat exchange during the summer temp, being in Florida won't make it easy but I have to try something.
Pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode