A month of suspense on what is wrong with my R* - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

A month of suspense on what is wrong with my R*

Last month i was going to take a trip 400 miles round trip. I left my house the bike spit from the carb. I didnt think anything of it but maybe alittle cold. I got about 100 miles and the bike kind off hesitated while cruising at 70 mph. didn t think nothing of it just kind of weird. (this was about 50 miles from where i gassed up. Seemed kind of strange but kept on goin. Got to my destination and filled up the bike. After filling up the bike started riding strange. (been riding it for 12 yrs) i get to my son's and the bike is not running right. Everytime i go to wot the bike would hesitate and not want to take gas. I was missing on the rear cylinder. Plug all black with unburned gas. So i decided to take my sons bike home and pickup my truck and trailer and go back and get my bike. In which i did. I decided to put it in a local bike shop (Big Mistake) They had the bike for two weeks. Could not find the problem. Stated they had checked everything even changed ECM. I told them that i would like to get the bike back and to stop tryin to find out whats wrong with it. In which they did. I picked up the bike to the tune of 8 hrs labor and 150.00 in parts .total 652.00 and its still not running right. I got it home and checked firing. Intermitting fire on front and back Cylinders. This was checked with a timing light. All ignition compontents were checked out in accordance with the yamahaservice manual. I decided to clean all electrical compontent connectors. While pulling off the fuse block and disconnecting the ECM box i noticed bare wires on the lowest plug of the ecu. Like a short. so i fixed it and put the bike back to running condition. It started fine and idle fine and now it will take throttle with no problems. But it all started from a spit to a no go throttle. So if some one is having a problem like that check the wires going into the control box. the two wire that grounded out were both the gray and the orange wires for both coils. I have owned this bike since 2002. It is a 1999 model, the only mods were a set of cobra drag pipes, jet kit and barons BAK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:44 PM

Glad you figured it out - nice work.

If only we had pics of this wires so we'd know what to look for in the future. ......

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

where the wires shorted

the wires shorted at the lower plug in of the ECU box located infront of the battery box between the rear fuse panel and ECU apparently the wires were rubbing on the back of the fuse cover attachment bolt. the lower plug for the ecu is very close to the back of where the fuse box attaches to the bike. This web site was very useful to me. www.VSOC-eastanglia.org.uk/xv1600.pdf Hope it helps any one else out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode