Oil cooling - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Cool Oil cooling

Has anyone fitted their 1600 Silverado with an oil cooler? I sometimes commute on mine and I've noticed engine heat on my legs when bumper to bumper for any period of time. Was wondering if a cooler would help and if anyone has experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 PM

cooler

Edge,

I only rode a Roadstar once, but I sure have noticed this on my Stratoliner. I really don't ride much in traffic. I live in a rural area and ride mostly in the country. But on hot days There is plenty of radiant heat from mine and I think any big V Twin. Never owned a water cooled bike but I would imagine they would at least not have as much radiant heat. But they are still plenty hot. Once in 95 deg F traffic stalled on a freeway due to an accident I actually felt slight pain.

As to the oil cooler, my Stratoliner has one. I don't worry about over heating but the cylinder walls will still get plenty hot. I'm sure an oil cooler won't hurt and will cool down the bike some, might even be a good idea. My bet you would still feel plenty of heat. They do pump oil through the cylinder walls to cool the engine and the cooling is oil and air.

Guess I didn't help, but my idea is an oil cooler is a good idea but won't make all that radiant heat go away. We are close to our engine, if your car engine was six inches away it would feel hot.

Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 PM

cooler

Very good, Dave, you are right on. When you are in stopped or very slow traffic, a guy is gonna get a ton of heat no matter what you are runnin, more so than ever in hot weather, the small fans on water cooled, I don't think do one hell of alot, maybe some. Up to speed will do all that can be done, and sometimes the engine is still screamin hot, that's the game. Just my opinon, what I have found to be true.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 AM

I've been contemplating the same thing, I've switched from sportbikes and can say the inlines seem to keep temps down just fine. However the last bike (08 Ducati 1098s - vtwin) had a hard time keep the oil temps down and the water temp...fans on both the oil cooler and radiator did help but only by about 10 degree's, of course this is riding in stop and go traffic in 100 degree weather.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 AM

Cool ....one thing to remember

If your using synthetic oil, the oil will transfer heat rather than diminish it as air/oil cooled bikes typically do. The properties of synthetic are such that they don't act as a cooling medium, rather the oil stays as hot from point a to point z and then another another circulation through the system. But no heat is lost from a to z. Excelent lubrication guality, but so-so heat cooling.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 02:00 PM

oil cooler

i have the barons kit on my 03. Makes about 10 degrees difference in the summer. Well worth it to me.

Chuck
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 05:18 PM

Oil Cooler

I've just installed a 14 fin Jagg on my 05' 1100 silverado and switched to a synthic blend oil. I use an infrared therometer to check the temperature at different parts of the bike. The hottest part is the lower back jug. The temperature, standing still at idle is hotter so I don't think an oil cooler will help much. I haven't had a chance to ride it much to see if the lower rear jug actually runs any cooler but I am guessing it will. Any thoughts out there?

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode