steering bushing help - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Kel

Question steering bushing help

Been having problems with a wobbly front end (thankfully, not a bad problem yet), and while getting my rear tire replaced I asked them to check out out. they said my steering bushing is loose, and told me it would run me around $330 to do the job. No thank you!

Does anybody on here care to put down a step by step DIY for tightening these down? Thanks for any help you can give!

Kel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 PM

Check this out. This should give you an idea if you want to change the bearing yourself. Pay attention to the part where the nut is adjusted. If the nut is just loose, your method will be similar.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 11:51 PM

I could be wrong but I don't think that is a roadstar in the video

Do the bearings just need tightening, or replaced? How many miles on your roadie? If properly maintained, I would guess those bearings are 100k miles or better.

If bearings need to be replaced, I think I might take the offer of $300-350 for the job if that includes bearings and all other parts.

If just needs to be tightened, you're looking at about an hour job and nothing terribly difficult (I just did my Strat about an hour ago, so pretty fresh in my mind )

I did NOT replace the bearings/races, but I did repack with new Mobile 1 synthetic red after cleaning out all old grease (not as easy on bottom as I didn't press out the bearing). The video has the basic steps, you'll just have a lot more to remove and replace on the roadstar. My strat manual says to tighten to 37 ft lbs then loosen and re tighten to 13 ft/lbs which is hardly more than finger tight, but I used a spanner and torque wrench to be sure.

Here are a few pics from earlier tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1370148255.517411.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	10977

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1370148295.950545.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	10985

Not sure why the threads need grease, but the Strat service manual is clear that the lower set of threads on the upper stem should be greased. Overall, be VERY careful with the aluminum nuts and threads on the stem as damage is very easy. The top-most stem nut (first you will remove) requires a very big socket (36mm for the strat) and the nut rests right at the edge of the threads so if you accidentally tighten it rather than loosen it, you can run the nut out of the threads and damage the nut. If you then try to remove the nut, it will strip the threads off the stem (if it goes that way, split the nut and save the stem).

All the warnings aside, it is a pretty easy job and within the one hour range especially if all you do is tighten the lower nuts without removing the stem to repack the bearings.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Kel

Thanks all! I've got almost 20k miles on her. Bought at 16. The tech said no replacement was necessary and it just needed tightening, hence my hell no to 300 plus dollars haha. I'll study my tech manuals a bit more, and schedule a date lol.

Of course, Any other guidance is always welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode