First Impressions on the R* - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

First Impressions on the R*

I picked up the new to me 1999 Roadstar 1600 w/ 7000 miles last week and have put about 300 miles on her to date.

The previous owner installed Vance & Hines Longshot pipes (no baffles) and a Barron Big Air Kit w/ new jets for the carb.

I am in awe of the power of this bike coming from my 650 but am baffled by how hard she is to get going. The tech at the dealer warned me she needed a few to perhaps 7 minutes to warm up especially when cold, but she rides rough even 15 minutes past that.

She hesitates, bucks in low gear, and feels like she might stall at low speeds for far longer than seems "normal" to me. Granted, it's in weather around 35 degrees.

I thought she may have been sitting for long stretches, after all she's averaged 500 miles a year since new and I put 300 more on in a week. I'm adding some seafoam on the next fill up.

Is there any thing else I should be doing, is this typical of the larger bikes, or perhaps a byproduct of the air kit and pipes?

mk

“We already have enough youth, what we what we need is a fountain of smart.” 1999 Road Star Silverado & 2009 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 PM

The seafoam is a good idea. I would also check your plugs to make sure they are up to snuff. Make the next tank of gas premium for sure and I think with a little coaxing she will run like a champ.

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 PM

O yeah, grongrats on the bike. You have come along way up, baby.

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks la ma,

The bike was bought thru a dealer and they assured me they checked her over, changed all fluids, and even replaced the rear tire so I assumed the plugs were good to go.

I'll replace today, add the C-Foam and the next fill-up will be the good stuff.

Yeah, she's a far cry from the 650 for sure.

mk

“We already have enough youth, what we what we need is a fountain of smart.” 1999 Road Star Silverado & 2009 V-Star 650 Classic
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 08:06 AM

Congrats on your Roadie. I'm new to them too and have fallen in love. Carbs, bad gas, plugs, and yes, they take longer to warm up. Also, don't open the throttle when you crank it. Pull the choke, let it start, ease the choke half way down.

Someone mentioned once that these big twins have over 200 pounds of metal to bring up to operating temp. But yours is taking too long. Do what you've already discussed doing and if not, break down the carb.

Oh yeah, be sure your fuel filters are new... very overlooked item. Enjoy your new bike

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Token
Silver/Blue Guy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 AM

I love my R*, and i suspect you will too. When I'm riding my R* I think to myself "wow, this must be what God feels like when he's riding a R*."

Try adjusting the PMS screw under hte intake. Aside from that maybe a carb adjustment. Seems like it's just not dialed in properly.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJay View Post
I love my R*, and i suspect you will too. When I'm riding my R* I think to myself "wow, this must be what God feels like when he's riding a R*."

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

I replaced the plugs, added the seafoam and changed out fuel filter too. My next tank will be the good stuff and we'll see if there's a change.

mk

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJay View Post
When I'm riding my R* I think to myself "wow, this must be what God feels like when he's riding a R*."
that's only because Jesus is always hogging the 950

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode