Road Star questons
I have just purchased a new to me 2012 Road Star, with only 3500 miles. Mechanically, the bike is completely stock. This is the largest displacement bike I have ever owned, and I have several questions (that have probably been asked 1000''s of times before). Thank you in advance for any replies.
1. Fuel octane. This is always a topic that seems to be confusing to me. I can't find much on searches about the recommended octane on the fuel injected models. Carb models can apparently run 87 just fine instead of the minimum of 91. I am wondering if I can do the same.
2. Handlebar risers. I have never had to install risers on any bike, so this will be my first. I just need the bars brought back to me about and inch or so, and I do not want to have to change out all the cables. Will any risers fit any bike, or do I need to look at model specific risers? Also these handlebars are rubber mounted, will I lose that feature if I change risers?
3. Luggage Rack. I have seen many luggage racks on many bikes, but the one on this bike is at an upward slanted angle. Is that the norm? I've only ever seen flat (horizontal) racks before. Why is it slanted? Is it designed like that to help keep a tour bag in place?
4. Stock exhaust. I have read about a stage one mod for the stock mufflers, basically drilling 4 holes in the end of both pipes. This is very popular among the v star 650 world, but is this safe on the Roadie?
5. Owners manual. If anyone can tell me where to download a free pdf of this bikes owners manual, without having to join this or do that, I would greatly appreciate it.
6. Tires. I am a short fellow, and I was wondering what the best rear tire size would be to lower the back end about a half an inch. I can get a flat foot down on level surfaces, but just barely. Unlevel surfaces are a bit scary, but if I can get the bike down another half inch I believe I would be fine.
Any and all information is appreciated. These questions are probably "same old crap, different day" to most of you, but I was raised to believe the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. This bike is fantastic, I have only had it for 2 days, and even with work, I have put over 200 miles on it. It is a wonderful bike, now i just have to tweak it for me. Thanks guys.
I don't have to have fast, I just have to have fun!