Buying a 2008 Road star - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bilzer
  • 2 Post By coffee man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Buying a 2008 Road star

Hello all,

I am pulling the trigger on buying a 2008 Road star Silverado S with 13K on it. Anything I should be looking for in particular with this year? It is the first year for fuel injection. I am going from a 1100 to the Road star.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:15 PM

Garage
The only issue I'm aware of that may be relevant on an 08 is the oil amount. Because of valves sticking on the early 1700s (2004+), Yamaha came out with a service bulletin that basically stated to use less oil than the listed amount in the manual of 4.3 quarts. I've stuck to a max of 4 quarts when changing my oil. Congrats on the bike!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I am heading out to NY to go and pick it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:18 PM

I had a 2009 Silverado S and was mostly disappointed with the bike. The vibration was more than I cared for. I also found it difficult to ride slow. You had to have the engine at least 1500 rpm (a guess) or it would not pull smooth. If you get stuck in slow moving traffic, you can't just loaf in 1st. The big twin is supposed to have soooo much torque at low revs but will shake and let you know it is not happy. At 60 mph in 5th it is not happy unless you are on a level. I had the back tire break loose on a wet pavement hill! A bit of an attention getter. I guess I was doing about 40 mph in second and I was trying to beat some rain and the tire spun on the wet road.
I do mostly two up riding with my sweetie and she is (the full package). The stock rear spring is too soft. We were dragging floor boards and hitting the frame. I put a pacific coast progressive spring in and was still scraping and hitting the frame. We previously had two Suzuki C50's and never hit the frame and did not change the spring. The Roadstar certainly was a lot quicker than the C50 but I was expecting more. Gear down for a tight curve and get on it, The thing should pick up very well. Considering the engine size, it should pull stronger than it does. An older 2007 Suzuki C90 1500cc is faster and smoother. A friend has a 2009 Harley Fat boy 96" motor and that engine will run in pretty much any gear and not shake or complain. Lug it in 6th gear at a stupid low speed and it doesn't complain. I'm glad to have moved to an FJR. It is fast without trying. The mommas and I don't hit any parts on the road. Going into a town speed zone, it will go down to an idle in 5th gear with the two of us on the level and roll just dandy. Gently twist and it pulls back to 55 no problem!

If you can, try to take one out for a good ride so you can validate what I've said. Depending on your riding it might suit you. It does roll along at Interstate speeds quite well but with vibration you either will accept or not.

David
2009 Roadstar Silverado S
2015 FJR ABS
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Coffee, I just picked it up and with a high of 32 degrees have about 50 miles on it. So far I am liking it and it is turning less RPM's than the 1100 I have. It does handle differently then the 1100 but I expected that. So far so good.
KCW and KCW like this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 09:08 PM

Glad you are liking it so far. A bit chilly at that temp to be riding. The one thing I liked about the Roadstar was there wasn't much driveline noise. The FJR when pulling or slowing you hear driveline noise. The 2016 and up have angle cut gears and 6 speeds and there is driveline noise with them as well. All bikes have their characteristics and some we might not like but can't change. Try to pick the make and model that best suits, change and farkle as desired and Ride! Was in the 40s here today but cloudy and drizzly. Not worth getting Rocky all dirty. Hoping for a 50s warm dry weekend! Might happen
KCW and KCW like this.

David
2009 Roadstar Silverado S
2015 FJR ABS
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 10:17 AM
KCW

Garage
in general its risky to let your rpms fall within a couple hundred rpms of idle speed. If your bike idle is 1200, keep it above 1500 in gear. The pressure out of the oil pump is a function of rpm, and if you let the engine slow down your oil pressure drops and bearings get starved for oil. Not too bad at idle, but not good under load.

Vstar engines have a shorter throw than HDs - they are designed to rev higher.

When you have to ride slower than clutch speed in 1st, slip the clutch, coast, slip, coast... keep your engine over idle speed.

you can ride the bike in gear at 1500 on level ground - I take corners in 3rd, and love to putter through town at 30mph in 5th gear, when Im practically coasting. If the bike had an oil pressure gauge it would all be clear when you are going too slow. But if I need to get on it, I kick it down a few gears.

Last edited by KCW; 11-19-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode