Gas Gauge - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Gas Gauge

I have 2000 Roadstar Silverado 1600 cc. for the past 2 months, when I fill up the gas gauge doesn't register for quite a while. Sometimes 50-60 km before the needle goes all the way over to full. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM

I had the same trouble with my 03 Roadstar. It got to the point where it would not register at all. Ended up changing the sending unit in the tank. Cured the problem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR'S R-LINER View Post
I had the same trouble with my 03 Roadstar. It got to the point where it would not register at all. Ended up changing the sending unit in the tank. Cured the problem.
mine was slow to show today, came up in about 3 miles or so. How hard is it to change the sending unit? i dont think its hard, but where is it at in the tank?

2001 RoadStar 1600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 PM

Gas gage

If the Roadstar is like the Liners it is normal that the gage does not register right away after filling. I don't know how long it takes, I just look down later and it is working. There have been some bad sending units and some loose cable connectors. But if it seems consistant I would not worry about it. Maybe it takes a while for the processor to average in the data.

Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 PM

There is actually a suppression circuit built into the fuel gauges of Star motorcycles to prevent the needle from flopping around as you corner, start moving & stop. It should come up to correct level in just a couple miles or a few minutes of riding. If not there could be any of several problems to check.

Many Star bikes are very picky about having a fully charged battery to run right & make everything work like it should. It might start & run but if your battery doesn't show at least 13.5 volts on a DMM/VOM after sitting overnight, your battery is probably not up to snuff anymore. Batteries sulphate over time and that will kill a battery faster than anything else short of breaking it. Using a de-sulphating intelligent charger like an Optimate can give you twice the life in your battery than just using a trickle charger. Don't use car/truck chargers on motorcycle batteries unless you own the battery store.

Make sure your connectors under your tank are clean. Since we ride outdoors I keep a can of DeOxit around the garage & use it to clean the major electrical connectors on my bike every year when it comes out of hibernation from winter. Condensation gets into everything when the weather changes and can cause corrosion. Regular contact cleaner is not as good as DeOxit so don't confuse the two. I've tried everything else & DeOxit kicks everything else off the planet at removing corrosion from electrical connectors. A small can is about $10 (USD) so it's not cheap, but it's cheap compared to replacing anything electrical on a Star motorcycle. A little bit goes a long way so look at it as a small investment. Using a little vaseline around the edges of all your electrical connectors will help keep them clean & dry for much longer. You could also buy dilectric grease for that, but vaseline is a lot cheaper.

Your sending unit inside the tank could be getting cruddy. Use fuel system cleaner at least twice/yearly to keep things from gumming up. Some guys do it every month or even every tank. Arguments will abound on which one works best but I've used Seafoam with better results than anything else and I work at a Yamaha dealership that sees dozens of bikes every week in the service department. Many of them have 'old fuel issues' & guess what we use (or at least try) in every one of them before we tear them apart to rebuild or clean? (hint - it's not a Yamaha product).

The gauge could be going bad but it's usually the last thing to go & by FAR the most expensive part of the equation. I wouldn't start tearing into your gauge cluster until everything else checked out first. Throwing money at parts until it's fixed can get real expensive real fast. Start with the easy cheap stuff first & most of the time you'll save both time & cash.

Cheers,
- Jeff

Last edited by BubbaKahuna; 03-08-2011 at 07:33 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 AM

This spring when I got my motorcycle out, my gas gauge quit working as well. I put about 100 miles on it before deciding to take it apart.

I read online that sometimes the sender in the take gets funky and needs to be cleaned or a washer comes loose. I took it apart and it looked horrible, so I bought a new one from yamaha, for about $70 ish dollars.

Works like a charm now, but even with the brand new sender put it... It still takes quite a while to go from E to F after A fill up, so that is completely normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode