Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Must have accessories

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Deeksvstarclassic 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2002 Yamaha Roadstar 1600. Me and my wife love this bike. It is our first V-Twin belt drive bike. I was wondering if there are any must have accessories such as an oil cooler or what most people have found makes it a more enjoyable ride.Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

#2 ·
A lot of people love windshields. Saddle bags, or at least a belly bag to keep a few items in. A headset, nice to have a little background music...maybe even pass a little info back and forth while on a trip. Then just let your imagination run wild....engine guard/highway bars, risers/handlebars to make it fit you, different seats....and Welcome to the group.

#3 · (Edited)
engine guard / crash bar

<= Ursa had one when I bought her - was doing a very slow U turn under stressful conditions and blew it - bike was on its side before I realized what was happening (I was not looking where I wanted the bike to go)

no damage to Ursa or to my leg, which was under the 670 lb machine

you can horse around a smaller bike, but these big machines can get away from you really easy

2nd would be, if you are going to ride any distance solo, get a drivers backrest - totally changes the feel and sense of security on a motorcycle. If you are riding 2 up get one for the passenger.

Reactions: dotshouse
#6 ·
Did the same thing with my 1800VTX. Didn't go down to the bags. Held her up somehow. Was over far enough for the injection to shut it off. My wife said what should i do i said get off. She did and i still have the hernia. Now those young kids can understand why i downsized to the 1100 classic.

#5 ·
All good suggestions, a throttle assist would be a great addition on longer rides.

Reactions: dotshouse
#7 · (Edited)
A LED headlight with a modulator is a great safety addition along with a BAD BOY horn. I love to scare the crap out of distracted drivers when they start creeping cross the line. Bud the modulator reduces the fun since it warns them of your presence way in advance. I notice the use of my horn was significantly reduced once I installed the modulator.
Also, a windshield is a must. It will keep road debris from your face and allow your grip to relax because not having to fight the wind pushing you back.
I have a few parts left from my 3 Roadstars, including a very nice OEM windshield among other things.
Check out my CL ad and let me know if you are interested.
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mpo/d/saint-petersburg-yamaha-roadstar/6875936648.html

Safe Riding!

#9 ·
Probably the least expensive, and maybe best built, thing Kuryakyn sells is their "Universal Throttle Boss" under $15; comes in two sizes. Wrap 50% on the grip, 50% on the bar end and it's both a rest and a "cruise-control" - you must be comfortable learning to roll back the throttle...I have had two in 15 years...I replaced the first one only because "some body" must'a needed mine, real bad....I am certain it's still working for them...

A hard wired, fused, battery tender connector, especially if you have anything extra that drws power, like a radio clock...

I bent a key once, unlocking the seat. I now carry an extra in the ziplock with my reg. and ins. card. I also created a pull tab at the seat lock with a zip-tie and a short piece of bailing wire... now I don't need to use my key to unlock the seat on my Road*, I just reach under the seat. I pulled the tank and inspected that cable; lubed it; worked it...finally realized the farm-boy fix was easier, cheaper, and works better than stock. Just wear your gloves or be sure you don't touch the back of the rear cylinder head... :-(
Welcome and enjoy! I love it here...especially at "work"!

#10 ·
My favorite mods in order (on a 2008 Roadliner):

1. Ultimate Seat w/ backrest
2. Memphis Shades windshield AND fork deflectors (neither helps much without the other)
3. Cobra crash bars and Kury highway pegs
4. Kury grips w/ throttle assist
5. Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
6. Saddlemen sissy bar bag
7. Beadrider seat cover
8. Memphis shades windshield bag

#12 ·
External (handlebar setup) must have volume turned way up when traveling at highway speeds due to wind and possibly exhaust noise. I've used a Bluetooth setup for streaming music from phone and communication with passenger. Works very good and only you and passenger are hearing the music, not every one on the road beside you. I used the Uclear brand and they worked very good. They are over 5 years old and only issue I've had is the battery life has recently reduced to about 6 hours. Many people here use different brands of Bluetooth and if you are interested here's a few good threads comparing Bluetooth and external music.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/11-general-bike-talk/116116-sound-bar-bluetooth-headset.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/11-general-bike-talk/114070-communications.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/90690-sound-system.html

#13 ·
Oil cooler is an excellent add on for the engine and you. The 1600/1700 engine is pretty much bullet proof as long as you do your part. oil changes on time.
Amsoil or Mobil 1 with high zinc count. There's a lot road star's with over 100,000 miles that still run like new.
As for comfort I would look into a fairing At least a Memphis shades Batwing.
I have the Z1R seat on my Roadie and after it broke in Its really comfortable. 500 miles no problem.
KentB recommended the Brake away throttle lock and I have to agree. Road trips are a lot better because of it.
Just installed one on my new project Stratoliner S.

#14 ·
I did the Wide Open Customs fairing with the radio, speakers, wind deflectors, and powered antenna...I have been very happy with it and with my perception of the value-cost over the Hoppes or Memphis Shade. I painted it (and sanded, painted, sanded, clear-coated) myself, so the bill was just under $1100. I also made my own bracket to join the Yamaha windshield mount to the W.O.C. bracket, rather than to purchase the additional kit. If you check them out and decide you want to go that way, I'll post some pics.... no relationship, no kickbacks, just my experience.

#16 ·
Tunes would be nice, but I'm not a fan of external speakers. I could do the earbud thing but then I'd need a full face helmet, Bluetooth device, a phone with more storage, etc, etc ... way too much of a headache.

#17 ·
Might not be the time to think about it now but a battery tender is a nice device especially if storing for a while. There are other accessories that you can get for the battery tender umbilical such as a USB charger. It does come in handy if your phone is chewing thru the battery because you took one too many twisty's and are lost...

#18 ·
With my handlebar speakers it came with a usb charger. The speakers were on the bike when i got it outlived their usefulness. I just ordered another exact pyle audio system $39 waiting for delivery from amazon. Matched with 8gig mp3 player form walmart $13.
On my old vtx i had a memphis shades windshield and the black gradation faded to blue. The bike was uranium green and it looked stupid. So i got testors transparent emerald green spray paint and painted the inside and it worked great to hide the blue. Yet it was still see thru.
I have been known to have the top of the line of the cheap stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.