Which oil should I use - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Which oil should I use

Historically, I've used Yamalube 10W-40 or 20W-50 in my 2000 Roadstar. I have friends who strongly recommend Amsoil Synthetic, which is very expensive. I all ready own 6 quarts of Castrol Actevo 10W-40 Motorcycle oil. I don't think it's synthetic, but it does say it contains "synthetic active protection molecules". Does anyone have any experience with this Castrol Actevo and would it be a good oil to use in my Roadie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 PM

Oil bath clutch

Rocker,

You probably know the reason manufacturers warn against oil additives and synthetic oil is the wet clutch may slip. There is a broad note in your owners manual.

Here is an article you may want to read. They list a few synthetic oils that have been used. Pay attention to the pictures of the two Seals that may be on the can.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB....htm#Which-Oil

Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker View Post
Historically, I've used Yamalube 10W-40 or 20W-50 in my 2000 Roadstar. I have friends who strongly recommend Amsoil Synthetic, which is very expensive. I all ready own 6 quarts of Castrol Actevo 10W-40 Motorcycle oil. I don't think it's synthetic, but it does say it contains "synthetic active protection molecules". Does anyone have any experience with this Castrol Actevo and would it be a good oil to use in my Roadie?
Since the first oil change, I have used Castrol Actevo 20-50 in my 1100 Silverado that I bought new, I think it says something like "part synthetic" whatever that means in the real world. I like it and believe in it , had some hard, hot runs and it has performed well, I firmly believe the key is keep your oil changed(plus filter) at the proper intervals(or before) whatever you use. Lots of folks have there favorites and swear by there favorites, IMHO, there is not a best, there is what you like and works for you.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. One other question: Both the Yamalube and the Castrol Actevo say they meet JASO T903 on their respective containers. However, the Yamalube says it meets API SJ requirements but the Castrol Actevo says it meets API SG. Should I be concerned about the SJ vs SG?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 PM

SG Oil

Apparently these designators deal with friction reducers. For automobile oils SG oil is obsolete. Still used for motorcycle oils. API is American petroleum Institute.

If you go by the book your bike will probably still last 100,000 miles. The Amsoil salesman told me an air cooled bike will run 15 degrees cooler in the summer on their synthetic oil. The debate will go on for ever. I just decided to use motorcycle oil. $50 to $60 plus an oil filter is a lot of money to change oil yourself.

This From WikiPedia.

The latest API service standard designation is SM for gasoline automobile and light-truck engines. The SM standard refers to a group of laboratory and engine tests, including the latest series for control of high-temperature deposits. Current API service categories include SM, SL and SJ for gasoline engines. All previous service designations are obsolete, although motorcycle oils commonly still use the SF/SG standard.

Dave
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Does the 1100 Silverado have a wet clutch like the Road Star?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear 06 View Post
Since the first oil change, I have used Castrol Actevo 20-50 in my 1100 Silverado that I bought new, I think it says something like "part synthetic" whatever that means in the real world. I like it and believe in it , had some hard, hot runs and it has performed well, I firmly believe the key is keep your oil changed(plus filter) at the proper intervals(or before) whatever you use. Lots of folks have there favorites and swear by there favorites, IMHO, there is not a best, there is what you like and works for you.
Sugar Bear - do you know if your 1100 Silverado has a wet clutch like my Road Star? I'm just a little concerned about potential clutch slippage.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Wet clutch

Rocker,

Yes, your 1100 does have a wet clutch. It is a good clutch you are not likely to have trouble. Some use synthetic oils and addatives without trouble. But do not push your luck. If you use motorcycle oil you should not have trouble.

Dave
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker View Post
Sugar Bear - do you know if your 1100 Silverado has a wet clutch like my Road Star? I'm just a little concerned about potential clutch slippage.
Yes, for sure the Castrol talked about is MC oil, yes wet clutch, no sweat, go for it if you want, it works well.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 AM

Amsoil

I am using Amsoil right now and my clutch is working better and the engine is running better. Previous oil was Mobile One. In either case the clutch never slipped. I now have been using Amsoil in all my vehicles for years now except the V-star. I wish I has started using it sooner. My two cents.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 AM

Just finished changing out the clutch in my 650 V-Star. Other complications resulted, although not for this post. In looking at the clutch plates, there was absolutely no wear and tear on them, so my need to change my slipping clutch was questionable. I suspect that someone before me had used synthetic, and it was slipping due to that, not from being worn out. I'm now using Castrol Actevo per the Yamaha dealership recommendation...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode