is this a decent deal? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

is this a decent deal?

https://www.facebook.com/dan.fraser....type=1&theater

in case the link doesn't work, here's the info on it:

2000 Yamaha (Star) 1600 cc RoadStar Silverado. 20k plus miles, good tires, overall excellent condition. Very dependable & sharp motorcycle. The bike has over 5k in added extra's, and included are some extra parts (take offs) and a full cycle cover.

Some of the extra's: upgraded Ultimate Cruise leather (not vinyl) seats (studded) Yamaha upgrade.
Leather studded high profile back rest (passenger)
Drivers studded backrest
... Leatherman studded saddle bags
Leatherman front fork studded tool bag
Vance & Hines Longshots exhaust....(new factory exhaust included)
Chrome side covers,rectifier cover, billet rear lic. plate bracket, chrome eng. guards.
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/ throttle rocker,ISO foot pegs, brake pedal, shift pegs.
K&N chrome air cleaner w/ filter and Dry charger foul weather cover.
Yamaha halogen driving lights, Baron's billet tachometer.
This motorcycle loves the highway and has a new battery. $5300.00 Belmond, IA

1999 V-Star 1100 Custom with driver backrest, all studded leather (seats, bags, backrests, etc), hole saw exhaust mod (1-7/8" hole bit), windshield, MaxAir Engineering air intake (pod filters with crossover), Jet kit with predator needles (145 and 142.5 main jets and 117.5 pilots), fuel/air mixture thumb screws, Linby Linbar highway bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 AM

I don't see the Silverado listed in Blue Book but between the two models listed for that year 1600cc its showing $3300 to $4000 when purchased from a dealer in excellent condition. Trade in value listing around $2700. So guess it depends if all the add ons are worth it. I'm sure other more knowledgable folks will advise but that's what I noticed on a quick search.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

V Star 650 2013
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/yamah...edretailvalue/

kelly blue book values it at $3700 retail. when reselling bikes, mods and accessories are worth very little, no matter what the seller would like to think. for a 13 year old bike with a lot of miles, i would say that price is too high. i would offer closer to $4K.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

That's why I don't use KBB. Use NADA. They're more realistic. MY thoughts were the fact that its the start of riding season and NADA has it at 3700-5000. And for any bike more than 4 years old, 20k miles is low.

1999 V-Star 1100 Custom with driver backrest, all studded leather (seats, bags, backrests, etc), hole saw exhaust mod (1-7/8" hole bit), windshield, MaxAir Engineering air intake (pod filters with crossover), Jet kit with predator needles (145 and 142.5 main jets and 117.5 pilots), fuel/air mixture thumb screws, Linby Linbar highway bar
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 02:38 PM

I don't use any of that stuff, I use what's for sale around me and how much it costs. That's steep for a 2000, a coworker just bought an 04 with 8k for that much. The only difference I can see is he has no tach and no bags. But your area might be very different. "Pricing and availability subject to change without notice."

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

problem is that this is LITERALLY the first road star ive ever seen for sale in my area (iowa)

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

kelly blue book is to be used as a guide, and i'm confused why NADA would be better if it gives such a large range in value. seems like that kind of defeats the purpose in determining value. agree with fatjay that similar selling bikes in the area help dictate the market value. but 20K miles on any motorcycle engine is not considered low, especially when most bikes you can find for sale just about anywhere usually only have a few thousand miles on them.

i say $5300 is way too much for that bike. talk the guy down if you really want it. find prices of other similar Road Stars and quote those asking prices to this guy. he doesn't have to know if they are nearby or not. just do what you can do haggle that price down.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

i always haggle the price down. to say that 20K is alot of miles tells me that these bike dont last long or you dont treat your bikes very well. here's a few examples: my 98 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 has 55K on it, my mom's 97 Honda Shadow ACE 750 has 152K on it, my buddy's 2000(?) HD Springer Softail has over 200K, and the list goes on and on. ill put over 15K on a bike in a year, so to say that 20K is alot doesnt give me much confidence in either 1) your judgement or 2) the Yamaha brand or 3) the Road Star itself. just my 2 cents. i was just seeing what everyone's thoughts were and why they though the way they did. i will use a few tips i seen here. thanks a bunch

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:24 AM

I don't think 20k miles is a lot for these bikes at all and I didn't read Bevo's comment to mean that.

However, I DO think 20k miles is a lot compared to what most used bikes have in the current market (and that's how I read Bevo's comments).

Most used bikes I see for sale have under 10k mikes and many have only a few thousand. Most buyers simply are not long-haul riders and, in fact, usually buy on impulse and end up riding very little. That's great for buyers like us b/c we get super low mileage bikes for used prices.

For comparison, I looked at a 2004 Roadstar a few hours south of me for $4k with an amazing paint job and list of upgrades. It was winter pricing I suppose, but it wasn't the only one I saw.

If you're willing to travel a bit, perhaps you can find better deals. If not, then take the best deal you can find and enjoy!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM

There's an 04 for 5k in des moine, 03 for 5300 too.
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/sear...tar&catAbb=sss

But 20k is nothing on the star. I have 40k, and I've seen guys with 150k on their R*. I'd consider look/mods long before mileage.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode