Road Star Silverado: Touring Strengths? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Road Star Silverado: Touring Strengths?

I've had a V-Star 950 Tourer (purchased new) for 3 1/2 years. Although I love it, and it has served me exceptionally well with practically no repairs, I am about ready to get a bigger bike. My main goal is to tour at interstate speeds for hundreds of miles a day more comfortably and with greater power.

Currently, I have my sights set on a Road Star Silverado (1650cc). The largest bike I've ridden so far is my 950 Tourer.

I would like to hear from experienced Silverado riders who have done extensive touring. How well did the bike (and you) fare, including at high speed, for say 8-10 hours a day? Any information regarding power, comfort, acceleration, gear storage, etc.?

If you rode a smaller bike before the Silverado, I'd especially like to hear about the transition. How different did the change feel? Was it mind blowing, or a different level of improvement?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by DavidY; 08-17-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 AM

As someone who once had an 800cc Suzuki Volusia I'll make it simple...do it and don't look back. You will not regret it.

Sent from my LG Motion

~~~
2000 Road Star Silverado 1600
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 PM

go for it

My last bike was a Suzuki 750 Intruder, Now I have the R* 1700 Silverado and it is a completely different feel the bike due to its weight and size is much more comfortable. It will also give you a sense of, (for lack of a better term), Security. The 750 was much lighter and prone to feeling every bump, and wind gust.

I also looked at 950 before I got the R* and I am very happy I went the way I went.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 05:15 PM

I traded a V-Star 1100 for my 2009 Road Star a little over 2 years ago. Loved the V-Star but I have no regrets. The Road Star is a great highway bike. Great handling, more power, and very comfortable.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 08:25 PM

DavidY,
While you can see that we speak highly of the comfort, the truth is like my R* brothers I dream of the day I can complete a 690+ mile trip on the R*.
I mean since picking up my bike in Feb with only 2400 miles on it, I proud to say my 2007 R* Silverado now has 7500 miles on it. I must admit the cruiser way of two wheel life is so different from the sportbike lifestyle.
My personal opinion the journey on the R* is just that a journey not a mad dash between point A to point B. Much better chance to keep the pointer off my license. Florida police seem to get a pass to cruisers. (On the ZX10 I know there have been a few time I would have been pay attention too.)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 AM

I just sold my 2006 1100 Silverado after 18 months. Bought a 2005 Silverado R*. I have ridden it about 2000 miles so far. It's a more comfortable bike on the highway for me. Everything is just a touch bigger. Broader handle-bars, more leg room, larger fuel capacity and a bit heavier. I shift into 5th at about 70-75. The engine speed on the highway is much lower than my V-Star. I loved that V-Star and it's looks but was ready for a little more long distance riding. The Road Star seemed keep the style I liked and offer more comfort at highway speeds. It was a perfect upgrade for me.

2005 Road Star 1700 Silverado & Star Light Model 19 Trailer
Mustang Seats, Passing Lights, Hwy. Bars, Throttle Lock, HitchDoc Trailer Hitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode