Goldwing Suspension, hard bags, trunk, with pictures! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Goldwing Suspension, hard bags, trunk, with pictures!

Last weekend I installed a hydraulic adjustable shock off a goldwing, hard bags with built in signals, and trunk. I took off and discarded the factory rear signals, they were damaged and fairly ugly to begin with.

First I took off the "stuff"

Then the rear tire and brake caliper came off

Old shock came out

Fitting the new shock

Installed the pump under the right side cover and fed the hose between the oil reservoir to under the bike

Then when tapping the front suspension bolt in this popped out and I freaked out because I had no idea where it came from but looked really important

Fortunately I found that it came from the socket extension I was using as an extender to tap the bolt in

Drilled a hole and put the switch in on the left side. Up stiffens the suspension and down softens it

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Got a trailer wire adapter harness for the lights

Wiring was not fun, but definitely could have been worse
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ACkCTdp.jpg[img]

Buttoned up

I'm not done. The trunk sits higher than I want it, so I'm going to bring it down 1.5" or so. Once I have everything where I like it, I'm taking the mounting brackets off and painting them with a high gloss black.

Also I'm making spacer bars that will fill the gaps between the bags and the rear fender and hide any wiring.

The bag lights are functional and very visible as running, turn, and brake.

Also put on new master cylinder, new mirrors, clutch perch, clutch and brake levers, changed out my iphone4 holder for an iphone5 holder.

At least it's ride-able now, even if it's not as pretty as it could be.

Had to break it up because of the 8 image per post limit...

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 PM

Fatjay,

Wow, that looks great...but more importantly did you take it for a scoot? What do you think of your goldwing suspension? I rode on the back of one of those once, yeeehaaaa it's a couch :-) Even better than the electraglide harley the boyfriend has for backseat comfort. Course, might be because the boyfriend is a speed demon...lol.

Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

The suspension feels great. Very comfortable. Best $200 I've ever spent, night and day vs the old suspension. If you're interested I know a guy that will sell it modified and ready to bolt on

I went for a brief ride, this is hte first time the bike has been together since my accident last fall. I started off and it was running strange, and I realized it was only running on one cylinder. Then it sputtered and I lurched forward. The second cylinder was slowly coming to life in spurts. Again and again it sputtered and gave me more power. Before long I was running on both cylinders and roaring down the road. I'm still a bit shaky since the last time I was on, I hit the ground at 50mph, but I"m taking it slow. I was going to go on a poker run Sunday but felt I wanted more time to get back int he feel of it. I had planned to finish friday night, but ended up finishing late saturday, just enough for a quick 10mi run around town.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 01:05 PM

I'm not a huge fan of poker runs - around here they are bar to bar and everyone is drinking. I try to keep my distance from riders who are drinking and riding as they are bound to suck at one or the other ;-) Welcome back to two wheels even if it was a short scoot!

Annie
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM

I'd be interested in getting details of the 'ready to bolt on' version, but also like to hear what you had to do to make it work yourself.

I've looked at the progressive rear springs and adjustable shocks, but its just not in the budget for the current build.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Poker runs here are generally firehouse to firehouse, start and stop at different dealers.

Basically you take off the rear wheel/brake caliper, take out front suspension bolt and rear suspension bolt, slide it out. Pump goes under right side cover and hose slid through to the shock and banjo bolted on. You can buy a pre-made harness or make one. The shock/pump was $150, the harness $50. Then add hydraulic fluid($4.99), prime and work out the air. Bolt it together and you're on your way.

Having never done it or anything like it, it took me 3 hours, a 17mm socket, 8mm socket, 14mm socket. Now that I've done it, it would take me 30min, tops.

The price is a LOT less than a factory replacement.

Modification was adding grommets, filing and fitting washer spacers, aligning and drilling new hole as the roadstar takes a shorter shock.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Here's a video of a walk around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpupxuLIcJ8

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

great documentation. nice work

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks much, took some fine tuning to get bugs worked out.

Buttoned up, flags on, windshield on, little clean-up.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode