Shift Problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Shift Problem

Hey Guys, been a while since I've been here, but it's been a busy summer. Anyway, I last rode my buddy's 2000 Silverado edition bike about 6 weeks ago and it rode and shifted fine. I tried to ride it a couple of days ago and I can't get it to shift correctly. I take off in first and it won't shift into second gear. When I put my heel on the shift lever, it feels like it's going into 4th or 5th gear. I'm not a motorcycle mechanic, but am an old retired pipe-fitter with years of automotive mechanics experience. Is there a simple clutch adjustment or something I can check on this bike? I talked to my buddy about it and he said not to worry about it, that he'll just take it to a shop when he gets here in December. I'd really like to fix it for him to avoid him going to that expense. I spent several hours straightening out various accessory pieces that were bent on this bike when his wife ditched it back in April. I have it looking pretty good, but can't ride it right now because of the shift problem. Any and all suggestions will be considered and appreciated. I'd still like to get it sold for him before he comes back and sinks more money into it. That way, I can still collect my 10% commission. LOL
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:21 AM
KCW

Garage
look at the clutch lever on the handlebar

when you wiggle it with your finger tips there should be about 1/4" of free play, where the lever moves without pulling the clutch cable at all.

If you have no free play then the clutch is not fully engaging when you release it, which will cause the clutch to slip under power (which is not the problem you are having)

If there is a lot of freeplay, an inch or more, the clutch may not be disengaging when you pull it in, which will make the engine still pull on the drive shaft when you try to shift (not letting go) and that will make a motorbike hard to shift - its like you are shifting and not using the clutch at all.

If the bike seems to be shifting from 1st all the way to 4th as you described something else is going on. Look at the shift lever from the toe shifter, see if things look bent or mashed.

The other thing to check is the oil level in the engine - if the case was cracked it possible all the oil leaked out while riding, and the transmission uses the same oil as the engine.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:35 AM

Garage
Look at joint labeled 27 and 28. This is a splinded fitting and sometimes it will rotate not allowing correct gear change.

KCW and Deeksvstarclassic like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:41 AM

Garage
Would it be a good idea to change the oil, to see if there is any metal in the oil?
I know the 2000 RS Silverado is a wet clutch, using engine oil.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!
KCW and Deeksvstarclassic like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. I will check the clutch adjustment and shift lever. I can't check the oil in this bike because I can't get the frigging seat off! I've tried every suggestion I've found hear and on youtube and NOTHING I've tried has worked. John had to take it to a shop last year just to get the oil changed because he couldn't get the seat off either. I've talked to two other guys that ride the same bikes and they both said the seats are a royal pain to get off. Sometimes the release works and sometimes it doesn't. It NEVER had for me and I've tried 30 or 40 times at least. Can I remove the gas tank with the seat on and rig a pin release of some type?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:52 AM
KCW

Garage
if you cant check the oil and you cant find a problem with the linkage on the shifter then dont ride the bike

if there is no oil in the crankcase that would be a cause of transmission shifting problems, and it will also destroy the engine when the oil pump starts sucking air.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:55 AM

Garage
I have the same year&model. I'll try to look when I get home any suggestions to remove the seat and anything else about the shifter.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

The bike starts just fine and there's no signs of any leaks on the garage floor. I won't ride it anymore if I can't get the clutch adjusted. It's really aggravating not being able to get the seat off to check the oil. This looks like an obvious design flaw to me because there are so many youtube videos about it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:37 PM

What is your procedure to remove the seat? Might help us to understand. These seats can be a challenge.

I know the first time I took it off I fought it a bit. Now I take it off whenever I clean the bike and it's been easy enough. I twist the key left gently. Don't push down as that works the fork lock mechanism and not the seat release. Then I use the heal of my hand and push down on the front of the seat to release. May do that a couple times while holding the key turned. Maybe take your fist like a hammer and bounce the front of the seat a couple times. Once the seat is off make sure to get some lube on the latch and cable. Work it a little with the seat off so you can watch it. Latch it with your finger and then unlock with the key to make sure it's working smoothly.

Is this a stock seat? I have a Mustang seat. If it's not stock maybe the locking loop on the seat is a bit too short and putting pressure against the latch causing it to be hard to get off. That might require a bit more downward force on the front of the seat to relieve tension.
KCW likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Hey Brad, I've tried turning the key counter clockwise and feeling the resistance in it and pulling up the front of the seat. Doesn't work. I've tried pushing down on the seat while turning the key. Doesn't work. I've tried a couple of fist hits while feeling resistance in the key. Doesn't work. It's a Millennia Edition with Silverado accessories, if that makes any difference. It has been pouring down rain all afternoon and I have a doctors appointment tomorrow morning. I HOPE to get to the bike and start trying some of the ideas you guys have presented sometime tomorrow afternoon.
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in