Rear wheel locked up - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear wheel locked up

I have a 1600 Midnight Star, and I took it for a moderate little ride today, a couple hundred miles round trip. I was almost home, winding my way through miles and miles of windy foothill roads, and the rear wheel locked up on me. I had to use a cherry picker to lift the rear end and get it on the trailer to get it home. So when I got home I did a little research, and it looks like the cush needle bearing is the most likely culprit. The bike has about 47,000 miles on it, so my question is this, should I change all the bearings right now, which I can't really afford, or would it be safe to just change the bearing that froze up and leave the others in place until I can better afford it(there are 4 other bearing in the rear wheel alone). The others are sealed ball bearings I believe, and don't seem to go out as often as the needle bearings. Any thoughts? I'll be tearing it down in the morning, provided nothing else pops up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:04 AM

Garage
I can’t be much help but when it comes to removing real wheels etc. I would wait and replace all bearings to be on the “safe” side. Having said that I know something will go wrong on my bike now as I just had my rear tire off to replace the rubber. But how long will you have to be off it to save? That is another factor. Seven days without a ride makes one weak!!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
If I have to get all the bearings it'll be out for the season, money is pretty tight right now. I've been relying pretty heavily on it to save gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:01 AM

Garage
Pull the remaining bearings, clean and inspect. If they are bad you will feel roughness when you spin them, possible blue in color due to running hot or pitted. If they look good I would reuse with confidence. Keep us up to date on results.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, I'll go ahead and do that. I'm worried that the axle bolt might have to be cut out. I'll see what kind of damage there is, it may be down for the season anyways, between seals and collars, bearings and that bolt. Thanks again for replying you two.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 07:56 PM
KCW

Garage
isnt the 1600 a belt drive?

Im having a hard time seeing how there could be more than two bearings on a belt or chain drive rear wheel.

with a shaft drive I understand there are bearings on each side of the wheel and bearings in the final drive assemble.

Been out riding all day and too tired to look it all up now, but you got me curious.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
isnt the 1600 a belt drive?

Im having a hard time seeing how there could be more than two bearings on a belt or chain drive rear wheel.

with a shaft drive I understand there are bearings on each side of the wheel and bearings in the final drive assemble.

Been out riding all day and too tired to look it all up now, but you got me curious.
4 bearings on the belt bikes. The rear wheel pulley has 2 sealed needle bearings which are known to fail due to over tight belts. Then the heat takes out the 2 main wheel bearings.
KCW likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: I finally got around to pulling that wheel off, and it wasn't as bad as I expected, I managed to save the axle bolt. It was too hot to do much outside today, but I'll get back to it in the morning hopefully, and should have a partslist soon. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to just order the needle bearing and have this thing back on the road sometime next month. Downside, no matter what I'm gonna be on foot on my birthday, and I was really hoping to get out on the road. I'll keep you all posted.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Martinez View Post
... so my question is this, should I change all the bearings right now, which I can't really afford, or would it be safe to just change the bearing that froze up and leave the others in place until I can better afford it(there are 4 other bearing in the rear wheel alone)...
Why not remove the bearings, pull the seals, clean and repack them? Sealed bearings aren't necessarily disposable items and can last indefinitely if they are regularly maintained.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, bad news, its not the bearings. I got the bearing puller and snap ring pliers I was going to need and was about to pull the bearings. I decided to check first to make sure I know which were bad, and they are all spinning free. I turned the ignition on to make sure it was in neutral and tried to turn the belt by hand, the tranny is stuck. I'm not even remotely qualified to rebuild the tranny on this thing, I'm gonna have to find a new bike. Damn it! On the other hand, it was a $500 bike that got me around for about 5 months of great riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode