Road Star Clutch issue or something more - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:23 PM
KCW

Garage
I think I have the Road Star factory service manual on this computer - I was able to find the free PDF download version when I was thinking of getting a Road Star last fall

if you trace the clutch cable down to the engine, usually there is a lever there. If you push it in the direction the cable will pull it there should be a little bit of free play until you feel it hit the throwout bearing, then it gets really hard to move it any further, because you will be compressing the clutch spring.

If you cant feel any free play, then loosen up the lock nut at that end, the loosen up the knurled bolt the cable goes thru until you get a bit of free play, then tighten up the lock nut snug.

There is usually the same set of adjustments at the handlegrip lever, but with less adjustment range. Its possible to max it out in one direction on the grip end, that is why its adjustable at both ends.

On some bikes you have to adjust both ends, but I dont understand why that is.

You can get the operators manual for all Vstar bikes for free, because they are free anyway. The clutch adjustment should be in the owners manual, and the service manual PDF online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:35 PM
KCW

Garage
I just looked, I only have the owners manual for Road Star

its says to loosen the adjustment at the grip-lever end first to get more freeplay. If you cant get enough adjustment at that point, there is an inline adjustment half way down the cable (about level with the cyllinder head) - there is no lever down at the engine end, apparently the cable goes straight into the engine block.

But its the same idea, when you push the clutch lever at the grip with your fingertip, it should move very easy (freeplay or slop) until you feel it hit the throwout bearing in the clutch, then it gets harder to push further. That freeplay should be at least 1/4" at the end of the lever as it moves.

If there is no freeplay, that is why your clutch is slipping.

Les is also correct, if you used a car motor oil with modified mpg enhancers (more slippery than standard oil) that will also make your clutch slip, because a motorcycle clutch is in the oil bath.

there way to tell if oil is ok for a motorcycle, look at the SAE lollypop logo on the bottle, the bottom half of the outer circle must be blank. Google this if its not clear.
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 05-19-2019 at 03:39 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:40 PM

Garage
Here's screen shot of repair manual, down load free one if you don't have one. I would try this first. Looks really easy. It's easier than my 1100.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:45 PM

Garage
KCW, we make a pretty good team. you do the typing and I do the pictures within minutes of each other. We have done this several times in the past. Pretty cool, like minds.
KCW likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

Last edited by lesblank; 05-19-2019 at 03:09 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You Gents are Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
KCW, we make a pretty good team. you do the typing and I do the pictures. We have done this several times in the past. Pretty cool, like minds.
lesblank likes this.

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Guys, I was able to use the knowledge and diagram you both provided to tighten up the clutch and after a 4 hour ride yesterday I would say it's fixed.

I don't know who is Robin or Batman but you are both Heros lol

Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
KCW, we make a pretty good team. you do the typing and I do the pictures within minutes of each other. We have done this several times in the past. Pretty cool, like minds.
lesblank likes this.

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:12 AM
KCW

Garage
I think you intended to say "adjust the clutch" and again its weird because the clutch lever works backwards, when you pull the lever it un-clutches the engine from the transmission. When the cable is loose the clutch is tight.

to be clear, you now have some "slop" on the lever when you are not pulling it, now you can wiggle the lever end in and out freely a bit, yes?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltWarrior View Post

I don't know who is Robin or Batman but you are both Heros lol

Thanks !
I'm short so I guess I'm Robin. 😂

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode