Fuel Pumpless R* - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Pumpless R*

So I picked up this used 1999 R* with super low millage (7,010 to be exact) and decided to change out the fuel filter and plugs and realized I'm missing my fuel pump.

Here's a shot from the left side of where the pump should be. Wiring is there but no pump... Any concerns?

I've mentioned in a previous post that she ran rough in low gear and took a long time to warm up so I changed out the plugs and fuel filter and may adjust the idle if needed...

mk

We already have enough youth, what we what we need is a fountain of smart. 1999 Road Star Silverado & 2009 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 04:27 PM

Nope, one of hte most popular modifacations you can do. Pumps are problematic to say the last. You've just got one potential headache out of hte way. Also cleans up that side of the engine, makes it look nicer.

I'd be interested in seeing a bigger picture, such as where they mounted the choke. For mine, I took a 1/8" x 1" x 4" steel bar, drilled 2 holes, bent at a right angle, cut a slot in it, and bolted it to the metal piece going across the top between the two jugs, then put the choke in there. Then I tucked the wires up and away, as I'm using hte switched power supply for hte fuel pump for my stereo system.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 PM

Here's mine:

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Hey Jay,

Every day I learn something new on this bike. I was wondering why they would place the choke in such an inaccessible location??? Mine was relocated to the tank bolt. Here are some more pictures of the left side and choke. I'll probably do something like you described and make a relocation mount for her.

I had not thought about using the switched power for something else, perhaps a 12 V power bank for phone charger and gps?

Thanks

mk

We already have enough youth, what we what we need is a fountain of smart. 1999 Road Star Silverado & 2009 V-Star 650 Classic
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 PM

Fuel Pumpless R*

Can you tell for sure if that line is running to the carb? There is a kit that allows for relocation under the right side cover. When I bought mine used the pump was under the seat! We then put it under the right cover. It has since failed so I am pump less too. I love having one less thing to worry about.

I also cut the reflector brackets off the front & used one to relocate the choke. Mine is mounted same place as yours. I like it there actually.

Here's my setup. I bought a $12 filter that is basically a filter for life since it can be taken apart & cleaned. Got it at Advance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

~~~
2000 Road Star Silverado 1600
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Re: Fuel Pumpless R*

Upon closer inspection it really does look to me like the line from the petcock is running up under your tank. Mine ran that way too when it was routed to the pump under the right cover.

~~~
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

YMH - I'll have to take a look under the cover bud, that didn't occur to me. The line runs under the tank to the opposite side where the filter is located in a super hard location for what it's worth. I'll take a look. The power supply wires are loose and where the pump should have been. I tucked them up under the tank as well to clean up the look but my guess would be if the previous owner relocated it he would have used the same power supply but I won't be sure until I check what's under there.

mk

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 PM

Fuel Pumpless R*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
YMH - I'll have to take a look under the cover bud, that didn't occur to me. The line runs under the tank to the opposite side where the filter is located in a super hard location for what it's worth. I'll take a look. The power supply wires are loose and where the pump should have been. I tucked them up under the tank as well to clean up the look but my guess would be if the previous owner relocated it he would have used the same power supply but I won't be sure until I check what's under there.

mk
I didn't see the part about the power supply...hmmmmmmm....

So if there's no pump that looks like a very odd routing of the fuel line.

~~~
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 PM

I've seen routing like that before, it's up over top of the brace that holds the jugs together. I was going to do that but I had my choke up there going down so you pulled it strait down which blocked the passage to run te fuel line up there. However I had to move it because the firm part on the end of the choke stuck up to high and hit the tank.

I have heard of it being relocated, but I've never seen anyone actually do it. They relocate it under the one side cover. You could do that and use a different hot wire, it's easy to tap the fuse box. I don't know why you'd do that though and leave those wires just dangling. people that relocate it are trying to clean it up and make it look nicer, why would you do that and just leave the wires dangling?

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJay View Post
I've seen routing like that before, it's up over top of the brace that holds the jugs together. Why would you do that and just leave the wires dangling?
That's exactly what I was thinking Jay, but I'll check under the cover just the same.

mk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode