Road Star Clutch issue or something more - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AsphaltWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 156
Garage
Road Star Clutch issue or something more

Quick question Gents

Riding today and on the way back home I notice what felt like my Road Star was slipping when accelerating. This was only occurring in top gear when I was trying to go around a car or suddenly speeding up. While taking off at lights etc I never had any issues.

1 - could this be the clutch even though I'm already geared out ?

2 - any chance I could adjust clutch and correct it ?

I don't mind doing a clutch repair however not sure I want to do any type of engine repair

Thanks Gents

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO

Last edited by AsphaltWarrior; 05-19-2019 at 01:58 AM.
AsphaltWarrior is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:11 AM
KCW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4,949
Garage
the clutch usually starts to slip in the highest gear because that is when the clutch has the most load on it

the clutch is between the engine and transmission, so in 1st gear there is less load (torque) on it compared to 5th gear.

If a clutch with a cable is not properly adjusted it will slip when there is no more free play. I dont remember if the Road Star has a hydraulic clutch, they are not usually adjustable.
KCW is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Georgia
Posts: 12
More info what year is the bike how many miles are on it.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Just cause you look dumb, Don't mean your not.
ItBeMe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AsphaltWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 156
Garage
2005 about 43k

Never any issues up to this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBeMe View Post
More info what year is the bike how many miles are on it.

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
AsphaltWarrior is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:24 PM
KCW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4,949
Garage
Road Star bikes have a clutch cable (not hydraulic link) so... yes they do need to be adjusted to maintain the freeplay as the clutch plate thickness slowly wears down

as the clutch wears the point on the grip lever where the throwout bearing contacts the clutch plate moves further and further away from the rider (outwards). If you dont keep adjusting the freeplay back in eventually the clutch will slip

think of it like this - the clutch grabs backwards from you grabbing the lever - when you grab the level the plate un-grabs the clutch plate. As the clutch wears thinner it has to 'un grab' the plate further away from you, which means the clutch level in your hand has to go further out.

Dont think about it too long or blood will start gushing out of your nose. Its hard to visualize because its the opposite of what you are doing with the lever in your hand.
lesblank likes this.
KCW is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AsphaltWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 156
Garage
Great stuff ! As usual KCW


Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Road Star bikes have a clutch cable (not hydraulic link) so... yes they do need to be adjusted to maintain the freeplay as the clutch plate thickness slowly wears down

as the clutch wears the point on the grip lever where the throwout bearing contacts the clutch plate moves further and further away from the rider (outwards). If you dont keep adjusting the freeplay back in eventually the clutch will slip

think of it like this - the clutch grabs backwards from you grabbing the lever - when you grab the level the plate un-grabs the clutch plate. As the clutch wears thinner it has to 'un grab' the plate further away from you, which means the clutch level in your hand has to go further out.

Dont think about it too long or blood will start gushing out of your nose. Its hard to visualize because its the opposite of what you are doing with the lever in your hand.

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
AsphaltWarrior is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:45 PM
KCW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4,949
Garage
Its a fairly simple adjustment - on some bikes you loosen the cable down on the engine end to get more freeplay, on others it up by the grip

its a good time to make sure the cable slips freely, then lube it anyway with white lithium spray. I forgot to mention that, if the cable is hanging up that will keep it from grabbing fully and cause it to slip.
lesblank likes this.
KCW is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AsphaltWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 156
Garage
So you think I should start with the clutch handle adjustment first ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Its a fairly simple adjustment - on some bikes you loosen the cable down on the engine end to get more freeplay, on others it up by the grip

its a good time to make sure the cable slips freely, then lube it anyway with white lithium spray. I forgot to mention that, if the cable is hanging up that will keep it from grabbing fully and cause it to slip.

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
AsphaltWarrior is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:05 PM
Moderator
 
lesblank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,734
Garage
Another thought, have you recently changed oil, if so different brand or weight. I always had used Mobil 1 20w-50 full synthetic motorcycle oil, bought some Valvoline Motorcycle 20w-50 that was on sale. I had same issue you are having. I adjusted cable and it did get better. At next oil change went back to Mobil 1 and issue went away. Most will say it was coincidence, but the slipping clutch in fifth gear went away and never came back.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
lesblank is online now  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AsphaltWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 156
Garage
I only use Mobile 1 20/50 however I did check it about two weeks ago and it wasn't full but oil looked like new so I was going to wait and change it.

I did 4qts, 3 first and then started bike so it would suck down the 4th, never went back and actually checked it as you have to ride and then pull seat off - sounds like my ass was just lazy after typing this out lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Another thought, have you recently changed oil, if so different brand or weight. I always had used Mobil 1 20w-50 full synthetic motorcycle oil, bought some Valvoline Motorcycle 20w-50 that was on sale. I had same issue you are having. I adjusted cable and it did get better. At next oil change went back to Mobil 1 and issue went away. Most will say it was coincidence, but the slipping clutch in fifth gear went away and never came back.

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
AsphaltWarrior is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
more progressive clutch levers chedobean Motorcycle Modifications 19 09-17-2017 10:05 AM
V Star 950 clutch/frame issue bevo1981 V Star 9 09-27-2015 09:44 AM
Clutch cable stretched out so much, i suddenly couldn't take off any more Kyle76 V Star 2 09-04-2014 05:42 PM
Seeking purchase advise: V Star Custom, or something else? TriciaJD New Member Introductions 5 05-19-2014 08:16 PM
More chrome, more leather and more... MacVstar1100 V Star 13 05-07-2012 09:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome