relay unit ? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

relay unit ?

the roadstar has a relay unit on it 3EN81950-00-00. Just what does this unit do? I know it runs the fuel pump ok what else does this unit do? I appreciate any input on it. Thanks Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:21 PM

Where on the bike is the relay? I know them by location but not by relay number. Fuel pump relay is fuel pump only iirc though.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

the relay is located in the right side cover next to the flasher relay. Page 7-13 of service manual they call it a unit relay (diode)

Last edited by deemudduck; 05-02-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:24 PM

According to the wiring diagram the fuel pump is the only thing on that relay.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Fat Jay, I don't get any continuity through the skyblue and blue yellow on the ignition check portion of the service manual but on the fuel pump check out it is good. Im not that good with elect diagrams sorry when it comes to electrics I m totally lost. I have checked the whole ignition system out and this is the only part that doesn't check out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 PM

If the fuel pump comes on for 4-6 seconds when you turn the key, then shuts off until the bike starts, Neither relay or pump are the problem.

If the fuel pump does not come on, disconnect the fuel pump's plug next to the pump, stick a test light into the plug that is not connected to the pump.

If it lights up when you turn the key, the pump is the problem. If not, the relay or fuse is the problem. Fuse box is under the left side cover. If the fuse is ok, the relay is bad.

2001 Yamaha Roadstar
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Im thinking the relay is bad

checked the sky blue and blue yellow wire no continuity, then checked out the fuel pump part of the relay is working and part is not. So I ordered the relay and waiting for it to come in. Fat Jay I appreciate you help. I will follow up once the new relay gets here I also ordered the inline diode just to make sure. I can t find it on the parts list but after reading some post on road star clinic I found it on the 2004 road star. Imagine Yamaha forgot to put it on the 99-03 models. I even called Yamaha in Georgia they said to go to Radio Shack imagine that! Thanks again for your help! Dee
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Yep the relay was the problem! I replaced the relay and its back to its old self!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode