Roadstar modified. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Roadstar modified.

This was one of the reasons that I spent more time in the garage then on the computer. I've got a request to modify a Roadstar with some very special parts. The main issue was to get some Suzuki GSXR 600 wheels in the Roadstar and to widen the rear up to a 240 tire. And believe me, that was quit a challenge.
These were the original wheels, much smaller hub and the rear rim hase to become 18 inch 8J.

Front need two spacers to get de brake disc's about 40 mm to the outside, new kind of bearings because the axle's diameter was smaller as from our R*.

That was the easy part. The rear wheel was meant to use a chain instead of our belt. The connection with the silent blocks didn't fit, of course.

Left Roadstar, right Suzuki.
So I needed on one side the Suzuki hub connection and on the other side the R* connection to the rear pully.

These two connections bolted and glued together to a perfect new connection.

These are the new wheels.
Front...

..and rear.

So, its here 02:35 at night, I go for a small sleep. Tomorrow, no, today I'm going to dismantle a Stratoliner that gets a new paint job. This will be continued.
lesblank and lesblank like this.

Doing it yourself give,s a lot of satisfaction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here the second part of the story. There were some more wishes on the list.
1.A new rear fender who could carry a duo passenger.
2.Short exhaust with a deep sound.
3.A smaller rear brake disc, so the new wide wheel/tire max in sight.
4.A new solo seat on a new base plate.
5.A new handle bar, Ape style.
First the new rear wheel has to fit into the original swingarm so that the rear brake and the belt will function normally.

Left side with license plate.

Right side with a sleek brake calliper bracket, less is more.

Enough space left.

Here is the new rear fender, heavy duty steel.

And the front one.

Than came the exhaust. This was a bit of a challenge. My friend chooses a set of exhaust witch had a good sound. Now I has to arrange that they don't cover up the rear wheel to much and that they stand up a little. So I needed some pipes that could do the job.
One off our members trade's a lot in motorcycle parts, new and second hand. He had a pair of Short Shots with welded chrome heat shields. I wished my friend would like the the pipes to be black, but his preference was for the chrome. So I has to be very careful to prevent that the shields would damage to much.

And this was the final result.

For the rear brake calliper bracket I made this solution.

The set-up from the rear calliper and bracket.
The bracket has also the function off spacer on the rear axle. The bolt next to the axle is to prevent the bracket to turn after the axle bolt is fastened with the right Nm.

The new saddle.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Now the front, another handle bar, cables trough the bar, blinkers inside and the whole front polished.

Everything apart for the polishing job.

A lot of cables, relocated the connectors. They are now under the tank, the small headlight didn't have the space for them. Split to the left and right side of the frame for the corresponding controls. Also relocated the brake hose joint so that the brake hose stays on the back of the lower bracket. A lot of work, but it keeps the front nice and clean.
Made also a polished stainless cover for the lower bracket plate.

Nice and clean, even the braided cable are symmetric.

The completed Bike.
Not the best picture, but I forgot to make a few when the project was finished.

New braided cables and a new headlight with Xenon.

Last edited by Knutselsmurf; 01-14-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Forgot a part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Wow! That's some nice work. Love the mods.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 06:43 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

That is a lot of nice custom fab work. Looks good. Not my riding style, but I can totally appreciate the hard work and craftsmanship that went in it.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Your right, not my style either. But the client,s wish is my command. And lucky enough he knows exactly what he wanted, so there were no disappointments. Not the style, but the quality remains.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 07:52 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knutselsmurf View Post
Your right, not my style either. But the client,s wish is my command. And lucky enough he knows exactly what he wanted, so there were no disappointments. Not the style, but the quality remains.
I can tell you if you were in the states I would have you do custom work on mine.. That looks GREAT!!!!! I want about 6 inches taken out of the rear fender of mine. So far no one in my area wants to touch it.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I want about 6 inches taken out of the rear fender of mine. So far no one in my area wants to touch it.
That's sad! If I here announce that I will do it all I've got lots of work. For me its a hobby, so my price's are very low. That's why I pic my jobs for the challenge or time that I want to spend. Specially in wintertime.
I also love to ride en go for long holidays and I've a lot of other hobby,s. That"s what retired is all about.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 AM
KCW

Garage
I cut the fenders down on a 1969 VW bug many years ago with one of those old can openers. Not the ones with the wheels and geared turn handle, the one with no moving parts.

I guess on the spectrum we are opposites - nicely done!

Getting paid to work on someone else's motorcycle, is like getting paid to sleep with someone's wife.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 09:44 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I cut the fenders down on a 1969 VW bug many years ago with one of those old can openers. Not the ones with the wheels and geared turn handle, the one with no moving parts.

I guess on the spectrum we are opposites - nicely done!

Getting paid to work on someone else's motorcycle, is like getting paid to sleep with someone's wife.
When it comes to cutting and shaping the metal I really have to let someone who knows what they are doing have at it. Bolting, wiring, gluing, or other means of attaching parts or removing parts is my dept. There are times when experience and having the proper tools wins out over my pride. LOL
KCW, KCW, Brad_G and 1 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode