Road Star Silerado Owners Club - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to ChainSaw
Talking Road Star Silerado Owners Club

a thread for all Road Star owners that are non-fuel injected!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 05:43 PM

I would like more info on the Road Star club. Thanks.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 AM

I have a 2000 1600 Silverado. When trying to start for the first time of the day in cold weather, it is hard to start. I am cranking for a couple of minutes until the first rumble..then it's fine for the rest of the day. Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:43 PM

Cold start

Edge,
My Liner does that to a less extent first start of the season. My theory, well a guess, The oil has drained down, bike and battery are cold. A V Twin compresses half its displacement as it comes up. Between all these its a big job for the battery. The battery voltage can be pulled down to the point that the electronis ignition does not work. As oil gets circulated around and things get moving the battery comes back a little and it fires. My Liner actually reset the Trip meter and clock first start last year. But, it did start.

My solution a trouble light hanging on the frame under the engine on cold nights and a battery tender.

Dave
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 PM

Thanks, makes sense.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:13 PM

Cold starting

Try this: In cold weather, turn your headlight on a bit, maybe 30 sec to a minute before you crank, I think you will see a difference providing you have a good battery to start with, it gets things going in the battery and warms it a bit, thus more crankin power, has worked for me for years. Also if your trk or car sit outside, same thing.

Ride Safe, Live Long

Last edited by Sugar Bear; 02-25-2010 at 05:55 AM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the tip on the headlight. Had the same problem this weekend. Went camping and thought as the weather was going to be nice I'd take the Silverado along and go for a spin on Sat. Well, it was about 5-9C until about 11:30 am and by that time my battery was run down so that I had to leave it on the tender to bring it back up( didnt' bring a full charger with me) and it was after noon by the time we left for a ride. Next time I'll make sure to tender overnight and try the headlights on for a few minuete first.
In addition to that, I had heard that the starter motor on the RS Silverado wasn't a particularly high output one and installing a Warrior starter would also help the hard to start in the cold problem. Any comments?
Thanks again
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainSaw View Post
a thread for all Road Star owners that are non-fuel injected!
I'll join
I have a 05 Road Star Silverado 1700 with one big carb. No FI here.

I bought it used recently and i love it.

The tips for cold starts in the previous posts should prove to be valuable as well since i like to ride from March to December when possible.

John

Last edited by jdmac; 06-04-2010 at 11:49 PM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:24 AM

Cold starting

Seems I keep reading about this phenomanon more as I visit various forums. I have an 01 Silverado with 20,000+ miles, and when I want to start and push the button, it always fires after probably 2-3 revolutions if not imediatly. Though I would guess that this is the original battery because it seems to crank in a somewhat slugish manner, not bad, but you can tell that it's not as spry as it once must have been. A couple things may contribute to starting on mine, thuss mabe others. The pipes are V&H Longshots and the customary jet kit mod. When I first got the bike the baffles were absent and I found it much noiser than I wanted here in the Small adjasent towns where I visit. I just didn't want issues with police and noise restrictions, so I'd just putt, short shift and always seemed to be in that drone zone where it was as quiet as it could be for the given gear. Wanting to further reduce the decibles of the Longshots, I ordered two 2" x 8" genaric baffles on ebay. What this did beyond taming the bark of the exhaust, was to increase percievably by the seat of the pants, the feeling of acceleration on the TORQUE side of the power. It imediatly pulled with a torquier thrust. Secondarily it made what was a fairly easy starter of a motor, all the easier and quicker to fire. Were talking almost imediate, compared to 2-3 revolutions, even when hot, you know, just off of the blazing freeway hot. As far as the baffles, I'd recomend 16"s of baffel per pipe, mabe weld the two 8"s back to back, but as back presure increases, I'm not sure the effect on torque and starting in relationship to the carb being 'still' dialed in will remain.

Slow awake, Fast asleep.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 AM

hard start

Thanks for the info...what I'm hearing is your situation was during hot starts as well. Mine is only during cold weather and the hotter the bike the better it stars all summer. I do have VH aftermarket pipes though and the idea of more torque at start off is appealing, even though this is the most torque i've had in a bike yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode