Seat Removal for Road Star - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Seat Removal for Road Star

On my bike, I am having trouble removing the driver's seat. I am following the directions that are in the owner's manual.
Quote:
To remove the rider seat
1. Insert the key into the main switch,
and then turn it counterclockwise
to “OPEN”.
_
NOTE: Do not push inward when turning the key.
_
2. Pull the rider seat off.
It doesn't want to come off. Am I not turning hard enough to the "left" (counterclockwise) ?

Model - 2000 Road Star

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:43 PM

You should feel a little resistance on the key as it turns (to feel the pull of the cable). Sometimes I wiggle my seat just a little to make sure there's no pressure on the latch itself. It's basically the same style of latch you'd have on hood/trunk of your car.

Once off a little silicone spray may be in order if the latch is sticky. Some folks have taken the latch and drilled a small hole and attached a short steel fishing leader to the release arm so you can reach under the tank and release the seat in the event of they key lock cable failing.
Scrumdown and Scrumdown like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Guess ... I need to turn counterclockwise a little harder.

Do I pull up from the front or the rear of the seat?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 03:22 PM

Well just be mindful of the strength of the key. Wouldn't want you to break something. Might wiggle the key a bit as well. Pushing down should allow it to turn to lock the handle bars. So don't want to push the key down too much but maybe a tad trying to get the lock to work.

If it's the stock seat/mount you should be able to lift up on the front. There is a tab on the back of the seat that slips into a bracket to hold the back down. The previous owner of my but put a Mustang seat on it and my rider seat bolts at the back. So I have to take the passenger pillion seat off first to get to that bolt before unlocking the front. Not ideal but it is what it is. I assume it's for the solo look if I wanted to leave the passenger seat off.
Scrumdown and Scrumdown like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 04:01 PM

Garage
depending on what was done under the seat ie tuner.. radio wires..tool kit .. you might have to push down on the front of the seat as you turn the key.. if the latch is tight something might be pressing up on the seat locking the latch from releasing.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I made a free moment after working all day. Watching my daughter sing a solo a chorus gig at school. Then eating dinner.

So I was able to get the seat off. I just hadn't turned the key enough.

Thank you!
Mrdub, Mrdub, Brad_G and 1 others like this.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 11:06 AM

I had the misery of not being able to get my seat off. I'm not impressed with the design. Be very certain not to put anything under the seat that puts pressure on the latch. A second pair of gloves, not nesting the tools in the pouch to be as flat as possible! If you keep a cloth under there for checking oil, be sure it is tucked out of the way so as not to be compressed when you put the seat back on!
With various pictures from the internet I was able to figure out how to bend a stiff wire hook and how to use it to release the seat. Bent the release arm as well. A tech at the dealership suggested one trick is to whack the seat and with a well timed twist of the key.... Needless to say that didn't work for me. Put a nice bend in my key. I made sure to lube the cable and latch and kept my made up wire hook. There is only the slimmest of slot to get the hook into.
Brad_G and Brad_G like this.

David
2009 Roadstar Silverado S
2015 FJR ABS
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 04:29 PM

I was having the same problem then I read on the clinic someone turned the key twice and it has worked every time for me.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone08 View Post
I was having the same problem then I read on the clinic someone turned the key twice and it has worked every time for me.
I've tried everything and it still isn't bulging lol

Mine has the Mustang seat, removed back seat to make sure its not bolted down and its not - I can feel it locked in and seems loose just won't brake loose

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:09 PM

I sold my Roadstar, just looked through to see if I had any pictures of the seat latch. Didn't find any I was pretty peeved when I couldn't get mine off. You can't check your oil if you can't get the seat off! I found pictures of the latch on the internet and from that figured out how I could get more leverage with a hook. There is a sort of slot you can access from the engine side. You need a good stiff wire not too thick. You have to pull the latch arm towards the kickstand side of the bike. Some rapping on the seat while pulling then might release the seat.
Depending on your seat you might be able to access the bolts that hold the latch to the frame. I was able to get the seat to lift enough to get a box wrench on the bolts.
If there is any tension on the latch from the seat the release will not budge. https://www.google.ca/search?q=yamah...J4BrYBD4aCN0M:

Hope you get some success with it.

David
2009 Roadstar Silverado S
2015 FJR ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in