Question about exhaust pipes - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By Al Jones
  • 1 Post By Al Jones
  • 2 Post By Al Jones
  • 1 Post By road_slug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Question about exhaust pipes

I have a set of Cobra straight pipes on my Roadie now that are showing there age. I want to go back to the original pipes. A friend of mine bought a new 2002 Road Star and had after market pipes put on before he picked it up. He kept the original pipes for all these years. I told him I was going to try to find some original pipes on ebay and that's when he told me he had some in his attic I could have for free. They look like NEW.

Now to the question. I tried to mount these 2002 pipes on my 2000 Road Star, but I could hot get the headers to mate up to the exhaust ports on the motor. I thought the pipes were the same from 99 through 2003. Am I wrong or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks

Al Jones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:46 PM

Garage
99-03 should match right up, so it doesn't make sense. Maybe the shop gave him back the wrong pipes....perhaps from a V Star.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mystery Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by afaycasaym View Post
99-03 should match right up, so it doesn't make sense. Maybe the shop gave him back the wrong pipes....perhaps from a V Star.
Okay you are right. This is what happened, After working on the bike from about 8PM to 6AM with the stator replacement the pipes were the last thing I tried. When I picked them up form my friend They were in one piece. Being tired (I insist on sticking with the tired thing) I just picked up the pipes and set the back of the pipes on the bracket and then tried to set the headers. It did not occur to me to loosen the pipe clamps. Did I mention I was very, very tired....lol. I've put many set of different types of pipes on bikes, so I should have picked up on that. Anyway thinking like you that they may have given him the wrong pipes, I went down to my shop today to get the model number off the pipes to do a google search. Some pictures popped up and one picture was of just the pipes without the header pipes on them, well as soon as I saw that picture I just started laughing. Oh, did I mention I'm 68 years old and I spend a lot of time looking for tools that I just had in my hand a few minutes ago, thus working all night.

Cheers

Al Jones
bevo1981, Elk and lesblank like this.

Last edited by Al Jones; 08-25-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:38 PM
KCW

Garage
Ive had many good times spent working on something, usually something new that I was trying to figure out and understand, and looked out the window and WTH?! the sun is coming up!

Staying up all night and not realizing it is pretty cool.

Sometimes I get so involved in something I cant remember what day it is, where I parked my car...

I have to stop and think for a minute then it comes back.

its not forgetfulness, its pushing the unimportant things aside while your brain is 100% on one problem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Pipes are on, waiting for bags and different air cleaner. The air cleaner on it now sticks out too far, makes me walk bowlegged after a few hrs.

Al Jones
KCW likes this.

Last edited by Al Jones; 08-02-2018 at 10:42 PM. Reason: adding picture
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

with the new stock pipes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000 Roadie with new stock pipes.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	81702  
bevo1981 and KCW like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 AM
KCW

Garage
you are getting rid of that hypercharger air intake?

from what i have read here they are impossible to jet for both low speed and running WFO on the interstate.

If you make a big change to the air intake you are going to have to change the jet in the carb to match your intake and exhaust. The bike could be running rich when you put the new air filter on.

Last edited by KCW; 08-03-2018 at 07:42 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
you are getting rid of that hypercharger air intake?

from what i have read here they are impossible to jet for both low speed and running WFO on the interstate.

If you make a big change to the air intake you are going to have to change the jet in the carb to match your intake and exhaust. The bike could be running rich when you put the new air filter on.
Yep. I have supercharger and cobras on mine. You should reject. Pull the plugs and read them.
KCW likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 08:15 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_slug View Post
..You should reject. ..
You should re-jet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode